Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Thoughts

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Jerry Narron is like the pitcher who is taken out of the game after the bases are loaded on bloops and errors. It's not his fault he's in this mess, but he's not good enough to get out of it.
    Very, very well put.

Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Should have traded Freel when people thought he was a starter

Good stuff as always BCubb
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I would go with this maddeningly consistent line-up every single day without worrying about L-R matchups:

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Hamilton
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I would keep doing this until I started getting bashed for it on RedsZone. Then I would stop and only do it six times a week.
    I think I would have to make it my mission to bash that lineup everytime I saw Phillips in the 2 hole!

The thought of that just puts me in a cold sweat.

Swap Hamilton and Phillips and then I would have no problem being the manager getting my lineup bashed by RedsZone on a daily basis!

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think Phillip's power is wasted there, and Hatteberg's on base skills is wasted in the 6th hole. Plus (I assume you forgot this) EE needs to be playing over Freel.

I'd go:

Hatteberg
    Encarnacion
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hamilton
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I think this is ideal because you have patient guys at the top, top producers in the middle, and guys who can knock in runs near the bottom. Plus, I think Phillips is close enough in ability with Hamilton, that you can even break up the lefties without sacrificing ability.
    Ohmygod... I can't BELIEVE I forgot about EdE! That's just embarrassing. Anyway, my point is that Narron should FORGET about the whole L-R matchup thing and go with a lineup that favors his best hitters getting more at-bats AND protection from those who follow them. I'm tired of his tinkering!
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I think I would have to make it my mission to bash that lineup everytime I saw Phillips in the 2 hole!

The thought of that just puts me in a cold sweat.

Swap Hamilton and Phillips and then I would have no problem being the manager getting my lineup bashed by RedsZone on a daily basis!
    Okay, okay... so Phillips shouldn't be in the two hole. Sorry guys. How about this one:

Freel
    Hamilton
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

Does that work better?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Ohmygod... I can't BELIEVE I forgot about EdE! That's just embarrassing. Anyway, my point is that Narron should FORGET about the whole L-R matchup thing and go with a lineup that favors his best hitters getting more at-bats AND protection from those who follow them. I'm tired of his tinkering!
    I think putting Phillips ahead of Hamilton accomplished both things.

Hamilton and Phillips are both pretty decent hitters. Picking one over the other probably wont make a difference. You may was well set it up with a righty in the middle if you aren't really losing any offensive ability.

The lefty-right thing can be important for match-ups late in the inning, it's just that Narron goes overboard. If you don't sacrifice anything by switching some players around by doing the lefty-righty thing, then you should do it.

Okay, okay... so Phillips shouldn't be in the two hole. Sorry guys. How about this one:

Freel
    Hamilton
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

Does that work better?
    You still have Freel starting over EE, and you still have Freel, with a terrible OBP, batting leadoff.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    You still have Freel starting over EE, and you still have Freel, with a terrible OBP, batting leadoff.
    Phillips
    Hamilton
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

Okay. Freel is out of the lineup now and EdE is in there. I'm not sure what's going on in my head.

BTW, I might as well reveal my identity now: I am Jerry Narron, in case you hadn't already figured it out from my lineup foibles.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    BTW, Freel's OBP is terrible this year, but hasn't it hovered around .370 in the past? That would qualify him as a leadoff man, right?

Phillips
    Hamilton
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

Okay. Freel is out of the lineup now and EdE is in there. I'm not sure what's going on in my head.

BTW, I might as well reveal my identity now: I am Jerry Narron, in case you hadn't already figured it out from my lineup foibles.
    Don't like Phillips leading off either. I'd try

Hatteberg 1b
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Griffey rf
    Hamilton cf
    Phillips 2b
    Gonzalez ss
    Ross c
    Pitcher

With a lefty on the mound:

Freel CF
    Dunn LF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Conine 1B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross C
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Don't like Phillips leading off either. I'd try

Hatteberg 1b
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Griffey rf
    Hamilton cf
    Phillips 2b
    Gonzalez ss
    Ross c
    Pitcher

With a lefty on the mound:

Freel CF
    Dunn LF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Conine 1B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross C
    Okay... but for the sake of argument, what would be the lineup you would trot out there every day if you could only pick one? (That was my original intent in posting to this thread: finding out what the consensus lineup would be if we just had one regular group every day.)

Okay... but for the sake of argument, what would be the lineup you would trot out there every day if you could only pick one? (That was my original intent in posting to this thread: finding out what the consensus lineup would be if we just had one regular group every day.)
    Tough question with Hatte on the team. If I could platoon, Hatte is more of an OBP guy who I'd bat in the top 2 while Conine, though not a slugger, does seem to move runners along a little and I like him better at 6th or so. Assuming you mean no platoon, I'd can them both and go with Votto:

Hamilton CF
    Dunn LF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Griffey RF
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Gonzalez SS
    Ross C

Might start out with Votto lower and flip he and Phillips once he establishes himself a bit. Encarnacion should feast in between all those lefties.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?