Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati fans starting to burn out because of slow start

Cincinnati fans starting to burn out because of slow start

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsstand.html

By Kyle Nagel
    Staff Writer

Friday, June 08, 2007

Cincinnati resident Chris Heldman has tickets for Saturday's Reds game against the Cleveland Indians. As a lifelong Reds fan, he'll be watching closely, both because of his allegiance to the team and to the 2,594 other Reds fans he talks with often.
    "I know if they lose, there will be a lot of debate on the site," Heldman said.
    A co-founder of the popular Reds discussion Web site RedsZone.com, Heldman is in a unique position to judge the pulse of the Cincinnati fan base. Lately, as the Reds have fallen to the bottom of baseball, more and more fans have turned against their hometown team.
    With a little more than one-third of the season completed and 53 home games remaining — beginning with tonight's three-game series opener against the Indians — some who spend time observing large amounts of fans say the Reds could be facing a lonely summer along the Ohio River.
    Even if giveaway nights, minor-league call-ups and good weather maintain the attendance at GABP, those in the seats will likely be soured or mostly indifferent to the Reds, whose 9-21 record in May put them in a fight with the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals for the dubious bragging point of baseball's worst record.
    As boos rained on seemingly every bullpen appearance, Reds fans came closer and closer to turning their attention to the Bengals, Heldman said.
    "These are very, very pessimistic fans right now," said Heldman, whose site has more than 2,500 members. "They might end up choosing yard work over an afternoon at the stadium."

Very little optimism

On the popular social networking site MySpace.com, a cluster of 1,817 users has formed a group supporting the Reds. This Reds page includes a message board, where, on April 3, a topic emerged titled "reds finishing 1st?"
    Since, as the losses have piled, so has the resentment. Using sarcasm and language usually saved for manager-umpire confrontations, the younger generation of Reds fans has revolted.
    Lately, the topic titles have ranged from "Stop Going to their Games" to "I can't stand it any more," and those thoughts get response. On May 23, a user named Carlos wrote, "whats the name of the florence team? we should just start rooting for them lol."
    The Reds' struggles are also affecting other parts of Cincinnati. At GameDay Sports Café, a popular Cincinnati bar less than a block from GABP, business has significantly dropped.
    Mark Schroeder, a manager, said this week that GameDay hosted about 20 people watching road games against St. Louis. That number has dropped from the 50 or so who gather around the televisions when the Reds are winning.
    "They lose seven games straight and we lose 70 percent of our customers," Schroeder said. "We've got every television package you can think of, but if no one's interested there's not much you can do."

Still some story lines

Chad Dotson's career has taken him to Wise, Va., where the longtime Cincinnati-area resident is now a state court judge. But, through his popular Reds blog Redlegnation.com, which he maintains with four friends, Dotson stays connected to Reds fans all around the country.
    He hears the same aggravations.
    "A lot of people wonder why they're not doing anything to try to improve the bullpen," Dotson said. "That's the main frustration."
    Still, Dotson sees plenty of reasons to make the four-hour drive from southwest Virginia with his wife and two children for their usual 10 or 12 Reds games this summer. Homer Bailey, the Reds' top minor-league prospect, will make his major-league debut tonight, and many hope he enters the starting rotation. Outfielder Josh Hamilton, who missed nearly four years of baseball because of injury and drug abuse, has emerged as a potential star and one of the best stories around baseball this season.
    Plus, Dotson said, the Reds could rally in a weak division. The Milwaukee Brewers, who lead the National League Central, have the worst record for a division leader in baseball. As of Thursday, the Reds trailed Milwaukee by 11 games, but they are six games behind sub-.500 St. Louis for second place.
    "A good run is not out of the question," Dotson said.
    But not all Reds supporters are as optimistic, so the team will likely battle fan malaise throughout the summer months as they struggle to fill the seats.
    "I'm a Bengals season-ticket holder," said Heldman, of RedsZone.com, "and that's coming up fast in my rearview mirror."

Coming attractions
    As the Cincinnati Reds battle to avoid the worst record in baseball, the marketing machine has been working overtime to fill the stadium for an interleague homestand over the next nine games. Here is a sampling of some giveaways and events for fans:

Code:
    Day		Event
    Today		Bronson Arroyo cap night 
    Saturday	Cincinnati Zoo Bald Eagle Flight 
    Sunday		A Tribute to Reds Broadcasters 
    Tuesday		Bleacher Discount Special ($5 bleacher tickets) 
    Wednesday	Aaron Harang Bobblehead Night 
    June 15		Ken Griffey Jr. Checklist Poster Night
    Late arrivals
    Despite sub-.500 records, the Cincinnati Reds have drawn more fans in July and August than in April and May each of the past three seasons. Even though it can be easier to get to summer games, attendance hasn't fallen off like some would expect.

Code:
    Year		April/May Avg.		July/Aug. Avg. 
    2004		25,749			28,982 
    2005		23,458			25,527 
    2006		23,644			30,366 
    2007		23,219			TBD

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati fans starting to burn out because of slow start

Very cool, Boss. Very cool indeed.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Best!
    Story!
    Ever!

Wow...nice ink for the site.

Boss, did the reporter call you just out of the blue or is this a guy you know?

Outstanding.

Although I still take the Reds over yard work.

Pay attention to the open sky

Something readable in the Dayton Deadly News.

WTG Boss!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Although I still take the Reds over yard work.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Sadly, I'd like to dismiss this team and do something a little more productive with my evenings but I have the disease and I have no idea what the cure is. Thanks to TiVo I do get things done but once the kids are in bed I'm right in front of the TV watching every game.

I was disgusted with them on Wednesday night after Bronson was left in for the 7th and gave up the lead. I watched the Reds bat in the 8th and was just going to fast forward through the Cardinals' AB to see if we had a rally in us for the 9th. Then I noticed that McBeth was pitching. I'm sure my eyes lit up and I uttered an audible "Oooooo, McBeth". I stopped the FF and watched him pitch. I was delighted, if only for a brief moment or two. Then it was on to the futility of the 9th and my nightly grumbling trudge up the stairs and on to bed.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Being busy with my son's All-Star team is a pleasant distraction from the Reds. I must admit, I am not following as closely as I usually do. Same old, same old. This team, as currently constructed, has a lot of ugly holes and is not a lot of fun to watch. They look like they are just going through the motions. I've enjoyed watching Josh Hamilton this season and I always pause when Griffey comes to the plate. It will be interesting to watch Bailey. Thank goodness for my son's team. Otherwise, it would be a long, long, summer.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Nice article!

I'm a little concerned about the Reds marketing staff. Some of those promotions are pretty lame:

Saturday Cincinnati Zoo Bald Eagle Flight
    Sunday A Tribute to Reds Broadcasters
    What's next? "Asparagus Night" -- kids under 12 receive a free asparagus stalk?

"William Henry Harrison Bobblehead Night"?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nice article!

I'm a little concerned about the Reds marketing staff. Some of those promotions are pretty lame:

What's next? "Asparagus Night" -- kids under 12 receive a free asparagus stalk?

"William Henry Harrison Bobblehead Night"?

Don't forget, the Reds Museum has the worlds biggest ball of string this month.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Very nice read Boss. Being an out-of-towner, it is difficult to gage the pulse of the fans outside of Redszone. Would those in the Cincinnati area say the feel from the boards is inline with the town?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Don't forget, the Reds Museum has the worlds biggest ball of string this month.
    We're #1!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If they really want to draw fans to the park, the promotions would be like this:

Code:
    Today           Reds win
    Saturday        Reds win
    Sunday          Reds win
    Tuesday         Reds win
    Wednesday       Reds win
    June 15         Reds win
    It's the most absolute fool-proof way to get fans to come to the park.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If they really want to draw fans to the park, the promotions would be like this:

Code:
    Today           Reds win
    Saturday        Reds win
    Sunday          Reds win
    Tuesday         Reds win
    Wednesday       Reds win
    June 15         Reds win
    It's the most absolute fool-proof way to get fans to come to the park.

With the way this team is constructed, they would be more likely to land that Loch Ness Monster exhibit the public has been clamoring for.
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?