Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 2)

The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 2)

Please post all discussion on the 2nd day of the draft here. Day 2 of the draft starts at 11:30am.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 2)

As far as I can tell, Chris Carpenter, RHP, Kent St. is still on the board. I'd like the Reds to take a chance on him in the 6th round.

Who are some other players on Day 2 that you have on your "hope" list?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Ya can't teach speed...

Not sure I care as long as his stats show him as a pitcher!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    As far as I can tell, Chris Carpenter, RHP, Kent St. is still on the board. I'd like the Reds to take a chance on him in the 6th round.

Who are some other players on Day 2 that you have on your "hope" list?

I would also like to note that I absolutely love the drafts by the Angels and the Tigers so far. I don't think there's a pick by either of them that I don't like.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Among Day 2 names that I'll be looking for:

Evan Danieli, RHP, Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J.
    Dominic de la Osa, OF, Vanderbilt U.
    Yasmani Grandal, C, Miami Springs (Fla.) HS
    Wynn Pelzer, RHP, South Carolina U.
    Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, Saint Rose HS, Ocean Township, N.J.
    Tanner Robles, LHP, Cottonwood HS, Salt Lake City
    Greg Peavey, RHP, Hudson’s Bay HS, Vancouver, Wash
    Julian Sampson, RHP, Skyline (Wash.) HS
    Kevin Rhoderick, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.
    Hunter Morris, 1B, : Grissom HS, Huntsville, Ala.
    Patrick Johnson, RHP, : St. Stephens HS, Conover, N.C
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

This is the first year I've really followed the draft and some of its available players closely so this might be a dumb question. But what is the timeline for these guys as far as getting them signed and seeing them in Billings? Will they all go to Billings or might you see some in Dayton at the end of the year?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

My top three wishlist for today would be
    Victor Sanchez 3B, Gahr HS, CA
    Chris Carpenter, RHP Kent State
    Kevin Rhoderick, RHP- Horizon HS, Scottsdale

Among Day 2 names that I'll be looking for:

Dominic de la Osa, OF, Vanderbilt U.
    I've heard that if he falls much farther, he's going back to school al-la Matt LaPorta.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    This is the first year I've really followed the draft and some of its available players closely so this might be a dumb question. But what is the timeline for these guys as far as getting them signed and seeing them in Billings? Will they all go to Billings or might you see some in Dayton at the end of the year?
    Not a dumb question, but hard to answer. It really depends on a couple of things 1) when the player signs, and 2) how advanced the player is already.

With #1, the system was changed with the last collective bargaining agreement (IIRC) so that all players have to be signed by August 15th. In prior years teams that drafted players had negotiating rights until a week before the draft the following year. It'll be interesting to see how this change effects signings. Most players that are signed are assigned to a rookie team, like Billings, although if a player is an advanced college player, he may be assigned to Low A (Dayton) or even High A (Sarasota). It's not impossible for a player to start in Double A and advance to Triple A by the end of the season, although, obviously that player would have to be deemed near major league ready at the time of the draft (college reliever like Ryan Wagner, used only for example, not saying that was the correct career path for him).
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The majority will end up in Billings but there will probably be a few that will end up in Dayton. I know last year some of the pitchers were in Dayton by the end of the year. Some will also depend on if players get promoted from Dayton to Sarasota some of these rookies could come up to take their place in Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by larks View Post
    My top three wishlist for today would be
    Victor Sanchez 3B, Gahr HS, CA
    Forgot about Sanchez. Good call.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I wouldn't mind if the Reds took Grandal and Sanchez, although I would like to see some arms come in by the truckload.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-08-2007 at 10:58 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Grandal
    Think they'd take another catcher?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Add to the list
    Jack McGeary, LHP, Roxbury Latin HS, MA
    Kentrail Davis, OF, Theodore HS, AL

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=140

Sleepless Night
    Posted Jun. 7, 2007 9:40 pm by Alan Matthews
    Filed under: Draft Day: June 7

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.–The first day of the draft has concluded, and I’m one of three people still in the Milk House, other than the crew that’s breaking down the set.

I won’t be sleeping much tonight, as I try to sift through what was what during Day One, but the guys who are really restless are the dozen players that were ranked in our pre-draft top 100 prospects list that never heard their names called today.

Jack McGeary was the highest-ranked player on our pre-draft list, which was compiled in early May, at No. 27 who was not drafted today. That was not much of a surprise, as McGeary is seeking a signing bonus commensurate with a single-digit pick in the first round, didn’t perform as well this season as he had last fall, has committed to Stanford and comes from an affluent family that has placed a value on his education.

Some of the other players with top-100 talent who will be fielding phone calls tonight as teams try to get a gauge on what it might take to sign them if they’re drafted tomorrow, with their pre-draft ranking in parenthesis.

Chris Carpenter, rhp, Kent State (31)

Yasmani Grandal, c, Miami Springs HS (42)

Kentrail Davis, of, Theodore (Ala.) HS (54)

Cole St.Clair, lhp, Rice (56)

Nick Tepesch, rhp, Blue Springs (Mo.) HS (62)

Kevin Patterson, 1b, Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham (67)

Gary Brown, of, Diamond Bar HS, Walnut, Calif. (77)

Taylor Cole, rhp, Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas (79)

Matt Thompson, rhp, Santa Rosa (Calif.) JC (83)

Chad Jones, of, Southern Lab HS, Baton Rouge (92)

Victor Sanchez, 3b/c, Norwalk HS, Gahr, Calif. (93)

Signability was the primary reason these players remain undrafted, and as one scout broke down the scenarios in regards to Davis and Patterson, there was too much talent in this draft to hassle with trying to draft a player that teams were not sure they could sign.

“When you went in the house (to discuss signability before the draft) everything was very ambiguous and ambiguity usually means at least a million dollars,” the scout said. “Their talent didn’t match the price tag, and we’re talking significant over-pays. They’ll be premium summer draft-and-follows tomorrow morning.”

Most, or all, of these players will be taken on the second day, and if they perform well during the summer and perhaps soften their bonus demands, could possibly sign before the Aug. 15 signing deadline.

Turn Off Ads?