Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

This thread is to keep track of all selections, Reds and otherwise, as they are made in the 2007 MLB Amateur Draft. We'll open a second thread for Day 2. Feel free to post pre-draft Reds' draft rumors or other anything else you hear (draft related) in this thread.

Also, if someone wants to post a link in this thread to a live draft tracker when one becomes available via mlb.com or other, that'd be great. I have the day off work and will be watching the draft from home. Enjoy the draft and let's pray the Red's pull some serious talent.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-07-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft (Day 1)

When does the draft start?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When does the draft start?
    I believe it starts around 2 PM ET because ESPN2 is covering the beginning of the draft this year. ESPN2 is covering the draft from 2PM to 6PM ET.

The draft starts tomorrow, Thursday (6/7) at 2pm and for the first time is being broadcast on ESPN2.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2007&fext=.jsp

Draft Tracker:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp

There will be a live "pop up" draft tracker link available on mlb.com tomorrow. They usually don't put the link up until an hour or two before the draft starts. That's usually what I use to follow the draft.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Here are some more details of the draft schedule for Thursday and Friday:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2007&fext=.jsp

MLB.com has always been the first place for First-Year Player Draft fans. While that hasn't changed, a new era in Draft coverage will be ushered in on Thursday.
    The Draft joins the television age when ESPN2 airs the first round for the first time on Thursday. The network's coverage will span four hours from The Milk House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla.

That, of course, is just the beginning of the Draft coverage, and MLB.com will cover every pick for the remainder of the two-day event. There will be live multimedia coverage on both days -- in Orlando and MLB.com's New York studios -- on BaseballChannel.TV. In addition, fans can get live interactive pick-by-pick results via the exclusive Draft Tracker. With reporting on all 30 teams, plus national stories and analysis, MLB.com is still the one-stop shopping site for all your Draft needs.

ESPN2's broadcast kicks it all off at 2 p.m. ET and will air each club's first-round choice, with a maximum of five minutes between selections. The telecast will continue as the Draft is ongoing until 6 p.m. Each Major League organization is sending representatives to make the selection official on the broadcast. Hall of Famers Robin Roberts (Philadelphia Phillies), Tommy Lasorda (Los Angeles Dodgers) and Dave Winfield (San Diego Padres) are among the big names who will be in Orlando on Thursday.

"Major League Baseball is delighted that ESPN2 will provide live coverage of our Draft," said Commissioner Bud Selig. "I am glad that this agreement will give fans access to see this critical function of an organization's development. This is an idea whose time has come."

Once ESPN2's coverage ends, MLB.com takes over. At 6:15 p.m., BaseballChannel.TV will have every pick of rounds No. 2-5 and beyond if Major League Baseball goes past five rounds on the first day. No round will begin past 8:30 p.m. ET, and BaseballChannel.TV's coverage will end with the conclusion of the first day. Casey Stern hosts the action with analysts Jonathan Mayo from MLB.com and David Rawnsley from Perfect Game USA. As always, every pick of every round can be heard live exclusively on MLB.com

Day 2 coverage starts up at 11:30 a.m. from New York. Mayo and Perfect Game USA's Allan Simpson will be providing regular updates throughout the day during BaseballChannel.TV's regular programming. In addition, Mayo, Simpson and Seth Everett will do a one-hour show from 2-3 p.m. At 6 p.m., Vinny Micucci will host a one-hour show, again with Mayo and Simpson providing in-depth analysis.

While waiting for the big day, do your homework and check out the 2007 Draft section. From a breakdown of Draft prospects by position to a first-person journal from the presumed No. 1 pick to a number of features on first-round possibles to previews on all 30 teams' Draft philosophies, there's everything you'll need to be ready for when the first pick is announced on Thursday.

The complete draft will also be carried on XM on channel 189.

In the BP chat, someone asked Kevin Goldstein about the Nationals and he mentioned that he thought they would make a big splash and wouldn't go cheap. Makes it sound like the Nats may go for Wieters.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...1181161382#new

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    In the BP chat, someone asked Kevin Goldstein about the Nationals and he mentioned that he thought they would make a big splash and wouldn't go cheap. Makes it sound like the Nats may go for Wieters.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...1181161382#new
    Maybe we can take him from them for "compensation"
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'd like to start mocking the Cubs' selections now even though the picks haven't been made yet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd like to start mocking the Cubs' selections now even though the picks haven't been made yet.

-Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Especially if they take Doolittle with their first pick as was rumored a possibility. Are they looking for Mark Grace reincarnate?

BP's mock draft has...

-Wieters being taken by the Nats
    -Reds taking Aumont and praying Ahrens is still available later
    -Porcello being taken by the Twins at #28

I don't know if swinging for the fence on the first pick is a good idea or not considering we've got a lot of guys to sign, but Porcello would be sweet.

Put Porcello in the Wieters boat for me. If he's there at #15, I'd pull the trigger.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Put Porcello in the Wieters boat for me. If he's there at #15, I'd pull the trigger.
    Agreed. Can't pass up a talent like that at 15.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am so P.O.'d right now. My boss walked in today and said 'You have to work until 6:30 either tomorrow or Friday, you can pick.'

Well tomorrow is the draft, and Friday I have tickets for the game. On the bright side though, I get to work all next week 8-6:30..... what was the bright side again? I need a new job.

Turn Off Ads?