Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Latest BA rankings have Ahrens 22, Kozma 24 (and rising) and Weathers 18
    You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. BA originally had Kozma at #39 in their Top 200. I still would prefer another pick, and I'm guessing that they will take a college player instead of a high school player with their first pick, but I've been surprised before. The only pick I think I'd absolutely hate at #15 that I've heard the Reds having interest in is Borbon.

I also would hate to see the Reds go signability with the first two picks and draft players well ahead of where they should be taken with those first two picks. If you're going to reach with pick #15, then try and grab someone that has fallen to you at #34 to "bridge the gap."
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    But, he's got 1st round talent.

No matter what happens because of the number of picks the Reds have in the first 5 rounds, I don't think you'll see them draft college freshmen, sophmores, or juniors. If they take a college player, it'll be a senior, unless they are planning on just punting that pick, IMO.
    Did they change the eligibility rules? I thought once you went to college you couldn't be drafted until three years later, i.e, after your junior year or if you got a redshirt then after your sophomore year.

When did this change?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Personally, I'd love to see Adkins from Tennessee at 34.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Did they change the eligibility rules? I thought once you went to college you couldn't be drafted until three years later, i.e, after your junior year or if you got a redshirt then after your sophomore year.

When did this change?
    It didn't. RL just lost his mind.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Are there many college seniors that have top 5 round talent this season?
    Looking at the first round there are 2 of them (LaPorta and Weathers). Beyond that, ummm, not much...

*Because I have the power to do so, I'm going to go back, edit all of my posts and yours and make myself appear intelligent. I'll see you guys in about 10 hours.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-07-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It didn't. RL just lost his mind.
    And he wants to be our minor league dictator...

Interesting
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

When did this change?
    Arguing with 2 freaking lawyers over fine print. :fineprint

:whiteflag:

-Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

according to the Reds website, they now favor Moustakas and Detweiler. Granted neither will probably fall that far, but I found it interesting:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...2007&fext=.jsp
    Go BLUE!!!

And he wants to be our minor league dictator...

Interesting
    OK, it's me, Red Leader.

Sorry about those earlier posts. Chip hacked into my account and started posting a bunch of garbage. I've notified Boss and taken care of the problem.

That Chip, always joking around...

:
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-07-2007 at 11:23 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Good news everyone - according to our minor league forum leader, The gregarious Red Leader, for signability reasons the Reds will not be drafting any 6th, 7th, 8th graders, nor any HS freshman, sophomores, juniors, nor college freshman or sophomores.

All Hail Red Leader!
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Here ya go RL - you might need this to tell me how you hate us guys

- - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Good news everyone - according to our minor league forum leader, The gregarious Red Leader, for signability reasons the Reds will not be drafting any 6th, 7th, 8th graders, nor any HS freshman, sophomores, juniors, nor college freshman or sophomores.

All Hail Red Leader!
    You are correct.

Also, we'll be going hard after foreign players in this draft. That's what I've been told at least.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

just a thought, but shouldn't we have a "real" draft thread where there aren't >5 pages before the 1st pick is even made? It would be nice to have for quicker reference.
    Go BLUE!!!

Rumors flying all over the place a lot different than last year when everyone knew we were taking Stubbs.

Interesting tidbits picked up from RedsReporter:

Nick Schmidt, LHP, Arkansas
    The Schmidt rumor has popped up in a few places, with the Reds taking the big polished lefty ace from the SEC. Schmidt has a plus fastball and a plus changeup to go with excellent command. Some may say it's an overdraft because he's listed in most places in the 22-28 range, but it's not overdrafting if you get the guy you really wanted

Blake Beavan, RHP, HSBaseball America reports that the Reds would love to see Beavan fall to them, but it's highly likely that someone will take him before 15. Big 6'7 righty with a nasty 96mph heater and pinpoint control.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Nice article about Kozma...

SHERRY BROWN / Tulsa World
    Pete Kozma

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer
    4/18/2007
    Last Modified: 4/18/2007 2:45 AM

Owasso has produced some of the state’s top baseball players in recent years. Pete Kozma may be the best.

OWASSO -- Add Pete Kozma to the growing list of major league baseball talent from Owasso.

Fourteen former Rams have or are currently playing professional baseball.

In the past two weeks Kozma has had private workouts with Texas, Detroit, Boston, Minnesota, Toronto and the New York Yankees in anticipation of the June amateur draft.

While that might be heavy stuff for most 18-year-olds, the senior shortstop is taking it all in stride.

"I try not to think about (the draft)," he said. "Nobody really knows where a player is going until maybe the night before."

As for the workouts, Kozma admitted he was pretty nervous.

"At each one I was a little more relaxed," he said. "I did all right in the first couple of workouts but I thought I did better in the last couple."

A projected first to third round pick, Kozma could be the highest draft choice ever to come out of the Rams' program.

"That's what we've heard," Owasso coach Larry Turner said. "There is much more interest in Pete than there was in any of our previous guys.

"Pete is a quiet guy, he's very unassuming. We've talked to him a lot about the fact that he has a rare opportunity, that he could be set for life."

Kozma has a back-up plan in place should the major league gig fall through. He signed with Wichita State in the fall.

"We'll just have to see what happens," he said. "Right now I'm thinking about school. When the draft comes around, I'll talk about that with my parents (Elaine and Robert). But I don't want to think about the draft right now."

Currently, he is focused on getting the Rams a Class 6A championship.

Owasso reached the finals the last two years, losing to Union in both title games. As a freshman, Kozma was on the roster when Owasso defeated Edmond North for the 2004 championship.

"That was the unbelievable feeling," Kozma said. "I can't even describe it and I wasn't even playing -- it was just amazing."

Batting a team-best .500, Kozma also leads the team in hits (35), runs scored (32), home runs (5), triples (4), stolen bases (7), doubles (12) and is second in RBIs (30). Remarkably, he has just one strikeout in 84 plate appearances.

"My senior year has been okay," he said. "I don't focus on the numbers. I just go out there and play. If you get all wrapped up in that stuff your head starts to spin and that's all you are thinking about. It messes you up at the plate."

A three-year starter, Kozma came into this final high school season with a .477 career batting average.

He posted unbelievable numbers as a junior -- 63 hits, 11 home runs, 19 doubles, 11 stolen bases. His .553 average is the best all-time in Rams history.

His philosophy at the plate is simple.

"Before I step in the batter's box, I clear my mind of everything," he said. "When I'm on deck I'll study the pitcher, see what his sequence is so I'm ready when I step in."

He uses the same calming philosophy on defense or even when playing video games with buddies Craig Meyer and Jarrod Huneryeager. Their favorite game is Tiger Woods 2007.

"I'm pretty good," he said with a smile. "I hold my own."

"Petey never gets excited," Huneryeager said. "He doesn't even get excited about video games. He's the same when he loses as when he wins. It's pretty cool that I got to play baseball with a guy who could be a millionaire in a month or so."

Turner's cell phone rings constantly and the majority of those calls are scouts interested in Kozma.

"It's been unbelievable," Turner said. "If we had had 2-3 more days in Florida he probably could have worked out for every team that has spring training there.

"We've even had assistant general managers and vice presidents of baseball operations come in to see Pete. The Tigers and Rangers have been here multiple times."

Assistant coach Steve Holleman maintains Owasso's Web site to keep scouts informed of where they can watch Kozma.

"That's helped some, but teams call every day making sure he hasn't rolled an ankle or make sure he's playing on that particular day," Turner said.

Kozma has no favorites when it comes to the draft, preferring to keep his options open.

However, he said, "My dad is a huge Tigers fan. I have to admit I liked what they did last year."

Kozma said his senior year hasn't been anything special yet.

"So far, I've done my business, nothing spectacular."

Turn Off Ads?