Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Rumors flying all over the place a lot different than last year when everyone knew we were taking Stubbs.

Interesting tidbits picked up from RedsReporter:

Nick Schmidt, LHP, Arkansas
    The Schmidt rumor has popped up in a few places, with the Reds taking the big polished lefty ace from the SEC. Schmidt has a plus fastball and a plus changeup to go with excellent command. Some may say it's an overdraft because he's listed in most places in the 22-28 range, but it's not overdrafting if you get the guy you really wanted

Blake Beavan, RHP, HSBaseball America reports that the Reds would love to see Beavan fall to them, but it's highly likely that someone will take him before 15. Big 6'7 righty with a nasty 96mph heater and pinpoint control.
    I like both of those picks. Schmidt is very polished, a true "pitcher" and not a "thrower". Beavan has tremendous upside, as he's another one of the Texas high school flamethrowers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    just a thought, but shouldn't we have a "real" draft thread where there aren't >5 pages before the 1st pick is even made? It would be nice to have for quicker reference.
    Thought about that.

Maybe have this be the discussion thread. Maybe have another thread for just selections and then another thread of just Reds picks?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Yeah, a separate thread listing just the picks would be good. Maybe one only you can post in RL

Then this thread we can discuss
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Yeah, a separate thread listing just the picks would be good. Maybe one only you can post in RL

Then this thread we can discuss
    I'm going home in 15 minutes. I likely won't be online posting picks, but I'll be watching on ESPN2.

I'll start a MLB Amateur Draft Selection Thread and sticky it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote from Casey Weathers on his mentality towards closing:

Although the recent trend in Major League Baseball of closers sprinting to the mound from the bullpen as their home crowd erupts to the sound of heavy metal gives the impression that closers need to get their adrenaline pumping in order to perform at the highest level, Weathers subscribes to a different approach.

"The key is to stay as calm as possible," Weathers said. "I think the more pumped up you get, you tend to get a little out of whack. I just have to stay relaxed and treat it like I'm just throwing in the bullpen."

Sounds like a smart kid and would be a solid choice for the Reds at 15. Good fastball and wicked slider to go with a great mentality.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

10. Giants Jarrod Parker RHP Norwell HS, Ossian, Ind.
    Expect San Francisco to take a premium arm here, especially since most of them will still be on the board for this pick. Parker is the best non-Boras prep arm in the draft and has a case to be the best overall.

I umpired a game this kid pitched in Indianapolis and he was phenomenal!!! He throws in the 90's and a very nice curve ball. Should he be there when the Reds pick, they need to get him!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Quote from Casey Weathers on his mentality towards closing:

Sounds like a smart kid
    Obviously. He went to Vanderbilt.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Jim Callis reports the Royals appear to have settled on Mike Moustakaswith the No. 2 overall pick. That slides Josh Vitters to the Cubs at No. 3. The Royals appeared to have settled on Vitters at 2 last night, but they now have changed their minds. Indiana prep righty Jarrod Parker is the odd-man out in this scenario, dropping from the Cubs at 3, probably to the Diamondbacks at 9 or Giants at 10. He won’t get past the Marlins at 12.
    This leaves the Orioles as the biggest question mark in the first five picks. Stay tuned.

The anticipation is killing me

I just hope I'm not incredibly dissapointed!
    Last edited by cincy09; 06-07-2007 at 12:36 PM.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

I will be stuck at work all afternoon. I want to thank everyone in advance for their contributions to this thread. It is much appreciated.

Why am I filled with dread over this draft?? I just don't trust anybody involved in the process.

Draft on TV..this is gonna be GREAT!

Until the Reds pick that is.
    Go Gators!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'm against the Weathers idea on general principle. The Reds do not qualify in my mind as the type of club that would benefit from a fast-to-the-majors reliever over a high-upside, longer-range pick.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    The anticipation is killing me

I just hope I'm not incredibly dissapointed!
    Ahhhhhh, the credo of every girl I ever was about to sleep with for the first time.

Followed by, "Yup, incredibly disappointed."
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

How much time does each team get for their pick? I'm just trying to get an estimate on when the Reds will be on the clock.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

There are supposed to be just five minutes maximum between picks. In other words, much faster than the NFL draft.

Turn Off Ads?