Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

Re: The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft (Day 1)

It will be interesting if the mandatory 5 minutes between picks causes teams (like the Reds) to start having discussions about whether to take certain guys rather than just blindly follow the pre-draft strategy.

For example gambling that Ahrens falls.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When: June 7-8
    Where: Disney's Wide World of Sports (Orlando, FL)
    Start Time: 2 PM Eastern Standard Time

Coverage
    TV: ESPN 2 (live)
    Internet: MLB.com Draft Central (live)

First Round Order:
    1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
    2. Kansas City Royals
    3. Chicago Cubs
    4. Pittsburgh Pirates
    5. Baltimore Orioles
    6. Washington Nationals
    7. Milwaukee Brewers
    8. Colorado Rockies
    9. Arizona Diamondbacks
    10. San Francisco Giants
    11. Seattle Mariners
    12. Florida Marlins
    13. Cleveland Indians
    14. Atlanta Braves
    15. Cincinnati Reds
    16. Toronto Blue Jays (from Rangers for type A Catalanotto)
    17. Texas Rangers (from Astros for type A Lee)
    18. St. Louis Cardinals
    19. Philadelphia Phillies
    20. Los Angeles Dodgers (from Red Sox for type A Lugo)
    21. Toronto Blue Jays
    22. San Francisco Giants (from Dodgers for type A Schmidt)
    23. San Diego Padres
    24. Texas Rangers (from Angels for type A Matthews)
    25. Chicago White Sox
    26. Oakland A's
    27. Detroit Tigers
    28. Minnesota Twins
    29. San Francisco Giants (from Mets for type A Alou)
    30. New York Yankees

Mock Draft
    1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University
    2. Kansas City Royals: Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep (N.J.)
    3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (Calif.)
    4. Pittsurgh Pirates: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
    5. Baltimore Orioles: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State
    6. Washington Nationals: Max Scherzer, RHP, No school
    7. Milwaukee Brewers: Mike Moustakas, SS/3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
    8. Colorado Rockies: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson
    9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Phillipe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec
    10. San Francisco Giants: Nick Schmidt, LHP, University of Arkansas
    11. Seattle Mariners: Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt
    12. Florida Marlins: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)
    13. Cleveland Indians: Blake Beavan, RHP, Irving HS (Tex.)
    14. Atlanta Braves: Jason Heyward, Henry County HS (Ga.)
    15. Cincinnati Reds: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (Tex.)
    16. Toronto Blue Jays: Matt Dominguez, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
    17. Texas Rangers: Matt Harvey, RHP, Fitch HS (Conn.)
    18. St. Louis Cardinals: Jake Arrieta, RHP, Texas Christian University
    19. Philadelphia Phillies: Julio Borbon, OF, University of Tennessee
    20. Los Angeles Dodgers: Madison Bumgarner, LHP, South Caldwell HS (N.C.)
    21. Toronto Blue Jays: Devin Mesoraco, C, Punxsutawney HS (Pa.)
    22. San Francisco Giants: Aaron Poreda, LHP, University of San Francisco
    23. San Diego Padres: Nick Noonan, SS/2B, Parker HS, San Diego
    24. Texas Rangers: Andrew Brackman, RHP, North Carolina State
    25. Chicago White Sox: Chris Withrow, RHP, Midland Christian HS (Tex.)
    26. Oakland A's: Beau Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clark State
    27. Detroit Tigers: Tim Alderson, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale
    28. Minnesota Twins: Peter Kozma, SS, Owasso HS (Okla.)
    29. San Francisco Giants: Josh Smoker, LHP, Calhoun HS (Ga.)
    30. New York Yankees: Matt LaPorta, 1B, University of Florida

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Full Text

From the same article:
    15. Cincinnati Reds: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (Tex.)
    This one falls under the category of hearing a player's name so much with one team that it's both hard to ignore and hard to not wonder if it's true. There was some talk the Reds would also be interested in Aumont should he slide here, but all of the buzz is that they've been on Houston-area infielder Ahrens all along. He plays shortstop in high school and isn't bad there, but the consensus is that he should move to third where he should profile better both offensively and defensively.
    Last week's projection: Ahrens
    Last edited by reds44; 06-06-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    It will be interesting if the mandatory 5 minutes between picks causes teams (like the Reds) to start having discussions about whether to take certain guys rather than just blindly follow the pre-draft strategy.
    It sure would be nice to see that happen. It certainly gives someone the chance to note if a guy up near the top of the draft board has fallen into the team's lap.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am so P.O.'d right now. My boss walked in today and said 'You have to work until 6:30 either tomorrow or Friday, you can pick.'

Well tomorrow is the draft, and Friday I have tickets for the game. On the bright side though, I get to work all next week 8-6:30..... what was the bright side again? I need a new job.

Any computer access?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Flames24Rulz

As a Cub fan, I'm hoping we don't take Vitters. We have a glaring weakness at catcher and I believe Wieters can be that guy to fit the whole.

By the way, solid site.

Big changes? Jim Callis has updated his mock draft and has the Reds selecting...Pete Kozma, high school SS, who is BA's 39th best prospect. That is pretty bad.

He says that they are focused on position players such as Heyward, Borbon, Kozma and Mesoraco. Ahrens is also mentioned as a sandwich-round target.

Oh by the way, this is with Porcello ending up with Texas at 24.

If they take Kozma and Ahrens, I will be pretty disappointed that one of those picks isn't a pitcher. How they can pay $5 million for Stanton and not meet Porcello's demands is sad.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 06-07-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Actually in the latest rankings Kozma is number 24
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Actually in the latest rankings Kozma is number 24
    My bad...#39 in their top 200 rankings.

Kieth Law has changed some things:

2007 First-Round Projection
    PICK TEAM PLAYER POS. SCHOOL

1. Devil Rays David Price LHP Vanderbilt
    This one's in the bag. There's no deal done but the parameters discussed will work for both sides.

2. Royals Josh Vitters 3B Cypress (Calif.) HS
    The Royals seem to have switched focus in the last few days; it's looking very likely that they'll take a high school player, and they still haven't ruled out taking a Boras client. The Royals say that they haven't made a final decision yet, but there's a strong sentiment that they've settled or are close to settling on Vitters and will move him to first base.

3. Cubs Matt Dominguez 3B Chatsworth (Calif.) HS
    The Cubs were hoping for Vitters, but he may be gone. They would love to take Wieters, but they can't spend that kind of coin. Tim Wilken typically likes to take top-flight high school hitters in the first round, and Dominguez would be the best one on the board. The Cubs also have serious interest in Jarrod Parker, but they're leaning towards taking a position player.

4. Pirates Ross Detwiler LHP Missouri State
    The Pirates were really hoping for Vitters, but Detwiler has been a target for them for weeks. They flew Dominguez in for a workout earlier this week. Pittsburgh could also cut a deal and sign catcher Devin Mesoraco at a discount.

5. Orioles Phillippe Aumont RHP Ecole secondaire du Versant, Gatineau, Quebec
    Baltimore's choice is down to Aumont and a college player, assumed to be Wieters. However, ownership has hinted that they may mandate the selection of a college pitcher -- just as they did the year the O's took Wade Townsend and lowballed him. If Detwiler is gone, their options will be limited.

6. Nationals Mike Moustakas SS Chatsworth (Calif.) HS
    Most folks I've talked to have this pick as more or less of a lock. Here's my question: If Washington believes that Rick Porcello is the best player in the draft (as I've been told), but that they can't sign him, why would they take Moustakas when his price tag is the same as Porcello's? They're also interested in Daniel Moskos, who would make more sense if they don't want to go way over slot.

7. Brewers Matt Wieters C/RHP Georgia Tech
    This isn't a lock, but Milwaukee likes Wieters and needs a catching prospect, anyway. Their top alternatives are Dominguez and Moustakas. Milwaukee's worst-case scenario has Wieters, Dominguez, and Moustakas all gone, in which case they'd look at a deal with Devin Mesoraco.

8. Rockies Jason Heyward CF Henry County HS, McDonough, Ga.
    Colorado flew Aumont in for a workout and he threw well, but even if Aumont gets here, they're more likely to go with Heyward or Moskos.

9. Diamondbacks Daniel Moskos LHP Clemson
    Moskos is atop Arizona's realistic list for this pick, just ahead of Jarrod Parker and a bit more ahead of Nick Schmidt. Arizona would put Moskos in the bullpen and move him through their system quickly; a lot of teams are concerned that even though Moskos has three and possibly four average pitches, his physique isn't suited for starting.

10. Giants Jarrod Parker RHP Norwell HS, Ossian, Ind.
    Expect San Francisco to take a premium arm here, especially since most of them will still be on the board for this pick. Parker is the best non-Boras prep arm in the draft and has a case to be the best overall.

11. Mariners Nick Schmidt LHP Arkansas
    Seattle is looking at Schmidt and closer Casey Weathers; either way, their plan is to rush the player to the big leagues, possibly as soon as Labor Day.

12. Marlins Madison Bumgarner LHP South Caldwell HS, Hudson, N.C.
    Bumgarner is one of the hot names of the moment, sitting at or near the top of the boards for Florida, Cleveland and Atlanta. Florida would love it if Aumont reached them, and they also like Parker.

13. Indians Blake Beavan RHP Irving (Texas) HS
    Cleveland is also keeping its options open, with Bumgarner and Beavan high on their lists, as well as Moskos and Beau Mills.

14. Braves Josh Smoker LHP Calhoun (Ga.) HS
    Atlanta would prefer to get Bumgarner here, but I don't see that happening. Smoker's reduced velocity in his last two starts has scared away a number of teams.

15. Reds Casey Weathers RHP Vanderbilt
    The Reds may have to go with a college pitcher here; they like Moskos and Schmidt, but both will be gone as will Beavan. They also like Julio Borbon here.

16. Blue Jays Beau Mills 3B/1B Lewis-Clark State
    The Jays are looking above them and noticing that someone's likely to fall; if the Reds go with Borbon, the Jays could take Weathers here instead.

17. Rangers Tim Alderson RHP Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.
    Texas would love to get Beavan here, and they might go with another high school arm instead, such as Alderson. I've heard Chris Withrow linked to them, but that's probably for the sandwich round.

18. Cardinals Matt Harvey RHP Fitch HS, Groton, Conn.
    Harvey's price tag, while above slot, isn't in the stratosphere like Porcello's is. Expect St. Louis to take a high school player or a high-risk/high-reward college guy in the first, then to draft more conservatively after that.

19. Phillies Michael Burgess RHP/RF Hillsborough HS, Tampa, Fla.
    No big changes here. Top alternative is Mesoraco. They would consider Mills and make him a left fielder.

20. Dodgers Travis Mattair OF Southridge HS, Kennewick, Wash.
    The Dodgers have been in on a number of top high school players, including Mesoraco, Bumgarner, Beavan and Derek Norris, but Mattair appears to have moved up their lists, especially after having a very strong workout at their stadium over the weekend.

21. Blue Jays Peter Kozma SS Owasso (Okla.) HS
    The Blue Jays appear to be focused on acquiring a shortstop with one of their top three picks, and Kozma has moved ahead of Nick Noonan on their board.

22. Giants Aaron Poreda LHP San Francisco
    Poreda has been tied to the Giants for a long time just because he pitches in their backyard, but they legitimately like the tall left-hander, who is near the top of the college board in velocity.

23. Padres James Simmons RHP UC Riverside
    The Pads are on a small set of college arms here. Poreda may be their top guy, but he's probably gone. James Adkins is also a possibility.

24. Rangers Julio Borbon CF Tennessee
    Texas could take Borbon at 17, but it's not likely he'll go between their picks, so look for them to play the board a little bit and try to nab him here. I've heard they're on Withrow -- a Texas high school pitcher -- but that's probably not until the sandwich round.

25. White Sox Nick Noonan SS Parker HS, San Diego
    The White Sox are looking to emphasize up-the-middle players and arms. Alderson is a top choice, but he doesn't seem likely to get here.

26. Athletics James Adkins LHP Tennessee
    The surprise here is that they're considering Joe Savery, a starting pitcher from Rice who's already had one shoulder operation and who, like other Rice pitchers, has been worked very hard when he wasn't hurt.

27. Tigers Andrew Brackman RHP North Carolina State
    Detroit hasn't shied away from big-ticket players in recent years, going over slot in three of the last four first rounds -- and they also have a working relationship with Boras. They haven't gone in heavy for high school arms, so while they might consider Porcello, Brackman's a little more likely.

28. Twins Drew Cumberland SS Pace HS, Milton, Fla.
    Minnesota is on several raw high school players, but Cumberland appears to be gaining favor because he's not as raw as Will Middlebrooks or John Gilmore. Cumberland is a plus runner who has had a hamstring problem for most of the last month.

29. Giants Wendell Fairley OF/RHP George County HS, Lucedale, Miss.
    Fairley also played in the All-American game; he has a great, easy swing, and should hit for big power. This is a top-half of the first round talent falling because of some makeup concerns, but it's a potential steal for whoever takes him low.

30. Yankees Rick Porcello RHP Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J.
    I think the Yankees are just waiting to see who falls to them, and if it's a Boras client and they have to pay over slot, so be it. If they don't take Porcello or Brackman, they might look at college catching.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Weathers would be a great pick.

I agree. I'd like the Weathers pick.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I think there's about a 1% chance Julio Borbon is the pick. I don't see them going OF early at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    And it would be a great story if he and his father could pitch in the same game next season.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Word. It's good to be gold.

When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I think there's about a 1% chance Julio Borbon is the pick. I don't see them going OF early at all.
    I'm hoping the chances are less than that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?