Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffey optioned to Louisville

Coffey optioned to Louisville

To make room for Homer Bailey on the 25 man roster.

Per C. Trent.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Roster glue

Re: Coffey optioned to Louisville

Huh? Doesn't really make too much sense to me. Coffey dominated while he was down there, and earned a spot with the big club last season. His overall 2007 numbers are below average, but his fastball command looked better Wednesday night.

What are the FO's benchmarks for Coffey's return?

got alil captain in u?

intersting move by the front office but coffey has options and after what i saw from mcbeth the other nite im glad they didnt' send him down. Coffey hasn't exactly been spectacular but either has stanton or majewski. Very Very intersting move

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    intersting move by the front office but coffey has options and after what i saw from mcbeth the other nite im glad they didnt' send him down. Coffey hasn't exactly been spectacular but either has stanton or majewski. Very Very intersting move
    So why not Maj? I'd like to see a player given something specific to improve upon when sent down, and brought back up upon reaching that goal. It seems to be arbitrary the way the Reds do it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. I thought it would either be McBeth or the possible release of Santos.

I like this move. I thought Coffey should have spent more time down in AAA. When he came back he didn't do anything different than what he had done all year long. Until Coffey learns how to pitch he is going to be hit hard. He need to work on throwing a second pitch for a strike. His fastball has no difference in velocity and he tends to throw that over and over again.

2 thoughts from me:
    1. if going down to lville can do for coffey what it seems to have done for EE, then have at it.
    2. does majewski have options? can we send him down w/o losing him? i'm all for optioning him, but not ready to just cut ties completely

It was because I voted for him to be sent down in yesterdays poll on redszone. I'm glad Krivsky is starting to RECOGNIZE my talent evaluation skillz!

Reccomendations for Todd Coffey while in AAA

Learn to walk from the bullpen to the mound, and maybe you will have some energy left to get a batter or two out. Good Luck

got alil captain in u?

Re: Reccomendations for Todd Coffey while in AAA

that and learn an out pitch because he sure doesn't have one

It should have been Burton. Yes, I know the Reds risk losing him if they did that, but really, has he shown himself to be the second coming of Clay Carroll? The Reds have, or at least, implied that Coffey's future is with the team by signing him to an extension. Overuse early in the season and yo-yoing him back and forth to Louisville aren't going to help him or the Reds in the long run.

Wow, that's surprising. I'd rather it be him then McBeth though. If the Reds were in a playoff chase, Burton wouldn't be on the roster.

Per Rotoworld:

The Reds are simply being ridiculous now. At least Coffey was struggling last time they send him down. He pitched great during his two weeks in the minors, so what does the team do? Recall him, let him get two outs over two games and then demote him again. Gary Majewski has an 11.25 ERA, Rule 5 pick Jared Burton is an obvious liability due to his poor command and Mike Stanton hasn't pitched in a game the Reds have won since May 10, yet somehow Coffey is the biggest problem in the Cincinnati pen.

It's not ridiculous. Anybody in the bullpen outside of Weathers and maybe McBeth have made a case to be sent down.

I would have rather seen Majewski, but I don't think it's a huge difference.

Re: Reccomendations for Todd Coffey while in AAA

Become left handed and change your name to Mike Stanton.

Turn Off Ads?