Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Griffey goes to Braves?

If Griffey goes to Braves?

If Griffey goes to the Braves, who should the Reds get in return?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Griffey goes to Braves?

Where did this information come from?

Rafael Soriano! He would be our closer for many many years, and one of the best in baseball.

I don't think there is any rumors about Griffey to the Braves yet, but it is well known that Griffey has a no trade clause and that The Braves are one of the teams he would definitely waive his no trade clause for.

To answer the question tough, I'd ask for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Braves would probably say no, but that's where I'd start.

I realize that we just drafted a catcher in the first round, but I'd say we have at least three or four years before he's even talked about as major league ready. I don't think I can stand having Ross, Moeller, Valentin for the next three to four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2896288
    I think this is the starting point for the discussion.

KEN GRIFFEY JR./ADAM DUNN
    We're not sure it's even possible to fall out of the NL Central race. But the Reds have given it a try, by losing 25 of their last 34 games. If that full gainer continues for another few weeks, then get ready for the birds of prey to start circling over these two guys. An official of one team that inquired about Griffey says Griffey has informed the Reds he won't oppose a trade "in the right scenario." But outside of the Braves, a club he has told friends for years he'd go to, it's tough to say what he'd consider "the right scenario." So most clubs we've canvassed think the Reds are more likely to move Dunn, who is kind of their version of Teixeira, minus the Boras factor. The difference is that while Dunn wouldn't be a free agent until 2009 if he stays in Cincinnati, a trade would void his 2008 option year, allow him to hit the market this winter and make him strictly a half-year rent-a-player. So the price tag can't be as steep as Teixeira's.

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    To answer the question tough, I'd ask for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Braves would probably say no, but that's where I'd start.

I realize that we just drafted a catcher in the first round, but I'd say we have at least three or four years before he's even talked about as major league ready. I don't think I can stand having Ross, Moeller, Valentin for the next three to four years.
    I think we both agree that Salty wouldn't come back our way, but with him now up in the majors and hitting the ball well, how about Brian McCann?

Not necessarlily for Jr, but in general. The Reds are in need of an upgrade behind the plate and McCann could be expendable. What would it take to potentialy pry him away?

if junior goes to the Braves, I'll become a Braves fan, and that might be the worst thing that could happen
    Hey Homer! If you can put it together, you'll put the Reds over the top....think about it.

I'd start with an offer of Griffey/Stubbs/Cuetto for Saltalamacchia/Soriano, and see what happens

Let's see: a 38 year old outfielder, a Low-A Ball .255 hitter, and a pitcher from high A for one of the top five rookie/prospects in baseball and a guy who looks like a lights-out closer. Do the Braves improve themselves with this trade even for this year? They need at least one starting pitcher, probably two, and if they give up Soriano, they need a reliever--and he's no ordinary reliever. If they make the trade REDblooded proposes (and I wish they would!), they become worse this year and for several years to come. Schuerholz does not have a history of making that kind of mistake.

Good call Ed. I was so wrapped up in the thought of having Saltalamacchia that I forgot they have an all star in McCann with nowhere to play when Salt starts playing full time. My question, I know McCann is a decent hitter. How's his fielding? Is he a total package or a reincarnation of someone like Eddie Taubensee who is only in the lineup because of his bat....

Having said that, I don't think Griffey is going to be traded. I thought about this over the weekend, and Gregg Doyell just brought it up on his show this morning also. Would the Reds have put up the Griffey home run counter if they planned on trading him in the next month? I think he's going to be hitting number 600 as a red for better or worse.

If anyone is going, I think it's going to be Dunn.

Stubbs is STILL a highly regarded prospect, and despite how you portray it, he does have good value. Cueto also has good value as a young pitcher with strong upside.

and the thought of them moving McCann is doubtful after they wrapped him up with a contract extension this spring.

Griffey for Elvis Audrus or Joey Devine

1) Elvis has potential and is young. However, he's done jack squat in the minors.
    2) Joey Devine is a closer in the minors. Could help out soon.

Trading major leaguers for A ball prospects is how bad organizations are made.

Turn Off Ads?