Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 MLB First Year Player Draft - Cincinnati Reds

Re: 2007 MLB First Year Player Draft - Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If Reds follow their past policy.... none will go to Dayton. They pretty much put the HS guys in GCL and the college guys in Billings.
    I think you're probably right. Krivsky's MO looks to be "step by step". Let players go to the lowest level and succeed, then move them up. He doesn't seem to want to jump levels, believing that each level has its purpose. I can't say he's been 100% with that, but has anyone jumped to the big club from Chattanooga since he's been here?

That's not to say some won't jump to Dayton by season's end. I think a few players did that last year, didn't they?

Only time will tell, but I think that will ultimately be better for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

42 1258 Sean Bierman lhp Kinnelon (N.J.) HS NJ
    Vanderbilt signee.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Vanderbilt signee.
    I recall fondly the conflict I felt when the Reds drafted Jay Bruce, who was signed and sealed to Tulane if he went to college.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Im guessing this is the thread that I should post this in.

From C. Trent Rosecrans blog:

And more from Butcher, these players have signed:

Rd Player Pos. School
    5 Andrew Bowman LHP University of Nebraska
    12 Scott Gaffney SS Penn State University
    15 Matt Klinker RHP Furman University
    20 Jacob Kahaulelio SS Oral Roberts University
    23 Jason Bour C George Mason University
    25 Eli Rimes 1B Sonoma State University
    29 Steven Otterness LHP Embry-Riddle University
    31 Jordan Hotchkiss RHP Brevard College
    Last edited by CTA513; 06-12-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Im guessing this is the thread that I should post this in.

From C. Trent Rosecrans blog:
    Yep, right place. I've updated the draft thread up top. Thanks, CTA513. I appreciate it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Great start to the signing of Players. 8 players signed during the first week.

Does anybody have any information on our 15th pick matt klinker

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatfan24 View Post
    Does anybody have any information on our 15th pick matt klinker
    This is his bio from the Furman site:

Klinker is one of the players that is already under contract, FYI.

Furman: Tall, strong righthander who heads into the 2007 campaign as Furman's top starting pitcher...has a chance to rank among the SoCon's best hurlers this spring...continued improvement on mound presence could contribute to a fine senior campaign...fastball and slider rank as his top pitches...has an improving changeup...slated as Furman's Friday night starter in league series play. 2006 -- Served as the anchor to Furman's starting rotation, earning starts in 15 of 16 appearances...went 6-4 with a 3.90 ERA...paced the Paladin staff with 87 2/3 innings of work and 65 strikeouts...strong work on the hill played a key role in Furman posting a 32-23 record and 16-11 SoCon mark good for a third place league finish...32 wins matched a program season high...4.45 team ERA ranked third in the SoCon...earned his first win of the season against Miami of Ohio (6.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K)...recorded a career high 10 strikeouts over seven innings en route to an 11-0 win over Wofford...longest outing came in a 3-2 win at Appalachian State (7.2 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K)...opponents hit .299 against him...named to the SoCon Academic Honor Roll. 2005 -- Registered action as both a reliever and starter, totaling 22 appearances and seven starts...went 2-2 with a 4.38 ERA...opponents batted .256 against him...helped key Furman's strong stretch run that led to a SoCon Tournament championship, NCAA Tournament appearance, and 30-29 final record...went 2-0 with a 2.07 ERA over his final 13 appearances (39.0 IP, 36 H, 9 ER, 28 K)...four of seven starts came in mid-week contests...was the starting pitcher but did not get the decision in Furman's 3-2 win over 18th-ranked Tennessee (4.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K) and 6-2 triumph over 13th-ranked South Carolina (4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K)...hurled 5 1/3 innings of five-hit ball (2 ER, 3 K) but got no decision in eventual 5-4 SoCon Tournament championship game win over Georgia Southern...started and pitched 4 1/3 innings of four-hit ball (0 ER, 2 K) in 6-3 loss to Michigan in NCAA Tournament action...registered his second win in crucial 5-4 decision at Davidson (1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 K). 2004 -- Fashioned a solid first season, making 19 appearances in both relief and starting roles...first 12 appearances came in relief before moving into starting rotation for seven starts...went 3-3 with a 5.80 ERA over 49 2/3 innings (44 strikeouts)...earned his first victory by working 2.0 inning of perfect relief in a 1-0 win over Gardner-Webb...last win came in an 11-2 decision over Appalachian State (6.0 IP, 3 H, 2R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K)...yielded only two home runs...left-handed hitters batted only .188 (9x48) against him.

High School: Played under Bill Dreisbach at Lakota West High School...named a Great Miami Conference all-conference pitcher his senior year after leading his conference in strikeouts...was named to the Cincinnati All-City Team and the Greater Miami Conference all-conference team his senior year...also played with the Walt Sweeney Cardinals for three years under Larry Redwine.

Personal: Full name Matthew David Klinker...son of Vince and Carol Klinker...born October 8, 1984...carries a 3.18 GPA...business administration major.

Were you looking for something specific?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-13-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Reds have also signed 7th round pick third baseman Brandon Wing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The Reds have also signed 7th round pick third baseman Brandon Wing today.

Thanks. I think Waring was a good pick. Glad that he has signed.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

No, but thanks for the information. Just wanted to see his bio because I know his mom.

What do you predict for him in the future

I saw Klinker a few times in high school and the past few summers and followed his career at Furman a little. He had a pretty decent 4 years at Furman but I'm not too excited about his future as a pro. He had a 2.08 K/BB rate in 285 collegiate innings while giving up 303 H. I wish the kid the best of luck and hope he proves me wrong but I consider him a longshot to make much of an impact in this organization.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Brandon Waring could be a steal IMO. Nice to him in the fold.

This was posted in the game updates on C. Trent Rosecrans blog:

Reds announce 14th-round pick Joe Krebs, 24th-round pick Francis Meade and 41st-round pick Kevin Hickey have signed with the club.

Waring looks just like BJ Szymanski. I mean that in the positive way.

Turn Off Ads?