"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2007 MLB First Year Player Draft - Cincinnati Reds

I plan on calling him Devin.

You guys are a bunch of weirdos!

Can we maybe start a thread showing all the moves? I'm pretty confused.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

He's a catcher. I will call him Messy.

30th rd 3B Brett Bartles from Duke is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Can we maybe start a thread showing all the moves? I'm pretty confused.
    Check out the first post in this thread, 11larkin11. Every player that shows in bold has been signed.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Oops, I posted that in the wrong thread. I meant a thread about the call ups and send downs like Bruce and Cueto. Quick question, what Rosters do you guys look at? At the ones on milb.com? If so, why is Mesoraco still not on the GCL Reds roster?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Oops, I posted that in the wrong thread. I meant a thread about the call ups and send downs like Bruce and Cueto. Quick question, what Rosters do you guys look at? At the ones on milb.com? If so, why is Mesoraco still not on the GCL Reds roster?
    They won't put him on the actual roster until he reports. That might be a couple more days or even weeks away.

Mezzo. Thats what I shall call him.

Mezzo? Sounds like one of the Sopranos.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    They won't put him on the actual roster until he reports. That might be a couple more days or even weeks away.
    According to the Punxsutawney newspaper he was enroute to Sarasota to sign his contract and they predicted he'd see his first game competition early next week.

Although this article is from June 9th, it says 18th rounder RHP Taylor Jordan is expected to sign...

Big day for four players

BY JIM CAWLEY
    FLORIDA TODAY ADVERTISEMENT

WEB EXTRAS

Fantasy baseball

Related news from the Web
    Latest headlines by topic:
    • Sports
    • Cincinnati Reds
    • Major League Baseball
    Powered by Topix.net

Taylor Jordan was used to the extra attention, including scouts showing up at every game he pitched.

What the recent Merritt Island grad and his family weren't used to was the unpredictable ways of the Major League Baseball Draft.

But that all came to a head on Friday's Day 2 of the draft when Jordan was chosen in the 18th round -- 559th overall -- by the Cincinnati Reds.

"I'm really excited about it," Jordan said. "This is exactly what I was hoping for."

Other local players drafted on Friday included: University of Florida rising senior and former Sebastian River star Bryan Augenstein (Arizona, 7th round, 223rd overall), Florida Tech grad Steve Condotta (Toronto, 12th round, 385th overall) and Penn State rising senior Gary Amato, a Cocoa Beach grad (Pittsburgh, 48th round, 1,394th overall).

Jordan initially attracted interest from the Astros and Reds in the fifth round, according to Jordan's father, Matt Hofmann. When the fifth round came and went, Jordan was told to be ready in the sixth round. Then, he was informed the pick would come sometime after the 10th round.

Finally, Jordan spotted his name on the Draft Tracker at mlb.com and the call from the Reds came shortly after.

"I'm very happy for Taylor; I'm very excited he's finally getting this opportunity," Hofmann said. "He has a lot of natural ability that these scouts have all been recognizing. For him, it's pretty much a culmination of a dream he's had since six years old."

The 6-foot-3 senior right-hander was 12-1 with a 0.94 ERA for the Mustangs this past season. He struck out 94 in 741/3 innings.

Cincinnati scout Greg Zunino will visit Jordan today to discuss his immediate plans. It is expected he will report to the Reds' minor-league facility in Sarasota.
    For Condotta, it was a day of surprises. First, his girlfriend surprised him with a visit to his hometown of Mississauga, Canada. Then he was surprised by an earlier-than-expected call from Blue Jays scout Carlos Rodriguez welcoming him to the team.

"It was a very exciting day," Condotta said. "It's all happening pretty fast."

Condotta will be reunited with former Florida Tech teammate Jon Baksh, who was drafted by the Blue Jays in 2006. He also joins the team he grew up rooting for -- Mississauga is about 20 minutes from Toronto.

"It was probably the best situation for me to go into," Condotta said. "I definitely couldn't ask for anything more."

The 6-0, 180-pound shortstop batted .431 and was 42-of-45 in stolen bases for the Panthers this past season. He also had a .937 fielding percentage in 2007, which led the Sunshine State Conference.

He'll report to Dunedin -- the Blue Jays' minor-league facility -- on Monday.

After fielding calls from 15 of baseball's 30 teams before noon, Augenstein wasn't alone in needing a break.

"My cell phone was dead by the time I had been drafted," he said.

The 6-5, 225-pound righty had hoped to go in rounds three through six. Though he said he's "ready to play pro ball," Augenstein hasn't ruled out the possibility of returning to the Gators for his senior season.

"I had my hopes set pretty high," he said. "I expected more, but I can't live by wondering what would have happened -- and I am happy with it right now."

Augenstein was 8-5 with a 4.98 ERA for Florida in 2007. He led the team in strikeouts (105) and innings pitched (112). As a sophomore, he was 9-6 with a 3.07 ERA

Anyone know what the holdup is with signing Todd Frazier? He looks like a pretty exciting player.

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    Scott Alexander still open to signing w/Reds...if the price is right.

Newman's Alexander draws lots of attention
    If not signed, pitcher will attend Pepperdine on a four-year scholarship
    By RICH RUPPRECHT
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Cardinal Newman senior lefthander, Scott Alexander, was drafted in the 37th round of Major League Baseball's first year player draft on Friday, the 1,122nd player chosen, but the pick doesn't really indicate how coveted a player he was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Alexander, rated the 127th best prospect in the country by Baseball America, said he was contacted by nearly 20 major league teams before the draft, most trying to get an idea of how much money Alexander wanted to sign.

Because Alexander has a four-year baseball scholarship at Pepperdine locked up and said he'd be happy to play college ball, "signability" became the biggest issue with Alexander.

If a major league team felt it couldn't meet Alexander's price, that team wouldn't risk a high round draft pick on him. In the case of the Cincinnati Reds, who ultimately selected Alexander, they own negotiating rights with him until August 15th, the start of the college school year.

Alexander was considered a third-to-fifth round draft pick. Third round picks usually sign for between $300,000 and $500,000.

Asked if he would mind attending Pepperdine and then not being able to get drafted again until after his junior year, Alexander said, "No, not at all."

Alexander, whose fastball has been clocked as high as 93 mph, went 8-1 for Newman with a 1.25 ERA and 114 strikeouts in 67 innings.

Alexander plans on playing summer ball for the Sonoma County Rebels.

Alexander's former batterymate at Cardinal Newman, Cloverdale's Richie Rowland was also drafted, in the 40th round by the Rockies.

Rowland transferred to Cloverdale from Newman following his sophomore season.

He was the Press Democrat's small school basketball Player of the year, and Rockies scout Gary Wilson saw in the accompanying article that Rowland's dad had played in the major leagues.

Wilson then invited Rowland to a predraft workout in Vacaville and said the Rockies would probably draft him.

Rowland, a switch-hitting catcher, batted .425 at Cloverdale with six home runs, 25 runs scored and 36 RBIs.

Rowland said if he doesn't sign, he'll probably play JC ball. He also plans on playing summer ball in Santa Rosa.
    I wonder what happens with this. He at least looks promising.

Brodie Pullen, an 18-year old 3B drafted in the 33rd round out of a Georgia HS, is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster. Pullen is a RH hitter and is listed at 6'0" and 195 pounds. I was surprised to see him signed, being a HS player drafted that low.

Pullen signs with Reds

06/18/07
    Email this story to a friend

Brodie Pullen, who played third base and was an important part of the Calhoun Yellow Jacket’s starting rotation throughout his career, signed with the Cincinnati Reds Saturday night.

“They called me Saturday morning and made me an offer,” Pullen said. “I had some time to think it over, and I called them back Saturday night and said yes.”

He will report to the Reds’ rookie league affiliate in Sarasota, Fla., in the Gulf Coast League, later this week.

“I’m real excited,” Pullen said in a phone interview Monday. “This is something I have always dreamed about.” Pullen said he could not disclose the terms of the Reds’ offer.

Pullen leaves Calhoun as the single-season record holder for both home runs and RBIs. The 5-foot-11 pitcher had 26 homers and 78 RBIs through the quarterfinals of this season’s play-offs.

He batted .448 in the regular season and finished with a 13-2 record on the mound and over 100 strikeouts.

Pullen joins fellow Yellow Jackets Josh Smoker, who was chosen by the Washington Nationals and Charlie Culberson, who was picked by the San Farnacisco Giants, as selections in the 2007 MLB First-Year Players Draft.

“I glad that me, Charlie and Josh have gotten this opportunity after finishing our careers at Calhoun,” Pullen said.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...ryID=3389&on=1

And then this from another article:

Pullen and agent Jeff Cordova concluded lengthy talks with the Reds on Sunday evening, and the Calhoun slugger came away with the deal he was seeking.

"One of the major factors is the amount of money they gave him was comparable with what they gave their ninth-round pick this year (Harris Honeycutt), a polished college junior pitcher from South Carolina," Cordova said.

Turn Off Ads?