Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2007 MLB First Year Player Draft - Cincinnati Reds

Re: 2007 MLB First Year Player Draft - Cincinnati Reds

Interestingly, Frazier, Lotzkar, Cozart and Carroll are all not showing up as signed on cincinnatireds.com

Guess they are just slow to update.

Has anyone heard about any recent negotiations involving Stouffer, Hildenbrandt, Jordan, or Alexander?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Something interesting on Baseball America today. They said something about guys were signing at about 90% of what their slot totals were from last year. No one has signed above slot money yet this year. Could be interesting to see how that plays out with some of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Something interesting on Baseball America today. They said something about guys were signing at about 90% of what their slot totals were from last year. No one has signed above slot money yet this year. Could be interesting to see how that plays out with some of these guys.

Doesn't sound encouraging when it comes to signing Taylor or Alexander.

Just an FYI when searching for updates on Evan Hildebrandt...notice the spelling of his last name. On all the Canadian media and baseball web sites, his last name is spelled "Hildebrandt", but on Baseball America and the Reds' official site, it's spelled "Hildenbrandt".

I guess the signing of guys at 90% of last year's slots could be good or bad. Do the guys who don't sign this year expect to get 100% or higher next year, or could they possibly only receive 90% of what they'd have signed for this year?

When are we going to officially adopt a few new prospects?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    When are we going to officially adopt a few new prospects?
    We'll be starting the prospect draft tomorrow. 9am. I just got home from vacation and am swamped at work, trying to catch up. Tomorrow, we'll do the draft.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Edit
    Last edited by cincy09; 07-16-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: wrong thread
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Here's an interesting analysis on the slotting of signing bonuses by aggiebaseball.net. It was posted last week, but I just noticed it today. If the number for Stouffer is accurate, he has to be thinking about going back to A&M for another year and possibly increasing his chances of a bigger bonus.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
    Bonuses down in MLB

Reading Baseball America last night and I found some interesting information about the decrease in signing bonuses from last year and MLB's emphasis on keeping the bonuses down this year and in the future.

John Manuel on MLB reducing Bonuses 10% from Last Season

Major League Baseball has made good on its promise to try to drive signing bonuses down. According to information acquired by Baseball America, bonuses are down in the first round and throughout the first five rounds of the draft. The 13 first-round picks that have signed so far all have signed for deals at or below 90 percent of last year's slot, and no club has bucked the recommendations set by MLB's commissioner's office yet.

An even more telling sign of the discipline MLB has imposed on clubs in the draft shows up in rounds 5-10. The final bonus slot of the fifth round went to Yankees pick Adam Olbrychowski, who got $123,000. As MLB's Frank Coonelly told BA in early June, just prior to the draft, MLB tracks the first five rounds of the draft, but clubs have to run their above-slot bonuses past Coonelly and the commissioner's office even after the first five rounds.
    So what does it mean for the Aggies? Well if this continues then the offers that will go out for the five unsigned draft choices that can enroll next fall are pretty easy to figure out.

David Newmann $226,800
    Blake Stouffer $180,000
    Will Middlebrooks $137,250
    Drake Britton, Barrett Loux, Ben Feltner, Jordan Chambless $123,000 max

Speaking of bonuses, after wanting a cool million and telling the Aggie coaches he would not sign for anything less, it only took $387,500 for Eric Eiland to sign with Toronto. I know that is a lot of money but all the Aggie coaches ever want when signing a high school player is for them to sign for the amount that they said they would sign for when going through the recruiting process last fall.

On June 14th I wrote this on TexAgs:

"First run through their draft picks for Toronto had them sign 12 of 30. I still think Ahrens will be gone after the THSBCA All-Star game Saturday but the players draft at 82 (Jess Todd, $400K) and 83 (Travis Mattair, $395K) have both signed for $45K less than the 82 and 83 pick signed for last year. If that keeps up, the bonus for Eiland's slot would be $382K and I don't know if that would buy him away from A&M."

I guess I was wrong and he would sign for $0.40 on the dollar, but if the MLB draft starts to seriously follow the slotting system, then premium picks will actually go in the round which their talent dictates and the high bonuses given to players in the later rounds will slow to a trickle. If Eiland had not signed for such a low bonus after saying it would take $1,000,000 then he would be an Aggie and would not have gone back on his commitment to the Aggie coaches.

Sounds like 48th round pick Michael Henry signed. A real anamoly for a HS guy drafted after the 30th round to sign.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sounds like 48th round pick Michael Henry signed. A real anamoly for a HS guy drafted after the 30th round to sign.
    Im beginning to wonder how many of these low round HS guys are signing due to inabilities to get into college? Or if they are signing for over slot, although I have not heard of that type of thing happening yet. There seem to be, at least with the Reds, a lot of low round HS guys signing that normally would not sign and at least go the JUCO route, although I guess with the draft and follow no longer an option if they are rethinking that route?

Last year their was a pitcher locally, that had scouts trailing him all season. He put up ridiculous numbers, but was only 5'10". Lefty, Fastball consistently 88-90, curveball. Big game guy. He never wanted to go to college, but found out a little too late where his stock was around the start of his senior year, as far as the draft. He did not want to ride buses, at the ridiculously low income levels of late round picks.. He went to a JUCO, and put up good SO numbers but he developed some arm soreness, and was shut down because of lack of control. The current system has holes in it for kids that aren't college material, that would like to try and continue their careers, that get drafted late.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Kyle Lotzkar made his first appearance with the GCL Reds today.
    Lotzkar: 1 Inning, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 1 K

The game is suspended right now due to rain.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...dsrok_twirok_1

Any news on any of the remaining unsigned?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Was also wondering the same. Is it officially passed the date yet where the draftees have to be signed?

August 15th is the last day to sign draft picks.

Turn Off Ads?