Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Rosenthal says Adam Dunn is available for a trade

Ken Rosenthal says Adam Dunn is available for a trade

Padres and Dodgers are interested. He says the Angles have had past interest.

MLB on FOX TV
    Last edited by macro; 06-10-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ken Rosenthal says...

Most want top young pitching for Dunn, but I'd go the bat route with a lower rated arm for the mix as a kicker.

From Padres I'd want Kevin Kouzmanoff (and I'd play him in LF) and Clay Hensley.

From the Dodgers I'd want Matt Kemp and idealy Broxton or Billingsley. Realistically Chin Hui Tsao or Hong Chih Kuo would come instead.

If the Reds could get a young cheap power bat to take Dunn's spot, they could put the money toward a proven pitcher to go with Harang, Arroyo and Bailey for 2008. Trading for a young pitcher as the main return is just too risky IMO. The Reds would need to spend some money to replace Dunn in the line-up and would be relying too much on unproven pitching for my taste.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Dunn and Lohse for Kemp Broxton and Billingsley.... Sign me up!

Kemp inserted into our starting line-up and Broxton as our closer, Add Billingsley to Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and Belisle...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Dunn and Lohse for Kemp Broxton and Billingsley.... Sign me up!

Kemp inserted into our starting line-up and Broxton as our closer, Add Billingsley to Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and Belisle...
    Sounds good, but awful unrealistic to me!
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    Sounds good, but awful unrealistic to me!
    Dunn is a Legit power source in the middle of your line-up who will hit 40+ Home-runs, 100 RBI, with a high OBP and Lohse is a good #4/5 pitcher... I know the dodgers would do this with the exception of Broxton, I don't think they want to deal him, he is a legit closer right now...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Dunn is a Legit power source in the middle of your line-up who will hit 40+ Home-runs, 100 RBI, with a high OBP and Lohse is a good #4/5 pitcher... I know the dodgers would do this with the exception of Broxton, I don't think they want to deal him, he is a legit closer right now...
    We might have to add a good MiL pitcher.

Looks okay on paper, but when you figure in salaries, how does that work out? Seems to me someone has to take on a lot of cash. If we swallow Dunn's salary, then I don't think its too far fetched for the third player. But if the Dodgers are taking Lohse's and Dunn's Salary off our hands, we'd be lucky to get a guy like Billingsley IMO.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I wouldn't trade Arroyo yet.... but I know Dunn, and Arroyo for Billingsley, Broxton and Kemp gets done... Billingsley is a stud starting pitcher by the way..

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Looks okay on paper, but when you figure in salaries, how does that work out? Seems to me someone has to take on a lot of cash. If we swallow Dunn's salary, then I don't think its too far fetched for the third player. But if the Dodgers are taking Lohse's and Dunn's Salary off our hands, we'd be lucky to get a guy like Billingsley IMO.
    Yes... very lucky... Depends on the Dodgers interest in Dunn and how much money they are willing to spend... The one thing that scares off teams is the fact that the option goes away if he is traded and therefore Dunn becomes a 1/2 year rent-a-player unless that team resigns him...

I wouldn't deal Dunn and make a closer the key part of it, a closer is the last thing when you have few trading chips and a bunch of holes like this team has.
    Go Gators!

If Dunn and Lohse got traded around the break, there would be about 5.25 mil left on Dunns, and 2.1 on Lohse's. I would be fine halving the salaries to work a deal. Everything is off the books at the end of the year.

You have to keep in mind that even if Dunn was Babe Ruth, teams would only be trading for 3 months of him....

Kemp, Broxton and Billingsley are all young, cheap and under several years of control. There simply isn't any way the Dodgers or any other team does any deal with similar parameters as those to rent a player.

At this point, salary probably isn't an issue because guys like Dunn and Lohse are rent a players now. It's the years of control and balance of talent that are the keys (4-5 years of useful several major leaguers for 3 months of a guy). Also the fact that the Reds would be on the hook for Dunn's '08 option if they don't trade him could actually be used as leverage against Krivsky.

I think the Freddie Garcia trade in '04 is probably a decent comparable. Basically Seattle traded 3 months of Freddie Garcia (considered a TOR guy at the time) for Reed, Oliva and Morse. In other words, the Reds might get three young guys they could rush but there is going to be significant risk attached. However, Dunn is basically a bat with no leather so he probably has less trade value than a TOR guy. Otherwise I think you're looking at a major league ready guy (probably an arm for the pen) and maybe a couple of younger prospects assuming several teams form a bidding war. I'm having a hard time seeing how trading Dunn could end up with a return that instantly makes the Reds better for this season or next (and that's not because I worship at the alter of Dunn because my post history on the subject clearly indicates I don't).

I'd like to see the Reds raid the farm from either team in LA.

Anyway, that's my humble two cents.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Adam Dunn is available for a trade. Padres and Dodgers are interested. He says the Angles have had past interest.

MLB on FOX TV
    When Adam Dunn is traded (because I'd say it is almost inevitable at this point), this place is going to melt down when everyone realizes what little value comes back in return for him.

At this point, I think the Reds would be beyond lucky to get one fairly good, projectable A+/AA arm and a few other minor league throw ins. They won't get anyone who is any good that is close to ML ready -- they certainly won't get a power bat above AA in return (if a team had that, they'd probably be playing that person instead of trading for Dunn) and they aren't going to get any starting pitching above the AA level.

Sounds to me like another bolster-the-bullpen trade in the works.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-09-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Any return for Dunn must start with Flash Bailey and Buck Mitchell from the Isotopes.

How about a true centerfielder and a pitching prospect for Dunn. When all is said and done, Reds still don't have a centerfielder.

Turn Off Ads?