Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds pick retired player!

Re: Reds pick retired player!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    17th round money isn't that great. Although there have been guys who have held out and waited for clubs to give a little extra. If this was a 3-5th round guy I'd personally go drag him out of his house.
    I'm willing to bet that 17th round money is a better signing bonus than what the majority of college grads will get at their first job.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Ya can't teach speed...

I don't know what college grads are getting at their first job, signing bonus or salary; but a 17th rounder will be lucky to knock down $15k as a signing bonus. And, you can't raise a family on a minor leaguer's salary. Then again, we're assuming that the Red's didn't know he was "retiring". The scout grapevine works pretty well on these types of things, so even if the Reds didn't call him they may have known but decided a long time ago to take a flyer on the guy knowing he was a legit 5-10 rounder. They may dangle a signing bonus comensurate with a 5th rounder and see what happens. If it works WK and his minions will be brilliant and all their peers will be jealous; not to mention great fodder for RZ. If they're wrong, they'll still be great fodder for the RZ. If they really didn't do their homework then Castallini should castigate WK and his minions severely as I'm sure they will be here on the RZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    I'm willing to bet that 17th round money is a better signing bonus than what the majority of college grads will get at their first job.
    Last edited by Triples; 06-11-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Give the guy a break. He's graduating from BYU. He's probably Mormon. Mormon's are usually very family oriented. (And no I'm not making any Big Love jokes here) He probably wants to have a normal life with his family. He probably doesn't want to spend five years moving from minor league team to minor league team. Whatever the reasons, I'm sure he made the right decision for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    Give the guy a break. He's graduating from BYU. He's probably Mormon. Mormon's are usually very family oriented. (And no I'm not making any Big Love jokes here) He probably wants to have a normal life with his family. He probably doesn't want to spend five years moving from minor league team to minor league team. Whatever the reasons, I'm sure he made the right decision for him.
    I don't think anyone is bashing him, just the Reds for picking a guy who isn't playing baseball.

Also, I think he is 24 years old already. He was picked out of High School in 2001. Is he ML ready? He probably went on his mission trip or whatever they do at BYU.

From his bio:

Personal
    Born in Las Vegas ... parents are Bill and Robin ... served a Church mission to Rochester, New York ... recruited by Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Cal-Irvine and Louisiana-Layfayette ... ...wife's name is Stephanie ... majoring in exercise science with an emphasis in athletic training.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 06-11-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Most of the people here weren't bashing him. And I agree with the bashing of the Reds for picking him.

I was speaking more directly to whoever was saying that he's not thinking of his family by turning down the major league contract...

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    I don't know what college grads are getting at their first job, signing bonus or salary; but a 17th rounder will be lucky to knock down $15k as a signing bonus. And, you can't raise a family on a minor leaguer's salary.
    After doing a bit more research, maybe the guy didn't make such a bad decision. I did not realize just how little a first year minor leaguer makes in salary. If you break it down to a 40 hour week, it is just barely minimum wage. I would have guessed it at about 2 to 3 times that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    After doing a bit more research, maybe the guy didn't make such a bad decision. I did not realize just how little a first year minor leaguer makes in salary. If you break it down to a 40 hour week, it is just barely minimum wage. I would have guessed it at about 2 to 3 times that.
    It is actually worse if you figure in Febuary 15th as the report date for Pitchers and catchers. Add instructional league, and it sounds scary.

For anyone that knows do they compensate the young players during the winter instructional league, or extended spring training?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?