Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds pick retired player!

Reds pick retired player!

Way to do that background check guys!

17th round pick Jesse Craig

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/224863/
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds pick retired player!

Saw this yesterday..wow. I can't believe that guy is doing that for his wife. Take the money retire in a few years then spend the rest of your life with her...sheesh.

I have no problem with them taking a 17th round flier on a pitcher with good stuff. Once that baby is born, he could always change his mind. Kids have a way of changing your thought processes.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

not in the 17th round... maybe round 50...

thats throwing a draft pick in the garbage

I understand that the guy wants to be around for his wife and child, but the solution is simple...move them. The signing bonus he would get would be a nice nest egg that would place him in a better financial position than the majority of recent college grads. Not a very smart or mature decision on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I have no problem with them taking a 17th round flier on a pitcher with good stuff. Once that baby is born, he could always change his mind. Kids have a way of changing your thought processes.
    Given that you never sign all of your players, this is a no risk, high reward pick. He may well change his mind and then his our's. If he doesn't, nothing really lost.

Maybe he doesn't want a ball players life for his family. I wouldn't say that's an unwise or immature decision. The answer is not the same for everybody.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    I understand that the guy wants to be around for his wife and child, but the solution is simple...move them. The signing bonus he would get would be a nice nest egg that would place him in a better financial position than the majority of recent college grads. Not a very smart or mature decision on his part.
    17th round money isn't that great. Although there have been guys who have held out and waited for clubs to give a little extra. If this was a 3-5th round guy I'd personally go drag him out of his house.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

an earlier article

He's 24 ... wasn't drafted last year, or his last year of JUCO. He was drafted out of HS in 2001 (braves)

Who knows if his decision is changeable at all? If it's just about being there for the birth, that can be worked out.

What a shame...I would have rather seen them take someone who slid b/c of signability concerns (Greg Peavey?) over this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    So, does working for $30K a year.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    17th round money isn't that great. Although there have been guys who have held out and waited for clubs to give a little extra. If this was a 3-5th round guy I'd personally go drag him out of his house.

Like Aaron Hathaway.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    He wouldn't get 17th round money though. If he was legitimately taken in the 17th round for whatever reasons, he would ask for 10th round or better money (if he wanted to play) because he is better than that and everyone knows that. You think Porcello is getting late first round money? I know you know this, just explaining for others that might not.

Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Charlie Donovan: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.

Rachel Phelps: Cross him off then.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Charlie Donovan: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.

Rachel Phelps: Cross him off then.
    Did the Reds draft anyone from the California Penal League?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?