Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Eric Wedge said what?

Eric Wedge said what?

From Trent -

Here's what Indians manager Eric Wedge had to say: "Without a doubt, it was our worst offensive performance-slash-effort of the year. Actually, as far back as I can remember. I'll be the first one to tell you how hard this game is, but I'd also be the first one to tell you how strong I feel about our position players and what they're able to do offensively, if they go up there and make the adjustments they need to make. And I didn't see that today. When you do that at the big-league level, they stuff it up your you-know-what for 12 innings, and that's what happened today."
    What the heck is he saying? He isn't going to man up say we got beat today... period... we got outplayed... From the way the quote sounds... it sounds as if the Reds shouldn't of been in the game period.

Other then the bases loaded jam in the 8th by the Stanton Man, and the runner on 3rd - 1 out in the 12th. The Tribe did nothing.... And if it wasn't for a poor middle game.. They would of been swept.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: He said what?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Other then the bases loaded jam in the 8th by the Stanton Man, and the runner on 3rd - 1 out in the 12th. The Tribe did nothing.... And if it wasn't for a poor middle game.. They would of been swept.

You're kinda making his point.....

Absolutely great series for the Reds....in front of people no less.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It should have been a sweep. Wedge knows that. I'm sure the Indians saw one of the best hitter's parks in baseball, a rookie debut in game one and a struggling team opposing them and counted at least two wins before the first pitch of the series was even thrown. I can understand if he is frustrated. But, the Reds are a signifigantly better team than their record, and the Indians are probably playing a little over their heads with that lean rotation. So, it really shouldn't have been that much of a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    What the heck is he saying? He isn't going to man up say we got beat today... period... we got outplayed...
    I don't see anything wrong with Wedge's comments. It was a comment and we have little context of everything he said or thought after the game.

Besides, why do we expect managers to expound tired cliches? I'm all for good sportsmanship, but would Billy Martin or Earl Weaver have responded with simply, "We got beat today"? That isn't truly the manager/coach mentality...not the good ones anyway. This was a 1-0 game and I'm sure his true feelings and thoughts are about how they should have won and not how they deserved to lose. I'd rather hear him rant about his true feelings than to respond with tired, politically correct statements.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Re: Eric Wedge said what?

By my count we played 40 innings this weekend and the Indians led after 2 of them? Not good...

Cruisin' for trouble

Tells me that Wedge really believes in his team. He's not thinking so much about the Reds pitching as he is his own team, and you'd expect that. I'd want my team to believe that they were the best team on the field that day, even if they weren't.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The Indians lost a series to a bad ballclub.

You betcha their manager isn't gonna let that event go quietly into the night.

The manager of any team that loses a series to the Reds right now should definitely call our his team. If he doesn't, he's not doing his job.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

When you do that at the big-league level, they stuff it up your you-know-what for 12 innings, and that's what happened today."
    Isn't that saying "we got outplayed and got beat today"?

I have no problem whatsoever in what he said. He expects his players to play at a certain level, they didn't do that today, and he states that.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    It should have been a sweep. Wedge knows that.
    That's what is so frustrating to me. It should have been a sweep.

This team is in bad shape, but a sweep against the Indians, before huge crowds...that might be the thing to get a team going.

This division is so terrible that we don't need to play awesome to get back in the race. We just need a few breaks along the way. The bullpen, unfortunately, seems set on denying us that.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    ....the Reds are a signifigantly better team than their record....
    Santo, my man, usually I agree with you but I have to disagree here. The Reds are absolutely as bad as their record (and maybe even worse).

No manager likes to be beaten by a lesser club. And, if you think your team should have a shot at the division (as Wedge obviously does) sometimes they will call out their own team to try to start a fire going. In this case, using the Reds as a punching bag makes sense and isn't necessarily meant to be primarily a shot at the Reds. I would take the comments at less than face value. JMO.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?