Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best reliever in the game right now?

Who's the best reliever in the game right now?

My vote is for Putz.

You hand him the ball and you just sit and watch the incredible performance.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who's the best reliever in the game right now?

Putz may very well be the best right now. However, he does pitch in a pitcher's park, and, though he's given up only four runs this season, he also has given up three homeruns.

Actually, I have seen very little of Putz. I do know that his name sounds more like a cartoon character than a menacing closer.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'll take Joe Nathan.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I gotta go with K-Rod off the top of my head! Sure he gives up some runs here and there and blows some saves occ. but for as often as they use him he gets the job done alot and his stuff is downright dirty.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Best is an impossible question to answer.

However, if I had a one run lead late in Game 7, I want the ball in Trevor Hoffman's right hand.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

You mean, other than Gary Majewski? Long live the Majewk Man.

Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Best is an impossible question to answer.

However, if I had a one run lead late in Game 7, I want the ball in Trevor Hoffman's right hand.
    But not in an All Star game...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    My vote is for Putz.

You hand him the ball and you just sit and watch the incredible performance.
    I've got to agree with you. He's been much more automatic this year than K Rod and the others listed.

Reds fans will know him better two weeks from now. He throws 96, throws strikes and has a devastating split finger that he uses sparingly but is unhittable. He reminds me of Brad Lidge a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Putz may very well be the best right now. However, he does pitch in a pitcher's park, and, though he's given up only four runs this season, he also has given up three homeruns.

Actually, I have seen very little of Putz. I do know that his name sounds more like a cartoon character than a menacing closer.

Just for the record, the three homeruns were all given up at Safeco where he's 10 for 10 in Save Opportunities giving up only 4 runs in 18.1 IP. Those 18.1 IP also had 22K's and only 3BB's....and only 10 hits.

His road performances this year:

8 for 8 in Save Opportunities.

11 IP; 2 H; 0 R; 2 BB; 9 K; ERA of 0.00.

Since April 20th he's 18 for 18 in Save Opportunities (no opportunities before that):

25.1 IP; 8 H; 2 R; 1 HR; 5 BB; 28 K; ERA of 0.71
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Mariano Rivera, Okajima, Papelbon. Putz would be very high on any list as well. A very good guy that no one knows. Eric Gagne is still unhittable when he is healthy.

National League guys that are performing, Billy Wagner has been sensational this season as has Hoffman, Saito, Isringhausen, and how about Henry Owens and Keven Gregg of the Marlins.

Look at this line:

20 1/3 IP 1 Run 10 Hits 18 K 15 BB

Who is it? Kevin Cameron of San Diego.

Heath Bell has been lights out for the Mets this season too.

Those are a lot of familiar names, but a lot of them, some people may never have heard of.
    Last edited by Jpup; 06-11-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Mariano Rivera, Okajima, Papelbon. Putz would be very high on any list as well. A very good guy that no one knows. Eric Gagne is still unhittable when he is healthy.

National League guys that are performing, Billy Wagner has been sensational this season as has Hoffman, Saito, Isringhausen, and how about Henry Owens and Keven Gregg of the Marlins.

Look at this line:

20 1/3 IP 1 Run 10 Hits 18 K 15 BB

Who is it? Kevin Cameron of San Diego.

Heath Bell has been lights out for the Mets this season too.

Those are a lot of familiar names, but a lot of them, some people may never have heard of.

I don't know where you're getting your stats but I show that Cameron has allowed 6 runs and 20 hits in 14 innings

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-Cameron.shtml

And Heath Bell pitches for the Padres, not the Mets. I saw him pitch yesterday vs Seattle. Have you seen these guys pitch or are you just reading a stat sheet?

Before this last weekend, it was Francisco Cordero. The guy had been untouchable: .036 ERA, 24.2 IP, 35 K, 8 BB.

Two games later, his ERA is 2.05, but his WHIP is still 0.87.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

has any athlete ever reversed the entire meaning of a word?

"definitely just a putz" becomes "he just might be another Putz!"

as a team that traditionally pitches many putzes, I see the increased value of putzes as nothing but good for us.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Before this last weekend, it was Francisco Cordero. The guy had been untouchable: .036 ERA, 24.2 IP, 35 K, 8 BB.

Two games later, his ERA is 2.05, but his WHIP is still 0.87.
    I think that was a product of him finally facing someone who knows him all too well, (Texas). Once we get another look or 2 of him he will start coughing it up to us as well IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think that was a product of him finally facing someone who knows him all too well, (Texas). Once we get another look or 2 of him he will start coughing it up to us as well IMO.
    He pitched for the Brewers for two months last season, with less success. I think he's pitching for a contract, and is a bit over his head. His old team just knew his tendencies and his "tells" better than anyone -- and they should, considering that he pitched for them for several years.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?