Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that you've seen Marcus McBeth...

Now that you've seen Marcus McBeth...

What are your impressions???...I didn't see today's game, but he seems to have done a pretty good job so far...

Were he and Coutlangus together at South Carolina??...boy they sure must have had a tough pitching staff when 2 OF are major league relievers (or maybe it speaks to the level of our pitching that 2 of our relievers are former OF)

Finally, is there a link here to a thread that lists sites that can provide you with the detailed type stats that aren't readily available (stuff like BABIP, DIPS ERA, for example)????...

Thanks

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Now that you've seen Marcus McBeth...

Coach, I'm certainly no expert, but I like what I see. He is not as hittable as other relief pitchers we have. If you look at all the pen guys we have, most of them can be counted on to get scorched some when they come in. I don't see that in McBeth. He's got a good fastball and his curve is effective. I think he's going to be OK. We need relievers who don't give up a lot of hits and miss bats--something we don't have now.

He throws strikes, I like it.
    Go Gators!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Seems really skinny. And the way he finishes his motion in "I'm ready to field your bunt!" stance reminds me of Tom Hume.

Although with Stanton (and his giant moon head) and Weathers out there, I guess a lot of guys look skinny.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

So far, so good.

He looks off balance when he finishes up.

I had heard this kid had a 95 mph FB when we got him; he was mostly at 91 yesterday, which is a big difference. BUT, I do very much like his change, which will keep hitters off balance (I guess so everyone could be off balance!). I wish he'd teach that pitch to Todd Coffey...who would be a closer if he could change speeds just a bit.

It's only a few innings and totally subjective, but he faced the heart of the Cleveland offense over the course of two innings yesterday....a very fine offense.....and promptly shut them down.

Definatley refreshing.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

He works at the knees effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    He works at the knees effectively.

That was the biggest thing I noticed in the little I've seen of him. He throws relativly hard, throws for strikes and keeps it low. The 2 hits he gave up the other night would have only been 1 with a MLB defense behind him and that one wasn't smashed.

All in all its easy to see why Jerry was so reluctant to use him.

better command than I expected, less "stuff" than I expected. He could turn out to be a solid setup man. I don't see him being a dominant closer type.
    Last edited by flyer85; 06-11-2007 at 09:28 AM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    better command than I expected, less "stuff" than I expected. He could turn out to be a solid setup man. I don't see him being a dominant closer type.
    If he continues to refine his changeup (which has the makings of a plus major league pitch) he could be a back end guy IMO.

Man Pills

That's why I never, ever listen to reports about a guy throwing mid-90s consistently or who has a "Trevor Hoffman-like" changeup. 99.999999% of the time it's total exaggeration, with little instructiveness by way of comparison.

I agree with flyer; doesn't seem dominant--decent middle guy ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree with flyer; doesn't seem dominant--decent middle guy ceiling.
    Wow. After all of a couple innings you're ready to pass judgement regarding long term outlook for the kid? You've got a good eye I guess.

I see that you said "decent" so I totally understand you aren't ragging on the kid. I'm not accusing you of that.

I don't know, taking care of the heart of the Indians line up is refreshing. Now, I don't think for a second that translates into a HOF carear. But I don't see how he can do this and people and poo-poo his performance.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

For a guy who hasn't been pitching very long, he seems to have good command. I think sometimes relievers make it harder than it needs to be.

Fastball and offspeed, mix it up, hit your spots on the corners with both pitches, keep the ball down, and don't walk people. Being able to command both pitches is vital (ask Majewski or Ryan Wagner), and McBeth looks solid in that regard.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm certainly not going to say anything negative about a young guy who pitched two scoreless innings against a good offensive team like the Indians.
    What I don't understand is why an intelligent organization like Oakland would trade a potentially good young reliever for a 4th outfielder(at best)who won't play at all this year. I don't care how deep you are in pitching that trade still has me scratching.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

He seemed to have better command of his fastball the first inning he pitched yesterday than the second. In the first inning he was dominant and was hitting his spots, the ump just wasn't giving him the calls. It seemed like the same pitches that the ump called strikes to Hatte and Dunn, so they should have been strikes for McBeth. He would have probably had 2 K's that first inning.

The second inning was less impressive and I wouldn't say he was dominant. But he wasn't bad because he does such a good job of keeping the ball low in the zone. But he wasn't hitting his spots as well.

If we see more of the McBeth that pitched in the first inning he was out there yesterday I could easily see him being a back end guy.

Turn Off Ads?