Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Twins looking for offense

Twins looking for offense

Hopefully WK is on the phone.

Twins' offense cries out for another bat
    As the Twins consider trade options to bolster their inconsistent lineup, their focus appears to be adding a designated hitter or third baseman.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

As the Twins consider trade options to bolster their inconsistent lineup, their focus appears to be adding a designated hitter or third baseman.
    Twins manager Ron Gardenhire acknowledged the need Sunday during his weekly radio show.

"You'd like to have one big bat, another big bat, either in the DH spot, or maybe put him at third base and put [Nick] Punto in the middle of the infield," Gardenhire told KSTP AM-1500. "Yeah, there's options. There's things that we can do here to probably improve it and give us even more depth all the way down through the lineup."

There are indications that one player the Twins could target is Tampa Bay infielder Ty Wigginton, a righthanded hitter who is batting .263 with 11 home runs and 33 RBI.

Wigginton, 29, is making $2.7 million this season, keeping him in the Twins' price range. Tampa Bay needs pitching, making the Devil Rays a good match for a team flush with pitching prospects.

When asked during his pregame session with reporters if his team needed another bat, Gardenhire said, "I think that's easy to say with any team. ... It's easy to say, but it's not that easy to go find.

"I think our organization is willing to go out there if it's the right fit and you don't ask too much for it. So after the draft now, it gets closer to the time when maybe they can start looking around and talking about it.

"Right now, all I can worry about is what we have here and trying to get on a roll with this offense."
    http://www.startribune.com/twins/story/1237524.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Twins looking for offense

I doubt Dunn is their kind of hitter, although they are looking for a DH. Griffey probably wouldn't approve a trade there. I'm sure they would love to have EE but I'd rather the Reds hung onto him. Who else would they be interested in?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I hear Juan Castro has some pop in his bat and deserves more playing time. The guys on TV said so!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I hear Juan Castro has some pop in his bat and deserves more playing time. The guys on TV said so!
    For Manos de Oro? We better get something good.
    I'll take the guy they have starting at catcher and, I don't know, let them throw in a pitcher whose been on the DL all year.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    For Manos de Oro? We better get something good.
    I'll take the guy they have starting at catcher and, I don't know, let them throw in a pitcher whose been on the DL all year.
    That's using your noggin
    Go Gators!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Minnesota needs more offense? So do we. And how do we propose to do that by trading Dunn for more Minnesota people? We have tried enough former Twins IMHO.

But it would not surprise me to see Wayne go for the Twin connection again in some way. Junior won't go there and we'd get squat for Dunn. Sounds like a trade Wayne could make...

All dyslexics must untie!

The real trick would be making the salaries match, on the Twin's roster only Santana and Torii Hunter earn more than 6 mil

Minn isn't going to take on salary and trade quality pitching...unless they look at Dunn as the only way to kick start their offense
    Last edited by gm; 06-11-2007 at 06:01 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Funny, I was thinking of the Twins as a potential match for WMP, considering they don't have a DH and he'd fit their budget. But they usually play it pretty safe, and a Ty Wigginton type is more their MO.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I saw this rumor too, I did some further reading online which stated that the Twins were not looking to add a sizable salary. Now the Yankees on the other hand are a different story.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?