Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Stanton's past 4 weeks

Mike Stanton's past 4 weeks

1.32 ERA
    1.39 WHIP
    7.90 K/9
    1.32 BB/9
    6.00 K/BB

With all the calls to dump him and eat his contract, I thought this was interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Stanton's past 4 weeks

He's been much, much better recently. Some of those curve balls he threw in the 8th inning yesterday afternoon were just plain sick.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    He's been much, much better recently. Some of those curve balls he threw in the 8th inning yesterday afternoon were just plain sick.
    Yes, they were.

For as much as we beat on him earlier in the year (and he deserved it), I will tip my cap to him now, because he has pitched well of late.

What I saw on Friday night was very impressive. I believe this is the pitcher WK was looking for when he signed him. That said, I've always assumed that Stanton's contract was structure to move him if something of value comes along. But I'd never DFA him - he'll have some value somewhere, whether on our staff or bringing prospects in a trade.

He was definatley much more effective yesterday. He'll never be a world beater but I have to tip the cap to him for an excellent performance yesterday.

I'd still be on the phones non-stop trying to move him, however.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

What are his stats on inherited runners scoring? A guy like Stanton, a situational lefty, can't really be judged solely on the stats you posted.

He was throwing well in April and he's back to looking like that now.

Basically pitchers lacking the ability make hitters miss will be pretty volatile concerning their performance.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Basically pitchers lacking the ability make hitters miss will be pretty volatile concerning their performance.
    Stanton has the ability to miss bats, his K rate has always been good.His K rate of 6.85 (and increasing) per 9 innings is right in line with his career rate of 7.28.

His DIPS ERA is 3.62 so he's not doing it with mirrors.

When Wayne began bringing in the old guys (Stanton, Conine, et al), I had hopes that they would be used as trade deadline bait, should we be out of it by the middle of the year.
    I still have hopes that will come to fruition as the deadline approaches, and hopefully these signings will not be money burnt.
    With this, I am hoping Stanton is simply helping us obtain a youngster or two who will help us in the future with his recent performance. It sometimes seems lefties are in need - no matter how old - near the end of the season.

I'm not a huge 'scout' type guy, but watching all the way from out in LF yesterday I noticed that Stanton significantly slowed his delivery on his off speed stuff. If I could pick up on that, its no wonder that major leaguers have hit him around. I suspect they will start to do so again and we'll all be back to complaining.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    When Wayne began bringing in the old guys (Stanton, Conine, et al), I had hopes that they would be used as trade deadline bait, should we be out of it by the middle of the year.
    I still have hopes that will come to fruition as the deadline approaches, and hopefully these signings will not be money burnt.
    With this, I am hoping Stanton is simply helping us obtain a youngster or two who will help us in the future with his recent performance. It sometimes seems lefties are in need - no matter how old - near the end of the season.
    My problem is with the 2 yr contract he gave Stanton. I could be wrong but I think that'll be a deterent to moving him at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My problem is with the 2 yr contract he gave Stanton. I could be wrong but I think that'll be a deterent to moving him at the deadline.
    You only have to make one call in order to move Stanton. The Yankees are starting their midseason climb but are desperate for a lefty. Stanton would be a perfect fit on that club.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I'm glad someone started this thread because I have meant to do this for two days now. The guy was awesome all weekend and has been for quite some time. I think if he continues and we don't put up a 16 out of 20 win streak or something to get back in it, he will be very tradeable even with his contract. In fact his contract might even help. A team looking to make the playoffs knows exactly what he is capable of because of his track record. With the market for relievers being horrible right now a reliever that is "good" (like now) and with playoff experience (like Stanton's) will be very valuable in July.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    You only have to make one call in order to move Stanton. The Yankees are starting their midseason climb but are desperate for a lefty. Stanton would be a perfect fit on that club.
    I continue to think you are right with this contract. I think too, the same may be true for either Conine and/or Hatteberg. For that matter, should Freel heal up, I think his contract is moveable. I very well could be wrong, but I think this has been WK's method since he arrived here. It doesn't always work (e.g. Cormier), but from time to time, it will. Of course, we'll see.

Glad to see him get hot, trade bait.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?