Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where there is smoke there is fire.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

More of the same from Espn this AM on the trade rumors involving Adam Dunn and JR. The Dodgers are desperate to get some power in their lineup and Dunn fits the bill of the 40 hr guy they are looking for. Look for talks to heat up soon.

Rumors also continue on JR to the Braves.

I am always one that feels that if a rumor stays around enough it just might happen. What does everyone else think?
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where there is smoke there is fire.

I tend to agree, though sometimes its completely fabricated by the press, but usually there is some degree of truth to persistent rumors. [Jr back to Seattle and to CWS not withstanding].

Both players could and should be dealt if this team has no desire to compete over the next couple seasons, which it kind of looks like they do not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    More of the same from Espn this AM on the trade rumors involving Adam Dunn and JR. The Dodgers are desperate to get some power in their lineup and Dunn fits the bill of the 40 hr guy they are looking for. Look for talks to heat up soon.

Rumors also continue on JR to the Braves.

I am always one that feels that if a rumor stays around enough it just might happen. What does everyone else think?
    Dodgers are in need of power, but they also have a big outfield and likely remeber Frank Howard, I don't see the fit as clearcut there. The intangibles (contract, ballpark, Dunn's future as an OF) loom large.

Griffey to ATL?

That fits nice, but the Braves rarely give away someone with upside, except in the marketing hyperbole that their organization churns out so well.

Dunn for Billingsley and Kershaw.
    Griffey and Lohse for Saltalamacchia.

Let's do this!
    Go BLUE!!!

I figure SD has real interest in Dunn, but the Dodgers may be trying to drive up the price, lead the Reds on and slow things down, without interest in consummating a deal.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Let's do this!
    I would send Krivsky 20 showgirls to his office if he pulls anything off like this.

So, is Hopper getting a lot of playing time to show his trade value or see if he can play full time as a Red?

If Hopper stays dependable, is Dunn expendable?
    Hope Springs Eternal

I think as long as Freel is hurt, none of the OFers are going anywhere.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think as long as Freel is hurt, none of the OFers are going anywhere.
    I think that is shortsighted. Play Hopper until Freel comes back, I think he's earned it. Don't miss out on the opportunity to consummate a good trade because Freel is hurt. If we were contending for the playoffs, I would agree, but Hopper provides a decent filler for a team buried in the standings.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Reds aren't the only team in MLB that has to work within a budget.

Dunn = $10.5MM, Billingsley + Kershaw = $0.4MM
    Griffey + Lohse = $12.6MM, Saltalamacchia = $0.3MM

With the possible exception of the Yankees, no team in MLB has the green light to add an eight-digit salary to their payroll without offloading some salary in the deal.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 06-11-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Both players could and should be dealt if this team has no desire to compete over the next couple seasons, which it kind of looks like they do not.
    I agree.

I was listening to Tracy Jones (don't ask) yesterday and he was telling the masses that this team was "close" to being a pennant winning team. Sure enough, the next 2-3 callers all said that they appreciated his comments because they also felt this team was close.

I don't think this team is that close. They need several pieces added. A front three of Harang, Arroyo, and Homer is nice. Belisle looks like he could be an immediate #4. That part is nice. Get rid of Conine and Hatteberg and you've got Votto to fill in, and for less money, that's not bad either. Phillips is nice. Encarnacion is nice, too. Gonzalez isn't a bad "veteran" player at SS (but isn't a good solution long term). Ross at catcher isn't the best, but he's not the worst option either. I surely wouldn't keep him when he starts to get expensive, though. Hamilton is great in the OF. Bruce will be up sometime to take over for Griffey. Need another OF if both Dunn and Griffey are traded. So in the rotation we need a #5 starter going forward and in the field we need another OFer (if Dunn and Griffey are traded), and you could argue that the Reds have Cueto and Freel to fill those two roles. That's not all bad, and close enough where I would say this group isn't that far away...

The problems come in the bullpen and on the bench. Currently both are horrid. The Reds need to get rid of Maj and Stanton. Weathers and Santos need to be traded. We need to give important innings to the young guys (Burton, Coutlangus, Coffey, MacBeth, Salmon) and bring up others to help them and get their feet wet (Medlock, Guevara).

The bench: Hopper is fine. Freel is fine. Moeller and Valentin need to go. Castro needs to go. Maybe you could keep Hatteberg for another year to backup and provide insurance for Votto next year. I wouldn't mind Hatteberg as a bench player. The other three positions need to be address, though. A better backup catcher (than Moeller) would be nice. A better LH pinch hitter (than Valentin) would also be nice. A backup infielder to replace Castro? Yeah, we need one of those.

So, are we close? Eh, we're not that far, I guess, but in order to stay close, we have to purge the veterans that Wayne seems so happy to collect, we have to turn the bullpen over to the youngsters soon so they can get invaluable experience and adjust to the level we need them to be at, and we need to bring in some bats for the bench. We can be a lot closer going into next season than we are now, but if this F.O. doesn't do the right things we could also be a lot further away.

Trading chips: Griffey, Dunn, Freel, Hatteberg, Lohse, Weathers and Santos.

Pieces needed: Starting OF (preferably young and RH), Young closer or closer prospect, 5th starter (if Cueto isn't ready by ST 2008), Backup C, Backup INF, LH bench bat.

We should be able to fill all of those spots and get more prospects with the players we have to move, IMO.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-11-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I think that is shortsighted. Play Hopper until Freel comes back, I think he's earned it. Don't miss out on the opportunity to consummate a good trade because Freel is hurt. If we were contending for the playoffs, I would agree, but Hopper provides a decent filler for a team buried in the standings.

Maybe but you're a Jr. injury away from only having 3 OFers. Of course you could always get Bubba Crosby or DeWayne Wise to fill that spot.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I could see Griffey going to Atlanta if Atlanta was able to deal Andrew Jones...possibly to Boston. It does set up an interesting 3-way deal with the Reds possibly receiving young players like Saltalamacchia, Lester and/or Hanson.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Maybe but you're a Jr. injury away from only having 3 OFers. Of course you could always get Bubba Crosby or DeWayne Wise to fill that spot.
    does it really matter at this point?

The big question to me is whether the Reds can get more for Dunn on the trade market or whether they'll let him walk and take the draft pick. Either way I don't see them picking up his option.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Is Broxton too much or too little to hope for in trading Dunn?

Griffey and cash for Saltalamacchia?

Turn Off Ads?