With Homer Bailey now in the bigs, and Joey Votto likely to join him any day now, I'd like to offer up the first Reds Top Prospect list, with 2008 and beyond in mind. New additions to the list include Devin Mesoraco and Todd Frazier, the newest (yet still unsigned) additions to a suddenly strong minor league system. Here's my take:
1. Jay Bruce, OF High A (ETA: 2009)
Due for a call up to Chattanooga any day now, he has been lighting up the competition in the Florida State League, despite being one of its youngest players.
2. Carlos Fisher, RHP AA (ETA: 2008)
The biggest riser on the list, Fisher has done nothing but dominate at both High A and AA this year. He should at least score an invite to Spring Training next year.
3. Chris Valaika, INF Low A (ETA: 2009)
The highest peformer of last year's draft picks, Valaika should be playing in the Florida State League right now. A move to either 2B or 3B is in his future.
4. Johnny Cueto, RHP High A (ETA: 2009)
Although he has flashed inconsistency, he has performed well in his first year in the Florida State League, and even notched a victory in a spot start in AAA. He too should look to get a taste of AA by the end of the year.
5. Juan Francisco, 3B Low A (ETA: 2010/2011)
The youngest member of the list along with Mesoraco, Francisco has been posting a better OPS than last year's first rounder Stubbs at the same level, despite being almost four years younger.
6. Travis Wood, LHP High A just came back from injury, shown signs of inconsistency
7. Sean Watson, RHP Low A why he's not in Sarasota I'll never understand
8. Daryl Thompson, RHP High A getting adjusted to High A
9. Devin Mesoraco, C, Rookie (still unsigned) get him signed up today
10. Sam LeCure, RHP AA put up good numbers, probably the closest to the bigs after Fisher
11. Justin Turner, 2B Low A
12. Drew Stubbs, OF Low A
13. Todd Frazier, 3B/OF Rookie (still unsigned)
14. Calvin Medlock, RHP AA
15. Rafael Gonzalez, RHP Low A