Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modified Reds Top 15 Prospects

Re: Modified Reds Top 15 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think the odds are nil that Votto is called up this season. Traded, maybe; but called up? Not a chance. The guy is the opposite of a Krivsky player.
    I'll take the other side of this bet.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'll take the other side of this bet.
    What are they going to do? Use him as a pinch hitter?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    What are they going to do? Use him as a pinch hitter?
    Hopefully Hatteberg will be traded by the deadline a la Joe Randa. Then you'll see Votto.
    Go BLUE!!!

At least it's nice that the Reds have at least one player at every position who has a shot at being on somebody's list:

C- Mesoraco
    1B- Votto
    2B- Valaika
    3B- Francisco
    SS- Janisch
    OF- Frazier, Stubbs, Bruce

I'm not quite ready to call that the starting lineup of the 2013 Reds or anything, but at least there's something resembling a prospect at every slot.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    At least it's nice that the Reds have at least one player at every position who has a shot at being on somebody's list:

C- Mesoraco
    1B- Votto
    2B- Valaika
    3B- Francisco
    SS- Janisch

I'm not quite ready to call that the starting lineup of the 2013 Reds or anything, but at least there's something resembling a prospect at every slot.
    Wait and see, Cozart or Soto may/should replace Janish in the next few months. But I agree with your overall sentiment.
    Go BLUE!!!

C- Mesoraco
    1B- Votto
    2B- Valaika
    3B- Francisco
    SS- Janisch

Hamilton in the outfield? Can Janish stay at SS.

BTW, I was looking to backup what I said earlier in this thread about Valaika being a bad defender... can't find it. So my bad.

From everything I've read, Janish has Gold Glove potential, but defense can be a tricky thing to judge from a scouting report. I think it's safe to say he won't have to move anytime time soon though.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Janish won't be moving from SS to another position if the Reds view him as a starting option.

C- Mesoraco
    1B- Votto
    2B- Valaika
    3B- Francisco
    SS- Janisch

I'll be absolutely stunned if Francisco is a ML 3rd baseman. Stunned. Hopefully Dickerson or Stubbs can come up and push Hamilton to RF, or the Reds go out and get Hunter (or ant free agent CFer) in the offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

At least for right now I am with you reds44. Francisco has so many defensive problems at third base that a position change is in his future. Good thing for him he has the power to play nearly everywhere.

No doubt. He was COF/1B written all over him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Anybody think Craig Tatum is creeping toward top 15 status? .774 OPS going into tonight; .960 plus for June so far. Needs a move to Chattanooga, and, if he could do the job there, he'd be right on schedule for a catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Anybody think Craig Tatum is creeping toward top 15 status? .774 OPS going into tonight; .960 plus for June so far. Needs a move to Chattanooga, and, if he could do the job there, he'd be right on schedule for a catcher.
    His plate discipline is still really disgusting.

He has 36 K's and 5 BB's. He hasn't really improved much at all this season except for maybe a little power wise. Still, his with his discipline and limited ability to hit the ball, I still have trouble seeing him as much of anything.

Plate discipline can be measured different ways. Tatum strikes out one time in 5 AB's, Jay Bruce about 1 in 4, Stubbs 1 every 3.5. Tatum doesn't walk a lot, and of course I'd like to see him walk more, but he does make contact more often than Bruce or Stubbs. Also, nearly 40 % of his hits are for extra bases; Stubbs, less than 30%. After tonight, Tatum's OPS will be near .800, near 1.000 for June. Those are promising numbers for a catcher, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Plate discipline can be measured different ways. Tatum strikes out one time in 5 AB's, Jay Bruce about 1 in 4, Stubbs 1 every 3.5. Tatum doesn't walk a lot, and of course I'd like to see him walk more, but he does make contact more often than Bruce or Stubbs. Also, nearly 40 % of his hits are for extra bases; Stubbs, less than 30%. After tonight, Tatum's OPS will be near .800, near 1.000 for June. Those are promising numbers for a catcher, IMHO.
    When you strike out 7 times more than you walk you are doing something very wrong at the plate. Those are numbers of a guy taking an agrressive approach without the ability to hit the ball every time. If you are going to be agressive, you better be able to put the bat on the ball.

I have always actually liked Tatum, but as a 24 year old in high A, his numbers don't do a whole lot for me. Hopefully the recent hot streak is a sign of good things to come.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 06-14-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Turn Off Ads?