Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips All-Star Consideration

Brandon Phillips All-Star Consideration

The latest NL All-Star ballot has Brandon Phillips out of the top 5.
    2nd Base
    RANK PLAYER NAME NL TEAM TOTAL VOTES
    1. Utley, C. Phillies 630,007
    2. Kent, J. Dodgers 458,533
    3. Biggio, C. Astros 425,320
    4. Weeks, R. Brewers 351,897
    5. Valentin, J. Mets 282,629

Brandon Phillips' 2007 rankings in NL Second-basemen
    1st in SB
    2nd in HR
    2nd in H
    3rd in 3B
    3rd in Fielding %
    4th in R
    4th in SLG%
    5th in BA
    5th in OPS
    5th in RBI

It is clear that Brandon is fully earning of a top 5 vote, it's just sad to see a young energetic and exciting player not reap the benefits of his hard-work and perfomance. Outside of Jr., Brandon has been my favorite Reds player to watch. Unfortunatley, he is falling victim to the "bad team, no media attention, no respect" treatment when it comes to All-Star voting. Everybody knows how the voting tends to turn into a popularity contest. I just hope that if Brandon doesn't make the vote that he will be picked by the NL coaching staff for a reserve.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips All-Star Consideration

He got my vote!

Unfortunately, the All-Star game is based on popularity and the market in which the player(s) play in. Other than Utley, Phillips is the more deserving on any 2B in the NL.

The same in the AL too. A guy like Upton from TB will get no consideration despite having the better season.

It's a shame, but it's what happens every year and I have come to expect it. Hopefully, Phillips will get his due and be added to the roster. However, Jr potentially starting and the Reds dismal season to this point will probably merit otherwise...thus, leaving Jr our lone representative.
    Last edited by ED44; 06-11-2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

I just don't care about the All-Star game. It use to be fun when I was a kid, but anymore it's about Marketing. Reds do not have national appeal at this time.

You have to be a Yankee or Red Sox so ESPN can hype you up.

As I wrote in an earlier post, I am disappointed Phillips standing in the AS voting. I vote for him on every ballot.

I am hopeful that LaRussa will pick him as a back-up, although it's not likely. If the Reds had a better record I think he would be doing better.

He just has not played enough to earn the popularity of other players, too bad, because he's having an All-Star season.

captain11

Brandon Phillips is a five-tool player that deserves to be an all-star. The problem will be if Junior gets voted will the Reds get a second guy?

Turn Off Ads?