Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Free Agent Starting Pitchers - 2007

Potential Free Agent Starting Pitchers - 2007

With Eric Milton headed for Tommy John surgery and the Dunn and Griffey trade talks heating up, I find myself wondering about potential saved cash. That leads me to wonder which FA starting pitchers the Reds might look at this off-season. Here is a provisional list of some players that might be on Wayne's radar come October:

Mark Buehrle
    Paul Byrd
    Shawn Chacon
    Matt Clement
    Bartolo Colon
    Josh Fogg
    Freddy Garcia
    Livan Hernandez
    Kyle Lohse
    Odalis Perez
    Andy Pettitte
    Carlos Silva
    Steve Trachsel
    Kip Wells
    Randy Wolf
    Carlos Zambrano

Zambrano is pretty clearly the class of this group, and I'm sure the Yanks and Red Sox will be in a bidding war for his services. I guess I'd put Buerhle, Garcia, Colon and Pettitte on the second tier, although I'm not too firm on that. After that, it's pretty much a scrum, and I think Lohse comes out looking better than average.

I have a feeling Carlos Silva might end up a Red next year, just based on Wayne's Twins track record thus far. I'm not too upset about that either, since I think he'd make a decent #3 or #4. Steve Trachsel is also a name that sparks my interest, but I'm not at all sure why.

Of course, maybe Wayne will spend all of our money revamping the bullpen. Again.

Which of these starters (if any) would you like to see the Reds pursue? What do you think it would take to land them?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential Free Agent Starting Pitchers - 2007

Silva or Wolf would look very good behind Harang, Arroyo, and Bailey...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Silva or Wolf would look very good behind Harang, Arroyo, and Bailey...
    I agree about Wolf. We need a LHP to complement the three RH.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I've always like paul Byrd. He rarely walks anybody and he's a Inning eater.

He's a Cincinnati boy too isn't he?
    Witty signature.

Indeed, it appears that the esteemed Mr. Byrd was born in Louisville and attended St. Xavier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Byrd

Perhaps returning to Cincinnati would be a draw for him if the money is right?
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-12-2007 at 03:05 AM.

Bump. Anyone else got anything to say, or am I just too early on this?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Bump. Anyone else got anything to say, or am I just too early on this?
    For me, as it looks now, it's just too early for me to say one way or another. As things stand now, the 2008 rotation is going to include: Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and Belisle. Only one spot open. As it's looking now, Dunn and Griffey might be traded. If both of those hold true, then I don't want the Reds to spend any money on the above players, I want them acquiring a F.A. OFer and we can go with a young callup for the 5th spot. If Griffey and Dunn are traded I want them spending money on replacement hitters. For the first time in a long time our starting pitching looks fine to me. It's the offense that's going to need upgraded, IMO.

Time will tell if that all holds true, but that's the way it looks to me now.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Zambrano will be with the Mets next year.

Does anyone else think that there's not much else out there that's better than Lohse (with a reasonable price tag)? I like the idea of putting a lefty in there (Wolf), but other than that- there is not that much to like IMO.

Maybe next year we're looking at a rotation of

Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Fisher/Gardner
    Belisle
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    For me, as it looks now, it's just too early for me to say one way or another. As things stand now, the 2008 rotation is going to include: Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and Belisle. Only one spot open. As it's looking now, Dunn and Griffey might be traded. If both of those hold true, then I don't want the Reds to spend any money on the above players, I want them acquiring a F.A. OFer and we can go with a young callup for the 5th spot. If Griffey and Dunn are traded I want them spending money on replacement hitters. For the first time in a long time our starting pitching looks fine to me. It's the offense that's going to need upgraded, IMO.

Time will tell if that all holds true, but that's the way it looks to me now.
    I agree completely.

The only exception might be if they can get a young pitcher in return for Jr or Dunn that would be better than the young call up (Fisher/Gardner)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Indeed, it appears that the esteemed Mr. Byrd was born in Louisville and attended St. Xavier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Byrd

Perhaps returning to Cincinnati would be a draw for him if the money is right?
    That would be Lousville St. Xavier, not Cincy's. That said, he may have grown up a Cincinnati fan.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    That would be Lousville St. Xavier, not Cincy's. That said, he may have grown up a Cincinnati fan.
    Ah... whoops. Sorry about that.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Milton and Dunn save $22 Million on it's own...with that, keeping Griffey around would be chump change.

He (probably) won't get a ring here, which I would love him to do, but freeing up $22 Million doesn't make him look all that expensive...if they would decide to go that route.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-12-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Milton and Dunn save $22 Million on it's own...with that, keeping Griffey around would be chump change.

He (probably) won't get a ring here, which I would love him to do, but freeing up $22 Million doesn't make him look all that expensive...if they would decide to go that route.
    $22M would buy a lot of veteran bullpenners.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    $22M would buy a lot of veteran bullpenners.
    When is Joe Nathan a free agent?

Are any good closers free agents at the end of the year?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    When is Joe Nathan a free agent?

Are any good closers free agents at the end of the year?
    Francisco Cordero. He'll want $10 million per year. Not worth it, IMO.

Octavio Dotel will probably be available, but he's a long-shot gamble at best.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?