Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burton to DL, Coffey up (again)

Burton to DL, Coffey up (again)

Per team press notes. Burton gets DLed with lower back spasms. Also the Lizard comes off the DL and is optioned to Louisville, he'll be starting for the Bats today. Didn't realize his rehab was that far along.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Burton to DL, Coffey up (again)

There's no way Burton has back spasms. He has control spasms and the pain is Narron's. I'd rather see Salmon back up than Coffey.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

How many more times can Coffey be optioned? He's got to be getting close to the limit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Also the Lizard comes off the DL and is optioned to Louisville, he'll be starting for the Bats today. Didn't realize his rehab was that far along.
    That to me is very exciting. I am a big fan of his and would like to see him get another opportunity late this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    How many more times can Coffey be optioned? He's got to be getting close to the limit.
    An option lasts the entire year, so he can be sent down as many times as they want this season.

Sounds like a "fishy" injury to me. This isn't the first time they've played this tune with Burton. I wonder if the A's want to have this looked into.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    An option lasts the entire year, so he can be sent down as many times as they want this season.
    Thanks. I can never remember how these work. There is a great link someone posted in the minor league forum on these type of transactions and many other one's as well. I saw it after I posted my question.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds like a "fishy" injury to me. This isn't the first time they've played this tune with Burton. I wonder if the A's want to have this looked into.
    Is he on 15 day and is it retroactive? That's not toooooooo suspicious. I forsee endless rehab assignments the rest of the season for Burton.
    Hope Springs Eternal

I figured maybe they misplaced him
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Do the Reds have an abnormal amount of injuries to pitchers? Let's see...Milton, Majewski, Bray, Burton, Guardado, Claussen, and who else? This must be the hosptial ward of the National League. Wowzers.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd rather see Salmon back up than Coffey.
    Same, and I'd rather see Burton stay with his mystery illness and someone else get sent out
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    Is he on 15 day and is it retroactive? That's not toooooooo suspicious. I forsee endless rehab assignments the rest of the season for Burton.
    That's how it works with Rule V guys. Oops, you've got a hangnail. Let's put you on the DL. Oops, you've got a nasty cough. Let's put you on the DL. Oops, you didn't eat a proper breakfast. Let's put you on the DL.

And he'll certainly require a rehab assignment before he returns.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I said this right as the season started that we'd see a lot of juggling of the roester via the DL - I assume there's some modicum of a reality there, however tenuous. In Burton's case, the Reds are working to get him through the season so he can be in the minors next year.

That's not to say the A's might not ask for a review if they think something's up, but I'm guessing the Reds will be given a bit of latitude in that area given the chance a player can have something worse pop up.

Regarding the options question - that was changed about 5-10 years ago in one of the bargaining units. It used to be something like the number of times up and down in the year effected it, but it hasn't been that way in a while. Understandably, clubs use it to their advantage when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Regarding the options question - that was changed about 5-10 years ago in one of the bargaining units. It used to be something like the number of times up and down in the year effected it, but it hasn't been that way in a while. Understandably, clubs use it to their advantage when they can.
    Just ask Eric Owens from a few years ago. He got very familiar with I-74 shuttling back and forth between Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Pay attention to the open sky

Wayne better watch it or they are going to put a limit on how many times a Rule 5 guy can be put on the DL this season. This injury looks faker than Rodney Dangerfield's in Caddyshack.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?