7 12.28%
  • Fullerton

8 14.04%
  • UC Irvine

1 1.75%
  • Oregon State

10 17.54%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who Will win the College World Series?

Ya can't teach speed...

Re: Who Will win the College World Series?

I agree that it will level the playing field to some degree and it should make the northern schools more competitive. The March 1 date won't relieve the scheduling pressure Northern Schools have, it will just make the southern schools cram more games into a shorter amount of time. That will cause the southern schools to carry more pitchers and fewer position players. That is where I believe the field gets leveled the most. The northern schools (especially the snow belt states, not sure if Oregon fits into that catagory) will still have to travel south early in March so while there is some relief they will be still challenged scholastically. Finally, the biggest advantage the southern schools will still have is they can practice outside on grass just about all year around while the northern schools have to practice indoors; in batting cages and if their lucky enough to have a prominent football program they might get to use the indoor football facility for some fielding practice. not hardly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    From what I understand the NCAA will not allow any team to start before March 1 next year. If I had to guess its going to make things more equal and not force the northern schools to cram so many games in such a short period of time, as opposed to the southern schools who have more days to work with because of the warm weather . No doubt it will be better for college baseball to balance out the field and not have the schools in the warm states win the title year in and year out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I love watching College Baseball but I am far from a expert on it. Does anyone have any insight as to why Oregon State has suddenly become a powerhouse?? I understand that the USC's, Florida State, Texas, Miami etc all have had success in large part to their geographical location, so how does a team as far north as Oregon State all of a sudden become a powerhouse in the world of College Baseball?? Are the good high school players in the sunshine states suddenly looking to Oregon to play at the collegiate level??
    I'll take that question.

As a parent who's kids are 18 and 21, and who was invloved in Little League organizations in both Washington and Oregon before they were born, I watched the growth of these players throughout their lives.

For over 20 years now, NW baseball for child development has been nothing short of outstanding. The involvement and support that parents NW-wide have given to the kids provided an atmosphere that fostered a positive experience for all the kids. People like Curt Daniels (now passed away and a former scout for the Cardinals) coashed teams to National Championships at the Legion level. What really distinguished the NW from other areas was the community support for the kids. Many people adjusted their work schedules so they could attend practices and help the coaches do the little stuff.

When you looked at the big picture, you could see throughout the 90's that the NW was producing a high-quality baseball product. Three years ago, when OSU when to their first of 3 straight WS appearances, and were predicted to finish in the bottom half of the Pac-10 that year, I told as many people as I could before the season that there was some outstaning pitching on the team and to look for them to make the playoffs this year. I didn't know they'd win the Pac-10 and reach the World Series, but I knew the great defense and great pitching was there and would be there for many years. Pat Casey didn't teach these kids how to play defense and pitch. They learned it from the coaches and parents from around the NW when theses kids were growing up.

When I grew up playing baseball in the NW, there was never a parent at a practice and everything was left for the coaches. There's so much more room for growth when there are more parents involved in the practices, as long as you remember that you're there to support the coaches and they remember that they are there to support the kids.

It was fun watching the growth of these kids during the 90's as they got better and better. I've seen the opposite where parents are arguing with the coaches or arguing with the umpire, who's there as a volunteer. You'd always get one or two overzealous coaches that as parents, you need to step forward and remind them that it's about the kids. Normally, a coach like that doesn't like to listen to any criticism, and you'd have to go to the league board to get them to talk to the coach, but to do nothing and let it pass would hurt the kids.

And this atmosphere has gone to both the boys and girls, as the girls have been in many Little League Championship Finals and Finals at other levels, too.

It's always been hard to play College Baseball up here because of the rain. Teams would get in about a month less baseball than other schools would.

FWIW, the Beavers started out the season 23-3 and were ranked #2 in the nation, but with a new team having been put together, they were due to have a slump. It's no surprise that 3 of 4 Pac-10 teams won their regionals and 2 of those 3 went to the World Series. It would have been better if Arizona State had been put in the other bracket as they might have met the Beavers in the Finals.

Oregon State dominated this tournament. They trailed in only 1/2 of an inning of their last 70 innings. As the competition got tougher, they only got more dominating winning their last four games by at least 6 runs each, becoming the first team in the CWS to ever win 4 games in a row by at least 6 runs.

I was hoping the Beavers would grab the catcher Mitch Canham. They would have had to take him with their Supplemental pick, too highly projected for Canham as he went about 19 picks later, but close enough. Canham will be ready for the Majors in 3 years, where the Puxty-dude has more potential, but is at least 5 years away.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The fact that the University of Oregon doesn't have a baseball program at all certainly helps.
    Not much considering that the entire population of the state is about 1/4 to that of Los Angeles County.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Pat Casey has just done an excellent rebuilding job. Oregon State Recruits heavily in California, and he's just lucked out the last couple of years with picking guys with big time talent like Kevin Gunderson & Mitch Canham. Casey has also really locked down the state of Oregon. I know Oregon has a good baseball talent base that before would be going elsewhere - and now they have a reason to stay home.

It just so happens to coincide with a period when the ACC is down and the Big 12 just isn't as powerful as they normally are. Being 6th in the Pac-10 isn't anything to shake a stick at - USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona & Stanford are all baseball powerhouses with Washington certainly no lightweight.

But it definitely is a tad odd to have a College Baseball powerhouse in a cold weather climate. I love it personally, and think it's excellent for the sport.

Nebraska has had a big rebirth over the last couple of years - Creighton's been real close the last couple of seasons. Michigan is now on the cusp of being a big time team - the more competitive teams the better as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't be more wrong in absolutely everything you said. You know nothing about this program. Most of their recruiting is from the NW. Most of their starters both positionally and pitching are from the NW. Very few are from California.

The Pac-10 was the strongest conference in the country....AGAIN. 3 of the 4 Pac-10 teams won their regionals. Only one other conference won 3 regionals. More PAC-10 teams should have been in the CWS than 4 as they had the best record among all conferences in the Regionals. Two of the 4 went to the CWS.....and they won it....AGAIN.

There was no luck in getting Gunderson and Canham as the NW has a huge amount of talent in it to choose from.

Note: Only 3 of 42 players last year were from California, and only 4 of 42 players this year. Only 1 of those 4 got playing time this year...Hopkins. So, only 1 players from California had in impact on this team this year. Why just make stuff up. Are you jealous that they won or something?
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-26-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Not much considering that the entire population of the state is about 1/4 to that of Los Angeles County.
    And there are 6 D1 baseball programs in LA County, also.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Why just make stuff up. Are you jealous that they won or something?
    It might just be me but I don't think he was being negative about your team at all. He might have been wrong about a few things but he praised the coach and the PAC-10. Your team just won, there is no reason to have a chip on your shoulder.

Turn Off Ads?