Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Angels vs. Cincinnati Reds - June 12-14 Series Preview/Review

Los Angeles Angels vs. Cincinnati Reds - June 12-14 Series Preview/Review

Cyclone will probably add more later - maybe he didn't do it this time because the Reds won a series when he DIDN'T do a preview.

I refuse to call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. They were never the Anaheim Rams, they were the Los Angeles Rams.

This is the best team in baseball, arguably, right now. Sure it's June, but you have to think the Angels will be up there all year long.

Lifetime - the Reds are 1-2 against the Angels. Following the 12:35 get-away day on Thursday, the Angels will head back to Southern California and a weekend series against the cross-town Dodgers.

Probable Pitchers - courtesy of reds.com
    Tuesday, June 12 - 7:10PM
    LAA Kelvim Escobar, RHP (7-3, 2.76)
    CIN Bronson Arroyo, RHP (2-7, 5.01)

Scouting Report:
    Angels: A complete-game decision over the Twins on Tuesday night enhances Escobar's candidacy for the All-Star Game. He held Minnesota to a Torii Hunter home run and two other hits while throwing 77 strikes with 107 pitches. His fastball command was superb, and his off-speed stuff complemented it beautifully. Two off-days give the confident veteran extra rest for Cincinnati. He threw a shutout in his only career outing against the Reds, at Great American Ballpark.

Reds: In the Reds' 6-4 loss to the Cardinals on Wednesday, Arroyo gave up six earned runs over 6 2/3 innings. The right-hander is 0-5 with an 8.24 ERA over his past six starts, and owns a 13.25 ERA in the last four. Although mistakes hurt him, including two seventh inning homers, Arroyo feels like his stuff has been pretty good during the skid.

Wednesday, June 13 7:10 PM
    LAA John Lackey, RHP (9-4, 2.60)
    CIN Kyle Lohse, RHP (3-7, 4.22)

Scouting Report:
    Angels: For one rare occasion, the Angels' sturdy defense buckled behind Lackey, creating extra outs with misplays that contributed to a loss against the Twins on Thursday. The the big right-hander was trying to become the Majors' first 10-game winner. He was unhappy with only one pitch, a breaking ball Michael Cuddyer hit into the seats, while giving up seven hits for four earned runs over seven innings. Lackey is facing the Reds for the first time in his career.

Reds: After suffering through a string of six straight losses, Lohse has shown better control and greater consistency in his past three starts. In his most recent outing, against St. Louis on Thursday, he took a shutout into the ninth inning before finishing the night allowing one earned run and seven hits over 8 1/3 frames to take the win in a 5-1 Reds win.

Thursday, June 14 12:35 PM ET
    LAA Bartolo Colon, RHP (5-2, 5.70)
    CIN Homer Bailey, RHP (1-0, 3.60)

Scouting Report:
    Angels: Colon has fallen on lean times. After a blazing start that had the veteran right-hander 5-0 with a 3.69 ERA after six starts, he's yielded 28 hits and 18 earned runs in 15 innings over his past three outings, with extra rest between two of the starts because of triceps tendonitis in his pitching arm. Colon isn't getting the natural sink and movement in his fastball he needs to induce groundouts, and hitters are elevating fastballs up in the hitting zone -- see the three Cardinals homers in the first three innings on Friday night in St. Louis, where he lasted only four frames in giving up four earned runs on seven hits. Colon is 2-0 in two career starts against the Reds with a 0.69 ERA.

Reds: Bailey was given a welcome to remember in his first career start on Friday against the Indians in Cincinnati. After raucous applause greeted him to start the game, Bailey did not disappoint the nearly sellout crowd at Great American Ball Park, giving up two earned runs on five hits over five innings of poised work to get the win in a 4-3 Reds victory.
    Sorry folks, no Dustin Moseley sighting until this weekend.

Los Angeles Angels potential starting lineups (NOT BATTING LINEUPS)

1B - Casey Kotchman .323/7/32/.407/.538
    2B - Howie Kendrick .272/3/7/.314/.412
    SS - Orlando Cabrera .335/3/35/.380/.452
    3B - Chone Figgins .252/1/13/.299/.319
    LF - Garrett Anderson .269/3/14/.270/.429
    CF - Gary Matthews, Jr. .286/8/38/.343/.452
    RF - Vladimir Guerrero .335/12/54/.437/.578
    C - Mike Napoli .266/7/24/.358/.496

You may have a Shea Hillenbrand sighting at first base as well since there is no DH.

CYCLONE'S FEARLESS PREDICTION - Ask him, but I think the Reds will take one game of the series.
    Last edited by Heath; 06-12-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Los Angeles Angels vs. Cincinnati Reds - June 12-14 Series Preview/Review

This is the kind of team that absolutely clobbers the Reds. I actually fear a team like the Angels much more than the Indians--Angels have outstanding pitching, top to bottom.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This could get ugly....

The Indians are good, and it was nice to take a series against a quality team, but the Angels are a whole lot better.

I think the odds are good that the Reds get swept.

My only hope is that west coast teams really struggle when they come east. The Angels are probably above that but one can hope.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    My only hope is that west coast teams really struggle when they come east. The Angels are probably above that but one can hope.
    It's a fair point. How long have they been on the road? Even the best teams can peter out on a long road trip.

John Lackey is a beast. I was hoping not to see him pitch.

We'll eek out one, probably against Colon.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Man, what pitching the Angels have. Escobar, Lackey, Weaver, Colon - maybe none of them is a true ace, but thats 4 quality number 2 pitchers.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's a fair point. How long have they been on the road? Even the best teams can peter out on a long road trip.
    3 games in St Louis over the weekend and a day off yesterday. I think they will be in fine shape for this series unfortunately.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    John Lackey is a beast. I was hoping not to see him pitch.

We'll eek out one, probably against Colon.
    I see Escobar and I go all pale. Have the Reds recorded a hit--much less a run--off that guy? He can be plain old Rijo-esque when he gets rolling.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    3 games in St Louis over the weekend and a day off yesterday. I think they will be in fine shape for this series unfortunately.
    Drat.

They play the Dodgers after us. Maybe they will be looking ahead to them and overlook the Reds. :
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I see Escobar and I go all pale. Have the Reds recorded a hit--much less a run--off that guy? He can be plain old Rijo-esque when he gets rolling.
    Conine and Hatteberg are the only Reds with much history against Escobar or Lackey. Both have actually hit Escobar fairly well, believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Angels: Colon has fallen on lean times.
    First time his name has been used in a sentence with the word "lean" in it.

Excellent job, Heath.

Pay attention to the open sky

Man Pills

Conine and Hatteberg are the only Reds with much history against Escobar or Lackey. Both have actually hit Escobar fairly well, believe it or not.
    I seem to recall a game from three years ago when they faced Escobar and the Angels in which I believe the Reds got like two balls out of the infield.

Turn Off Ads?