Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Free Agent Outfielders - 2007

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Potential Free Agent Outfielders - 2007

Out of the discussion on my other thread on pitchers came the possibility of the Reds spending money on an OF next season. Obviously, this signing would be contingent on the possible trade of Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey, along with the end of Milton's contract.

Assuming the Reds have around $22 million to play with, here's a partial list of players who could be out there:

Bobby Abreu
    Milton Bradley
    Eric Byrnes
    Jose Cruz, Jr.
    Mike Cameron
    Jermaine Dye
    Darin Erstad
    Cliff Floyd
    Shawn Green
    Jose Guillen
    Torii Hunter
    Kenny Lofton
    Trot Nixon
    Corey Patterson
    Aaron Rowand
    Shannon Stewart
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Brad Wilkerson
    Rondell White

There are a few players that are clearly out of the Reds' range (Ichiro comes to mind here) or off their list (probably Guillen and Bradley). There are also a lot of them I can see Wayne making a play for, including Hunter, Byrnes, and Rowand in particular. All three can play a solid center field and provide a RH bat for the order (I think Rowand is a switch hitter).

In any case, I would assume the Reds would be looking for around a 3-year contract--just enough time to smooth the transition between what we currently have and the arrival of the next generation (Bruce, Stubbs, etc.)

What say you?
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-12-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential Free Agent Outfielders - 2007

What is Grumpy Old Men III?

Seriously, this is a who's who of old men still patroling the OF.

I could see Wayne having interest in Hunter (depending on price), Rowand and Byrnes (as you said).

Rowand and Byrnes are really the only two that interest me at all and they are both "role" players, IMO. They both play very good defense but aren't offensive catalysts. Byrnes has had a good year in 2007, but this might be his career year, IMO. Can't remember how old he is. Not much to be excited about. I wonder how easily the Tribe would give up Franklin Gutierrez. I like him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Rowand is trying to match his '04 season. MLBtraderumors had a blurb on him earlier today.

Rowand considers himself a possible "leftover" in a sea of free agent center fielders. He's just being modest. Aside from Corey Patterson, who's having an awful year, and Milton Bradley, who's been on the DL three times this season, Rowand is the youngest available CF. He's more affordable than the Big Three (or Four if you include Mike Cameron) and younger too. He's a better defender than Eric Byrnes. And he's in the midst of a career year. If Rowand can stay healthy he may be looking at a Gary Matthews Jr. deal.

Hmmm... well, we certainly don't want Rowand for that type of deal...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Put me down for a big "No Thank You" to that list of guys. Geez.

And Byrnes is 31. I wouldn't want to dump a bunch of money into him.

Wayne might be content to have an OF of Junior, Hamilton, Hopper/Freel next year.

Well of the above group I like Rowand the best. He plays a mean CF and can bat in the top of the order. I would then go out and get some bullpen help. This team is not that far away....we just havent put it together yet.

Looking at this list makes me support picking up the Dunn option more.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Wayne might be content to have an OF of Junior, Hamilton, Hopper/Freel next year.
    Go Gators!

RedEye forgot to put Kenny Lofton on the list...

Sure, but then you're only one Junior injury away from Hopper-Hamilton-Freel. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You know it's the outfield you really want to see.

Unfortunately, I think that decreases the average age of that group...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He's there now. Do you want to sign him or something?

Of the list, Rowand was the guy that jumped off the page at me...I would like to see him in a Reds uni for 3 years...I think he is worth more than Matthews who had the ONE GOOD YEAR and then got the deal of a lifetime.

It may be just me but I think Rowands has been more consistent than Matthews.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?