Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Moseley: Reds' system not as good as Angels'

Moseley: Reds' system not as good as Angels'

06/11/2007

Moseley: Reds' system not as good as Angels'
    BY DOUG PADILLA, Staff Writer

CINCINNATI - Dustin Moseley had no cruel intentions, but he did not paint the rosiest picture of the Cincinnati Reds organization.

Moseley, who is having a breakout season in the Angels bullpen, was asked about working his way up in the with the Reds, with whom the Angels begin a three-game series tonight. The easy-going right-hander may have meant to be complimentary to his current organization, but he ended up slighting the club that drafted him in the first round in 2000.

"When I got over (to the Angels) I was like, man, there are a lot of good pitchers as opposed to over there," Moseley said. "Even prospects we had on the top 10 Baseball America list (with the Reds), I don't even know if they would be on it (with the Angels). I don't even know if I would be on it."

Moseley had worked his way up to No. 4 on the Reds prospect list in 2004, but in December of that year he was dealt to the Angels for pitcher Ramon Ortiz. Moseley had made it as high as Triple-A with the Reds, but never spent time in the major leagues.

He spent the next two years with the Angels' Triple-A team at Salt Lake, getting his first taste of the major leagues last year in three games (two starts).

This year, Moseley has shown why the Reds thought enough of him to draft him seven years ago out of Arkansas High in Texarkana, Ark. He has a 2.10 ERA in 18 outings (two starts) this season and has filled the bullpen void left when Justin Speier went on the disabled list in early May with an intestinal virus.
    His move to the Angels organization gave him the remaining tools he needed to be a successful major-league pitcher.

"When I came over here, man, it affected me," Moseley said. "If you play with better people it makes you better. I'm not saying there weren't good players there, but ... it was just the caliber of talent here, the starting pitchers here, as opposed to there. It made me better."

The Reds had Ortiz for just one mediocre season, in which the right-hander went 9-11 with a 5.36 ERA.

Partnerships forming: John Lackey will pitch Wednesday against the Reds, so expect Mike Napoli behind the plate. When Ervin Santana takes the mound again, look for Jose Molina to catch. Manager Mike Scioscia is reluctant to admit it, but he appears to have locked himself into at least twopitcher-catcher partnerships.

Lackey has a 2.26 ERA over 71<MD+,%30,%55,%70>2/<MD-,%0,%55,%70>3innings with Napoli behind the plate and a 4.20 mark in 15 innings with Molina. Santana has a 4.99 ERA in 30<MD+,%30,%55,%70>2/<MD-,%0,%55,%70>3innings with Molina and a 5.44ERA in 46<MD+,%30,%55,%70>2/<MD-,%0,%55,%70>3 innings with Napoli.

"There's a little track record you start to get at this point in the season," Scioscia said. "You have to look at their lifetime numbers, too. Sometimes a guy runs into a bad streak and it can skew some numbers short-term, but I think all the guys work well with every pitcher."
    http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6118359
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moseley: Reds' system not as good as Angels'

I'm

Moselely is great example of what happens when a GM does not properly assess the talent level of his own team. Thanks DanO.

BTW, I am not talking about Moseley in particular. DanO tried to do the half-baked rebuild while trying to win thing. It caused a trade for Ortiz. The same stuff is still going on. This isn't going to turn around til a smart GM shows up and burns it down while making good trades(like the Marlins did in the winter of 05-06.
    Last edited by flyer85; 06-12-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Duh.

Anybody could say that....

I think the Reds is improving though, since it's having to be rebuilt after being torn down.

Competition is a good thing and certainly the Angels provide more of it in their farm system than the Reds.

That said, I still don't miss Moseley. He's a BABIP phenomenon (currently at .238 and rising along with his ERA). Justin Germano's at .239 at the moment for anyone shedding that tear.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Our system was also ranked around 30 when he was here, but as recently as this winter, it was 11th. So it has gotten better since he last saw.

Dont you think if the Angels were that much better than the Reds then he shouldnt even sniff the majors? Or is this a guy with a high opinion of himself?

I suspect that virtually all talented young baseball players have high opinions of themselves, until they get to the majors and experience a dose of reality. Having said that, Mosely didn't say anything about the Reds that wasn't true.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Moseley's having a good run right now and I'm happy for him. he's right about the Angels having a better organization than the Reds too. I'm sure that's a revelation to no one.

Regardless, I don't think he's going to have much of a career. He's got very marginal stuff.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think we all learn more from our peers. I believe Mosely's comments to be true from his experience. Very noteworthy! (and sad)

More and more, I think to improve our talent, the money has to be placed into better coaching. In our case, obviously, we need better pitching coaches in particular. My kingdom for a Rick Peterson (Mets/As)
    (in addition to a GM doing what M2 suggests above - burning down the house and sticking it out)

That's pretty enlightening. So the Reds system HASN'T been good for the last 10 years? Who knew?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Dustin Moseley was a nice arm to draft. It's an arm that looked attractive to other organizations.

The problem is that when they traded him, the return was Ramon Ortiz.

Dustins performance last night was very Reds like, he learned well in his time with the low lifes in the Reds system.

Uh, excuse me Dustin--the Reds pitching prospects for 2004 and those in 2007 are very different. For that matter, most of the people making decisions for the organization are different as well. It's an apples v. oranges type of thing and I blame the author of the article for not bringing up that point.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Our system was also ranked around 30 when he was here, but as recently as this winter, it was 11th. So it has gotten better since he last saw.
    Very true. Not to mention the fact that with a few trades and a draft you can go up or down 10 spots. Minor League rankings are pretty fluid, IMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?