Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GCL Reds and Billings

GCL Reds and Billings

The Reds are starting to sort out the Rookie teams. Robbie Nickols, Brandon Rice and the 2 Aussies will stay at the GCL Reds. Josh Ravin, Valiquette and Pointer are headed to Billings. Should be more soon. Heard that several of the Dayton guys will be headed to Billings. My son Eric looks to be headed to the Rockies.
    "Now having the full benefit of hindsight"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GCL Reds and Billings

Thanks fargo.

What about Tzu-Kai Chiu? Where is he starting?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Fargo,

Is this Baseball America minor-league transactions report incorrect?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=366

I hope so.

I wonder if he means Colorado Rockies? (I initially thought he meant Rocky Mountains around Billings)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Fargo,

Is this Baseball America minor-league transactions report incorrect?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=366

I hope so.
    No, that is correct. He met with the Rockies the day after he was released and they are working on a deal. I'll keep you updated and thank you for your kind thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    No, that is correct. He met with the Rockies the day after he was released and they are working on a deal. I'll keep you updated and thank you for your kind thoughts.
    Man that sucks. I wish Eric the best of luck in the future. I hope you stick around and talk baseball with us fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Man that sucks. I wish Eric the best of luck in the future. I hope you stick around and talk baseball with us fargo.
    I have had a wonderful experience with the Reds from the early days of my own baseball. I went to watch the spring training games during spring-breaks in College. My wife has been along for the same and we will always be Reds and Reds Zone fans. Shaking hands with Rose, Bench, Morgan....was enough to lock that in. I'll be there for the Giants/Reds games, and I hope that the Reds sweep. Lets just hope Bonds doesn't set the record at GABP. As I've said before, there would be nothing Great or American about that. I plan on hanging around as long as they let me.
    More on the Pitchers, Nickols, Chiu, Rafael, Aussies and Rice in the GCL. Nickols and Chiu are my bets to move up first. Billings, DelRosario, Wandless, Donaldson, Valiquette and Pointer to Montana. Wandless and Valiquette are my bets to move up first from the Mustangs. Fargo

Sarasota, Florida or Billings, Montana? Wow, if I were a prospect I wish I had a choice...
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would take Billings if I were a player who had to choose. You actually get fans that show up and support you. You dont start all of your games at noon under the baking sun like you do in the GCL.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Oh and Fargo, great to hear that you will be sticking around!

Thanks fargo.

What about Tzu-Kai Chiu? Where is he starting?
    I don't know about him, but I read that sorta fast and ended Tzu-Kai Chiu with "Mrs. Robinson".

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo55 View Post
    Sorry to hear that and I wish nothing but the best for your son. I hope to hear back from you in the future letting us all know how well your son is playing and how stupid the Reds were for letting him go.

Agreed. It's been a pleasure having you on this board and I hope that you stick around for a long time.

Also, make sure you tell the rest of your family that they are more than welcome to stay and keeping posting here as well. I've enjoyed conversations with them as well.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-13-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Good luck to you and to Eric, fargo. I'll be pulling for him...

Best of luck to your son Fargo and I hope Eric proves the Reds wrong. Your a incredibly valued asset to this forum and Hope to hear from you soon.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

The Billings roster is taking shape! Frazier headed to Dayton?

http://http://www.billingsgazette.ne...5-mustangs.txt

Mustangs' roster begins to take shape
    By MIKE SCHERTING
    Of The Gazette Staff

Billings Mustangs general manager Gary Roller received the first draft of this year's roster from the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday, and one thing is clear. This year's Pioneer League team doesn't appear to have the pedigree of last year's roster.

With the first-year player draft just completed last weekend, the Reds are still signing their draft picks. As of now, the highest draft pick assigned to Billings is fifth-rounder Andrew Bowman, a left-handed pitcher out of the University of Nebraska.

Last year at this time, the Mustangs were eagerly awaiting the arrival of several top-10 picks, including first-rounder Drew Stubbs. The Reds also ended up sending second-rounder Sean Watson (pitcher) and third-rounder Chris Valaika (shortstop) to Billings.

Because the Reds drafted several high school players and several players who have college eligibility remaining, signing those players could prove difficult. The Reds picked high school catcher Devin Mesoraco with their first pick and selected Rutgers junior shortstop Todd Frazier with a supplemental first-round pick. Even if they sign with the Reds, Roller said he doesn't expect either of those players to be assigned to Billings. With the first official workout set for today at 2 p.m., and with the opener six days away, the Mustangs' roster is still in flux. And getting any roster to match the star power that last year's had would be difficult. Not only did the Reds assign several high-level players to the Mustangs, those players also performed up to their lofty status.

"You can't compare this team to last year," Roller said. "You're going to have to compare it to two, three years ago."

The early roster also contains 13 players from the Reds' extended spring training. Those at extended spring training are players under contract who were not assigned to any of the Reds' minor league clubs at the conclusion of spring training.

Pitchers Josh Ravin (a fifth-round selection in '06), Adam Pointer and Dan Donaldson all played for the Mustangs briefly at the end of last season. Fans might also remember Phil Valiquette, a seventh-round pick in 2004 who made three starts in Billings in 2005.

Other familiar names from the extended spring training list include catcher Jake Long and outfielder Michael McKennon, who both played for the Mustangs last season.

After today's workout, the team's remaining workouts are scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.

NOTES: As of Wednesday, the Mustangs had 27 players on their roster. They generally have 30 to 33 when the season starts. ... Bowman was 4-1 with a 4.32 ERA in 14 games this season. ... One of the intriguing names on the Mustangs' roster is seventh-round choice Brandon Waring of Wofford University. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound Waring won two legs of the Southern Conference's triple crown, leading the league in batting (.401) and home runs (27). His home run total placed him second in the nation behind Kyle Russell, who hit 28 for Texas.

Published on Thursday, June 14, 2007.
    Last modified on 6/14/2007 at 12:48 am
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?