Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Odell Thurman Accused Of Assault

Odell Thurman Accused Of Assault

If I had to guess I would say he will likely be out of the league if this turns out to be true.

Jun 5, 2007 11:53 AM

Odell Thurman Accused Of Assault
    Posted By: Brian Duerring

Former Bengal Odell Thurman is being accused of assault in the state of Georgia.

The magistrate's office in Jasper County, Georgia confirms to 9 News that a couple of men filed complaints against Thurman and his brother following a weekend party.

The accusers told police Thurman and his brother punched them at a party during an argument and later returned with guns drawn.

No one was shot but the accusers claim they were assaulted.

They did not call police until the following morning. A judge will hold what's called a pre-warrant hearing on Friday to determine whether an arrest warrant should be issued for Thurman and his brother.

Thurman was suspended last season for violating the league's substance abuse policy, following a drunk driving arrest.

He could apply for reinstatement into the NFL this summer.

A Bengals spokesperson says since he is no longer on their roster they have no comment on the incident.

Source: http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...4-6fb8dca15d7f

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odell Thurman Accused Of Assault

The accuser supposedly got kicked in the face by Thurman. Also, the accusers supposedly drew their guns before Thurman's posse.

This is from a blog (I don't have the link) because the forum that posted it is down presently.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The local media knew about this last night, but nobody in the local police down in Georgia was willing to comment officially about whether or not Thruman was involved.

Regardless of his guilt or innocence, stupid stupid decision by Odell to even be in that kind of situation if he was at the party.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Maybe he was with Sheffield and he was being "disrespected".
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

This is from WLWTs website:

Bengals' Thurman Questioned About Weekend Fight In Georgia

POSTED: 12:09 pm EDT June 5, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:19 pm EDT June 5, 2007

CINCINNATI -- Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman is facing police scrutiny again.

Police in Monticello, Ga., told Target 5 that they're investigating a complaint that Thurman assaulted someone at a party over the weekend.

The owner of the residence where the party took place said Thurman and his entourage crashed his party.

Investigators said seven people were involved, and according to witnesses, guns were drawn.

Thurman told police he didn't have a gun and doesn't own one.

The police chief told Target 5’s Dave Wagner that there is limited evidence and calls the case "just a he said, she said kind of situation."

A hearing will take place on Friday morning to determine if there's enough evidence for charges.

Wagner said he was told Thurman has hired an attorney.

Thurman was sentenced to a treatment program last week after pleading no contest to driving drunk in February.

Source: http://www.wlwt.com/news/13445415/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Regardless of his guilt or innocence, stupid stupid decision by Odell to even be in that kind of situation if he was at the party.
    Not that I wish Thurman ill, but when I first saw this story I had to laugh: A Bengal being charged with a crime could be a daily sports headline. I hope he is innocent, but "stupid stupid" is right.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The local media knew about this last night, but nobody in the local police down in Georgia was willing to comment officially about whether or not Thruman was involved.

I think that if I were Odell and playing in the NFL were important to me, I would have checked the local monasteries for an open space by now.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Profootballtalk.com posted this tonight:

POSTED 10:37 p.m. EDT, June 6, 2007

THURMAN CHARGES A MONEY GRAB?

A league source tells us that the pool of persons who were allegedly roughed up over the weekend in Georgia by Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has grown to four -- and that they are willing to drop all charges and put the matter behind them.

In exchange for a payment in the amount of $250,000. Each.

Per the source, the Thurman camp politely (or otherwise) declined. The quartet then threatened to take the thing to the media, to which the Thuman camp responded by providing the phone number to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Indeed, the charges already have hit the press. Thus, the threat to go public is, at this point, sort of meaningless.

Due to the fact that the alleged victims waited until the next day to call the cops, a hearing will be held on Friday to determine whether an arrest warrant will be issued for Thurman.

Thurman is currently serving a one-year suspension for violations of the NFL's substance-abuse policy. He could face separate discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy based on the outcome of the situation in Georgia.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Profootballtalk.com posted this tonight:
    Sounds like a case of blackmail to me.

Enquirer says the complaint was withdrawn.

Complaint against Thurman withdrawn
    BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

A pre-warrant hearing application involving Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman scheduled for Friday morning has been canceled.

The two Monticello, Ga., men who made the complaint against Thurman withdrew it late today, David Martin, Thurman’s lawyer, told The Enquirer.

“It’s unfortunate it got to this point,” Martin said.

Asked if Thurman were relieved, Martin said, “Of course.”

No criminal charges were ever filed.

Thurman was scheduled to appear at 11 a.m. in Jasper County, Ga., Magistrate Court.

Two men alleged in the complaint that Thurman had committed acts of criminal trespass, aggravated assault and pointing a gun in the early-morning hours Sunday at a house party in Monticello.

Thurman, under suspension for one season by the NFL for three violations of its substance-abuse policy, is a Monticello native. Monticello is the government seat of Jasper County.

Safara Lawson, Thurman’s Atlanta-based agent, told The Enquirer that the linebacker already has applied for reinstatement and expects to hear from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in July.

Source: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T02/306070049/

Sounds like a money grab to me. I couldnt believe he would be that stupid, even after everything else.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?