Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Potential Free Agent Relievers - 2007

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Potential Free Agent Relievers - 2007

Since all good things come in threes, I thought I'd post one last query about the Reds' offseason plans here in June. This time--you guessed it!--I'm talking relievers. Without being an exhaustive list, here are some of the names of potential free agent RP for 2007. Given Wayne's tunnel vision on rebuilding the bullpen, some of these guys might very well be heading for Cincinnati soon:

Antonino Alfonseca
    Joe Borowski
    Francisco Cordero
    Mike DeJean
    Octavio Dotel
    Aaron Fultz
    LaTroy Hawkins
    Matt Herges
    Byung-Hyun Kim
    Jorge Julio
    Joe Kennedy
    Ray King
    Dan Kolb
    Scott Linebrink
    Brian Meadows
    Jose Mesa
    Cliff Politte
    Chris Reitsma
    David Riske
    J.C. Romero
    Luis Vizcaino
    Jay Witasick
    Kerry Wood

At least one of these pitchers is available right now (Romero), and I hope that Wayne has at least considered pursuing him. I'm sure that the Brewers will resign Cordero after his performance this year.

Admittedly, the rest of the list is a hodgepodge of over-the-hill veterans, injury risks, and guys who have never really gotten their shot at the limelight as a closer.

Some that I would like to see on Wayne's radar:

Kerry Wood -- If we could sign him to a small amount of money, I think he could be a dominant closer. Might be worth the risk.

Scott Linebrink -- His time to shine after many years in Hoffman's shadow?

Byung-Hyun Kim -- He's still really young, still has a funky delivery, and still brings it. I know, I know, we don't like pitchers who recklessly flick off fans... *ahem* Graves *ahem*... but can't we accept that for a dependable ninth inning here and there?

Octavio Dotel -- I think KC will go with Soria next year. For my analysis on Dotel, see Kim, Byung-Hyun. Except for the flicking-off stuff.

Some other relievers who strike me as possible low-cost options -- Vizcaino, Witasick, Fultz, Herges, King (can we forgive him for sitting on Kearns by now?), Julio, Kennedy.

Your thoughts?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Potential Free Agent Relievers - 2007

I've always liked Dotel.

Wood would be very interesting, indeed. I always saw him as a Red at some point or another in his career. Could be cheap too.

Alfonseca has 6 fingers on each hand, so the possibilities there could be endless.
    Witty signature.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    At least one of these pitchers is available right now (Romero), and I hope that Wayne has at least considered pursuing him.
    Why? A left with major control issues that can't get anyone out isn't a guy that I want. He has been nothing short of awful the past 3 seasons. IMO, he's actually a guy that would make this pen worse. Romero has been on too sharp a decline to even consider that he could even keep up with our current staff.

This looks like a bunch of chaff and some really expensive gems
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Why? A left with major control issues that can't get anyone out isn't a guy that I want. He has been nothing short of awful the past 3 seasons. IMO, he's actually a guy that would make this pen worse. Romero has been on too sharp a decline to even consider that he could even keep up with our current staff.
    I think if we could sign him for cheap it's worth the risk. The guy was an effective ML reliever for several years, and he's still only 31. A cursory look at his stats suggests that, with the exception of 2006, he has been "wildly effective."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4202

This year, his ERA is 3.15! That's better than half the guys in our bullpen, right? Give him some time to work out the kinks in the minor leagues and then see what he's got. Why not?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

isnt his WHIP like a 1.90? Eek, we don't have the kind of janitors behind him to clean the mess.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    isnt his WHIP like a 1.90? Eek, we don't have the kind of janitors behind him to clean the mess.
    Good point. ERA isn't everything. Still, I think he's worth a look. Hey, at least when he throws out of the strike zone the opposing batters won't be hitting the ball, right? That's half the battle right there!

Good point. ERA isn't everything. Still, I think he's worth a look. Hey, at least when he throws out of the strike zone the opposing batters won't be hitting the ball, right? That's half the battle right there!
    LOL. The probability of double plays goes up exponentially as well.
    Witty signature.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I think if we could sign him for cheap it's worth the risk. The guy was an effective ML reliever for several years, and he's still only 31. A cursory look at his stats suggests that, with the exception of 2006, he has been "wildly effective."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4202

This year, his ERA is 3.15! That's better than half the guys in our bullpen, right? Give him some time to work out the kinks in the minor leagues and then see what he's got. Why not?
    His ERA is a complete mirage 20 inning samples tend to do that.

The main issue is that he walks more than he strikes out. If you do that, you wont have success for long. He's a mess. In Cincy, his ERA would likely be in the 5.00's. He's very far away from regaining his old magic.

These guys would be worth looking at, but they will also probably cost a lot and you need to make sure Dotel and Wood are healthy.

Francisco Cordero
    Octavio Dotel
    Scott Linebrink
    Kerry Wood

I think these are guys that we need to look at come the offseason:

1) Joe Kennedy-young guy, can be the long reliever out of the pen, and occasional emergency starter.

2) David Riske-guy that can bridge the 7-8th inning gaps.

3) Aaron Fultz-Same as Riske.

-these guys should be very affordable this offseason, and netting at least one of them is key to revamping the bullpen.

bullpen possibility in 08:
    1)Coutlangus(L)
    2)Coffey(R)
    3)Majewski(R)
    4)Bray(L-Closer)
    5)RISKE(R)
    6)McBeth(R)/Guardado(L)
    7)Kennedy(R-long reliever)

I think you will see Stanton and Weathers moved before the season is over for prospects. I see Santos being released when Bray/Guardado is ready, and Saarloos and Burton on the bubble next year. I really think we need to sign 2 guys for the pen and upgrade our bench depth for next year: as well as look for a 5th starter.
    1)Harang
    2)Arroyo
    3)Bailey
    4)Belisle
    5)?????
    --I like our rotation alot, but we need more bullpen depth, and better bench options IMO, that will help upgrade the offense. options for bench depth:
    1)Jose Cruz(OF)
    2)trade Weathers and prospect to Cleveland for Shoppach(C)
    3)Aaron Boone(INF)
    4)Geoff Blum(INF)
    ---just my ideas---

Turn Off Ads?