Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Will Carroll Talking About?

What's Will Carroll Talking About?

From a column:

"Remember where you were when the Reds signed Eric Milton? I'm pretty sure a lot of people had the same reaction I did. Milton's Reds career is essentially over now with the announcement that he'd undergo Tommy John surgery. It appears the slot Homer Bailey is sitting in could well be permanent, and that the biggest mistake of the previous administration will never pay off. Don't get me wrong here; there is much more blame to be placed on the previous ownership than the front office for this move, a story that deserves a telling someday. As for Milton, he should recover, and being left-handed, should get picked up somewhere in hopes that he could return sometime in the second half of 08, a la Randy Wolf last season."

Um, what?

I don't understand what Carroll is getting at here. Anyone have a clue?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: What's Will Carroll Talking About?

At first glance, it appears that he's saying the Milton injury influenced the rush job to bring up Homer.

Bad contract + Injury to bad contract player = Acceleration of Organization's Prize Prospect.

Yeah, that's my initial guess too.

But I don't know what he means by "the biggest mistake of the previous administation will never pay off".

Just a weird collection of sentences.

Nah, he's saying essentially that ownership forced O'Brien to sign Milton, which there have been rumblings about in the past.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yeah, that's my initial guess too.

But I don't know what he means by "the biggest mistake of the previous administation will never pay off".

Just a weird collection of sentences.
    Milton = biggest mistake who will never pay off, since he will never pitch for Cincy again.

Okay.

I guess that's it.

Course, he was always going to be a biggest mistake and was never going to pay off regardless of how his 2007 ended, but, if that's what Carroll was going for, okay.

Thanks.

Needlessly inscrutable.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

[QUOTE=membengal;1383002]
    "It appears the slot Homer Bailey is sitting in could well be permanent, and that the biggest mistake of the previous administration will never pay off.

It seems pretty unlikely that most "big mistakes" end up "paying off" for teams. This is a pretty nonsensical sentence IMO.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    At first glance, it appears that he's saying the Milton injury influenced the rush job to bring up Homer.

Bad contract + Injury to bad contract player = Acceleration of Organization's Prize Prospect.
    Milton's injury rushed Bailey?

Then why was Bobby Livingston here twice, and Saarloos given a shot?

They could have kept with thier Bailey's not ready stuff, and left Livingston up here for good, or at least until Bailey "was ready" down the road.

They didn't do that....they made the move

I think I'm on the side that previous ownership forced DanO to sign someone, and Milton was the best of what was left, so they threw ungodly amounts of money at him....and as we know, turned out to be the worst (or close to the worst) free agency signing in Reds history
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-13-2007 at 03:56 PM.

either way, that's one lousy piece of writing.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I can't remember... who was traded for Milton?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Free Agent signing

Supposedly Milton admitted his arm has not been right since 2004. Has anyone else heard such a thing? I heard it on the radio (1530am) and i ain't sure it's true at all.

I'm guessing they knew he wasn't completely right and they pulled the string anyway...but that has been talked about here for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    $$$$$$
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

A whole lot of $$
    Go Gators!

$$$ that would have been better served giving to the poor instead of Milton... The Reds could have at least had a sense of accomplishment.

Turn Off Ads?