Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty apologizes for "Death march" remark

Marty apologizes for "Death march" remark

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty apologizes for "Death march" remark

He is a bitter man swimming in negativity. Glad to see somebody hold him accountable for once -- but not surprised the objection originated thousands of miles away from Cincinnati.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He is a bitter man swimming in negativity. Glad to see somebody hold him accountable for once -- but not surprised the objection originated thousands of miles away from Cincinnati.
    At least the guy went on the air and held himself accountable to what he said. That is more than what some people can do.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

In the end, when we are through with that west coast swing, Marty will have been most likely right....

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Reds went 4-5 on their recent road trip.

They are 3-1 in our current homestand againt first place teams.

They are playing pretty good baseball right now, and getting some pretty good starting pitching. We won games in which 2 very good starting pitchers (Sabathia and Escobar) pitched lights out.

They are 8-6 in their most recent games.

To make a statement like he did at this time is very bitter. He seems happier when we are losing than when we are playing pretty good baseball.Will we continue to play this kind of baseball? Maybe not. But lets enjoy it while we can. Hamilton looks good. Bailey is fun to cheer for. Griffey is always fun to watch.

These remarks were terrible and not because of it dealing with the Reds. I think the people that were in it would be offended as well they should. I know someone who was in it and I'm sure that he wouldn't care for this awful part of his life being compared to a baseball team's losing streak.

Here is the article:

Reds radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman issued an on-air apology Tuesday night for comparing the Reds' upcoming road trip to the Bataan Death March.

As the Reds batted in the first inning, Brennaman said he wanted to make a "profound apology" for the remark about the trip, an 11-day, nine-game swing through Oakland, Seattle and Philadelphia that begins Monday. The remark was wrong, he said, "and I profusely apologize."

Brennaman said a fan who lives in New Mexico heard the remark and complained in an e-mail to Reds management.

During World War II, about 70,000 captured American and Filipino soldiers were forced by the Japanese to travel more than 60 miles from the Philippine province of Bataan to a prison camp in Tarlac. Only about 54,000 reached the camp; the death toll was difficult to calculate because many escaped or were released.
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 06-13-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    To make a statement like he did at this time is very bitter.
    Glossed over the fact that the Reds are the worst team in the NL and 13 games under .500, did we?

He used a poor choice for an analogy, but this is a bad team. No two ways about it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

The Reds went 4-5 on their recent road trip.

They are 3-1 in our current homestand againt first place teams.
    Home

Code:
    .257	.330	.469	.799
    Away

Code:
    .248	.311	.388	.699

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Home

Code:
    .257	.330	.469	.799
    Away

Code:
    .248	.311	.388	.699

westofyou:

I appreciate your insight but sometimes you quote things and I am not sure what you are quoting. Could you just put the headings over the top. I know what a couple of the columns are but I am not sure about a couple of others. It would just help for idiots like me....
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I'll give him credit. He screwed up and apologized. If more people would do that when they screwed up there wouldn't be so many big deals made when people say dumb things.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'll give him credit. He screwed up and apologized. If more people would do that when they screwed up there wouldn't be so many big deals made when people say dumb things.
    Hear, Hear. I give Marty as hard a time as anyone on the board, but I respect that he apologized for making this particular analogy when called out on it.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    westofyou:

I appreciate your insight but sometimes you quote things and I am not sure what you are quoting. Could you just put the headings over the top. I know what a couple of the columns are but I am not sure about a couple of others. It would just help for idiots like me....
    Noted, however for future reference the three grouped usually goes BA/OB%/SLG%. Then OPS

The above says the Reds can't hit out of a wet paper bag on the road

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Noted, however for future reference the three grouped usually goes BA/OB%/SLG%. Then OPS

The above says the Reds can't hit out of a wet paper bag on the road
    Thanks... I knew BA and OPS... Wasn't sure on the others. Hey maybe you could teach a class.

Maybe it's just me, but this looks like a classic mountain out of a molehole situation.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but this looks like a classic mountain out of a molehole situation.
    A lot of people who make big deals out of stuff like this would be surprised at the things that came out of their own mouths if someone sat a microphone in front of them and told them to "have at it" for 3 hours a night.

Much ado about absolutely nothing. Next thing you know James Cameron will be suing every time Marty mention's the nightly attendance.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?