Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential deals with the Yankees

Potential deals with the Yankees

It was mentioned in the SunDeck that the Reds had a scout at the Yankees game and that the Yankees had interest in Adam Dunn and David Weathers. The Yankees make for a very interesting trade partner as they have several players that could help the Reds in the future.

Among them:

OF Jose Tabata - a RH OFer, is one of the games best OF prospects at 18 years old. He's currently in High-A Tampa (I believe). The only mark on him is that he's had some wrist injuries and some believe he has a cyst in the wrist that could require surgery down the road. He'd be a tick behind Jay Bruce in the Reds system and probably in line with Drew Stubbs. He's a true 5 tool prospect.

SP Dellin Betances - Betances is 19 years old. He is a big guy. He has yet to put a lot of muscle on his frame. He throws a 93-97 mph fastball, hitting 98, with nasty movement on it. He throws it with command and consistent mechanics. His fastball can do nothing but improve. He also throws a plus-knuckle curve, and a plus changeup.

SP Joba Chamberlain - Chamberlain is a big guy. He has a big fastball. Chamberlain throws 94-97 with plenty of life. He has had weight issues in the past, but seems to have it under control. To compliment his plus fastball, he throws a above average-plus slider, an above average curveball, and a devloping changeup. He has good control, but can lack command at times.

SP Ian Kennedy - Kennedy is a 22 yr old RHP that throws a 88-92 4-seam fastball. He also throws a plus-plus changeup and an above average curve and slider. His strength is his command. He is said to be able to locate his pitches in whatever 1 inch box of the zone that he wants, whenever he wants. He compares favorably to Mike Mussina. His weakness is his fastball velocity. Some believe that because his fastball only tops out at 92, he'll struggle to become more than a 4th pitcher in the rotation. His excellent command, and plus secondary pitches could prove them wrong, however.

If we could get Tabata and 2 of the 3 pitchers for Dunn and Weathers, I'd be more than happy with the return. Yeah, they are pretty much all young prospects that have a decent road ahead of them before they reach the majors, but they will all be good prospects and Tabata and Betances could be superstars at the MLB level.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential deals with the Yankees

I'd not mind one of them for Weathers, but I want something major league ready for Dunn personally.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'd not mind one of them for Weathers, but I want something major league ready for Dunn personally.
    They don't have anything 'major league' ready. The Yankee system has some young prospects, but not much at the top.

Former Reds draftee Colin Curtis (an OF) has done well in the Yankees system, now he's in high A (.309/.386/.438).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    They don't have anything 'major league' ready. The Yankee system has some young prospects, but not much at the top.
    Absolutely I understand that, which is why I don't know if the Yankees are the best option to send Dunn.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The only "major league" ready players they have are:

1) Melky Cabrera - switch hitting OF rumored to be available last year, not sure about this year. The Yankees have Damon, Matsui and Abreu as OFers for this year. Giambi is the DH. I'm sure they'd want Dunn to play 1B. Cabrera might be available if Dunn is included as he really has no place to play unless there is an injury. I was going to mention that Abreu is a F.A. after this year, but the Yankees don't think long term to make moves. They are making moves to win this year.

2) Phillip Hughes - would be a steal but they won't deal him.

3) Tyler Clippard - has pitched this year in MLB, but if the Yanks are going for the pennant, they'll probably need this guy.

4) T.J. Beam - a relief pitcher that has pitched in the majors but isn't what I would call dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

Cabrera, if available, could be an interesting option for the Reds as he is definitely major league ready and has some talent. He might be Super-2 eligible for the 2009 season. I'd be fine with Cabrera and 2 of the pitching prospects for Dunn and Weathers.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-13-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I have thought the Yanks may have interest in Dunn. Lefty sluggers are a staple in the Bronx, but Giambi is fading quickly, Abreu has been slumping all year and Posada is in his mid-30s. Their system has no lefty bats of any significance. Unless they feel like counting on landing Teixeira (I doubt Baltimore will be outspent by anyone in that derby), this may be their best chance of landing a significant LH power hitter in his prime.

Their prospect pool looks decent, but NY prospects tend to be overhyped, and none of these guys -- Chamberlain, Kennedy, Betances, Tabata -- is particularly close.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'd be very wary of the oft-overhyped Yankees prospects.

See: Claussen, Henson, Yarnall, Melian, Reith, Jimenez, Pena, Manning, et. al

That said, I'd LOVE to trade Weathers for Tabata, Curtis, Chamberlain, or Kennedy. I'd rather trade Dunn to a different organization.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would also add Stanton to the list of Reds the Yankees might shop for.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    maybe the Tigers could send along Maybin.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    maybe the Tigers could send along Maybin.
    I'd much rather have Andrew Miller
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    The only "major league" ready players they have are:

1) Melky Cabrera - switch hitting OF rumored to be available last year, not sure about this year. The Yankees have Damon, Matsui and Abreu as OFers for this year. Giambi is the DH. I'm sure they'd want Dunn to play 1B. Cabrera might be available if Dunn is included as he really has no place to play unless there is an injury. I was going to mention that Abreu is a F.A. after this year, but the Yankees don't think long term to make moves. They are making moves to win this year.

2) Phillip Hughes - would be a steal but they won't deal him.

3) Tyler Clippard - has pitched this year in MLB, but if the Yanks are going for the pennant, they'll probably need this guy.

4) T.J. Beam - a relief pitcher that has pitched in the majors but isn't what I would call dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

Cabrera, if available, could be an interesting option for the Reds as he is definitely major league ready and has some talent. He might be Super-2 eligible for the 2009 season. I'd be fine with Cabrera and 2 of the pitching prospects for Dunn and Weathers.
    They won't deal Cabrera, because Damon just can't handle CF right now. His range is dwindling fast, and he never had an arm. The Yankees have begun a resurgance since Giambi was injured. Damon slotted into the DH spot (and will play some 1st base), and Melky is manning CF, giving the Yankees some much needed defense.

If Melky is dealt, it'll be much more likely in a deal for Andrew Jones than for Adam Dunn.

I've seen Beam pitch, and I'm not impressed. Clippard is okay, but nothing special.

Edit: however I could see Hatteburg or Conine get shipped to NY along with Weathers for some minor leaguers. Or perhaps Farnsworth if the Yankees picked up some of his salary.

They have a pitcher in AAA named Edwar Ramirez who's being used as a closer...26 yrs. old...seems to miss a lot of bats.
    Last edited by NJReds; 06-13-2007 at 12:03 PM.

If we do any deal with the Yankees then it probably wont include Dunn, as there biggest need is bullpen and 1st base. If I'm Krivsky then I would offer this deal:

Reds trade:1) David Weathers(RP)-he instantly becomes the set-up man for Mariano Rivera. Weathers will be able to allow the back end of the bullpen to become a plus for them.

2)Scott Hatteberg/Jeff Conine(1b)-these guys can play 1st, and hit for decent average and are good to have off the bench. Hatteberg is a high OBP guy that could set the tables for the big sluggers,while Conine gives them the 1b/OF flexability.

Yankees trade:
    1)Joba Chamberlain(AA)-the Reds get a big 22yr old that has a live arm, he is a few years away, but gives them a solid guy for the future.

2)Sean Henn(MLB)-he is 26 yrs old, numbers are decent not spectacular, but he is a guy that can start if needed, but works best as the long relief guy, he would help out the middle of the bullpen.

IMHO this deal helps both teams as the Yankees get some pieces that help them shore up weaknesses w/o breaking the bank or giving up top prospects. While the Reds get some young guys that can help the pitching staff for 2 veterens that will not be here when we are able to compete.

If we are trading Dunn to the Yanks, I'd hope for something like a package of Cabrera-Chamberlain-Beam.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

If you think we are hard on Dunn, wait until New Yorker gets his hands on Dunn's unclutchness.

It will drive him to Houston quicker.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?