Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

Cincinnati treats Adam Dunn like Boston treated Ted Williams and New York treated Joe DiMaggio.

Is there a metric for wanting to win?

Or does the player have to come up with a name like "Operation Shutdown"?

Remember when the only metric in baseball was on the outfield wall at Riverfront?

It would be cool if the people who were in charge of the Reds Hall of Fame were in charge of the Reds broadcasting network.

Homer Bailey probably wishes he had Louisville's bullpen.

The pitcher has a say in how many pitches a batter gets to see.

Maybe Dunn wouldn't strike out so much if he went to umpiring school.

Does anybody know who's made the most outs on the team this year?

New marketing slogan: "It's obvious our players aren't using steroids."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Thoughts

Great stuff BCubb,

Cincinnati treats Adam Dunn like Boston treated Ted Williams and New York treated Joe Di Maggio.

As far back as I can remember Reds Fans have shown a lack of appreciation for some very talented power hitters. Frank Robinson, Eric Davis and now it's Adam Dunn. It breaks my heart and boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Great stuff BCubb,

Cincinnati treats Adam Dunn like Boston treated Ted Williams and New York treated Joe Di Maggio.

As far back as I can remember Reds Fans have shown a lack of appreciation for some very talented power hitters. Frank Robinson, Eric Davis and now it's Adam Dunn. It breaks my heart and boggles my mind.
    Wow, Eric Davis wasn't appreciated? I was probably too young to notice things like that when he was here. I loved him, but that was mostly because my dad always talked about how hard he played and how good he was. I guess I just assumed he was loved by the city.

What exactly was the biggest beef with Davis?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow, Eric Davis wasn't appreciated? I was probably too young to notice things like that when he was here. I loved him, but that was mostly because my dad always talked about how hard he played and how good he was. I guess I just assumed he was loved by the city.

It got pretty nasty for Eric on his first tour of duty in Cincinnati.

WLW radio host started calling him Erica and saying he was a sissy for missing games due to injury.

Some fans even started to boo him and chant Erica at him down at the ball park. Got awful ugly and cruel in my humble opinion.

Eric wasn't appreciated until he was no longer a Red.

It's said Cincinnati has some of the smartest fans in baseball. Sure doesn't say much for the rest of the league.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Worth The Wait

New marketing slogan: "It's obvious our players aren't using steroids."
    Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Eric wasn't appreciated until he was no longer a Red.

It's said Cincinnati has some of the smartest fans in baseball. Sure doesn't say much for the rest of the league.
    It actually took him nearly killing himself to catch a ball and Marge treating him like ****, plus his cancer for Cincy fan's to love him properly.

To be honest, his swing was just about one of the sweetest things of the game and he could run and run and run, whether in the field or on the basepaths. Oh, it's so bittersweet.

IIRC, Bench got "slaughtered" in '71 when he and the Reds fell off from their surprising '70 run to the WS...

It's too easy to identify with (as we have coined) "veteran scrapiness" so fans turn their vitriolic ways upon the superstars, guys who in no way can the angry fan identify with...

Dunn's biggest mistake is in being a wonderfully-good, but not great, player in an era where fans deparately needed someone to be GREAT due to our team being woefully bad during this decade...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Reds' fans had few problems with Eric Davis. They loved him when he played, the problem was he rarely played. His best year he played in about 130 games. That includes pinch hitting, late inning defensive replacements etc. He actually started less than 3 out of every 4 games. You can't "count on" a guy to carry you if he's out that many games. That frustrated Reds' fans and rightly so.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

In my life, I invested in exactly one baseball card outside of the "luck of the draw" method of purchasing wax packs. That card was an Eric Davis rookie card.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

;

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Dunn's biggest mistake is in being a wonderfully-good, but not great, player in an era where fans deparately needed someone to be GREAT due to our team being woefully bad during this decade...

That's very debatable. When the Reds needed Dunn the most, last year in Sept, he knocked in 3 runs. To me "wonderfully good" makes an All Star team (at the very least) as a backup. He's not even good enough to warrant All Star status. He along with Griffey is one of the Reds greatest offensive threats, although that's not saying much. The question comes down to this: is he worth $13mill or more a year?

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    In my life, I invested in exactly one baseball card outside of the "luck of the draw" method of purchasing wax packs. That card was an Eric Davis rookie card.
    Me too, I bought an autograph ED Card at the Berkeley Flea Market in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He's not even good enough to warrant All Star status. He along with Griffey is one of the Reds greatest offensive threats, although that's not saying much.
    Here are the vote leaders:

Carlos Beltran, Ken Griffey Jr. and Soriano

Now the Players vote on th eremaining players and despite the idea that the players have some additional knowledge that makes them highly qualified for selecting All-Stars, their picks can be categorized as “the guys with good Triple Crown stats in the season’s first few months.” I bet Matt Holliday gets in here, maybe Carlos Lee or Jason Bay would also sneak in ahead of Bonds and yes... even Adam Dunn.

BTW Vada Pinson only made 4 AS games and he played in the years they had two.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Remember when the only metric in baseball was on the outfield wall at Riverfront?
    By the year 2000, the United States will be using the metric system exclusively, so we should get used to it.

WLW radio host started calling him Erica and saying he was a sissy for missing games due to injury.
    Yep, that was Bill Cunningham, who also referred to Paula O'Neill. It was more a part of his act than sincere animosity, but I doubt the players appreciated it nevertheless.

Turn Off Ads?