Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Offseason Priorities!

Offseason Priorities!

Well its only June but why not think ahead and see what things we can do in the offseason to improve. From what I see these are the contracts we will be losing barring any trades:
    1)Conine-2m
    2)Milton-10,333,333
    3)Cormier-2.25
    4)Valentin-1.25
    5)Moeller-700,000
    6)Lohse-4.2
    ---all this is @21million and IMHO these are the guys we should be shopping around the league right now, granted the returns will be small, but warm bodies are better than nothing, sometimes one of them could be a diamond in the rough!

Secondly:with that 21 million these are the positions that need to be upgraded:
    1)RP
    2)#5 starter
    3)Bench
    ----Of that 21 million these are some guys that could fit into our plans come 2008, these are my targets:

1)Livan Hernandez-this guy gives you innings, has been a bulldog over the course of his career and would fill out the back end of anyone's rotation. Good solid starter, not spectacular, but solid. (7 million per season)

2)Octavio Dotel-injured the past few years, but is another solid guy in the pen. Could be a closer/set-up guy, and is finally healthy in KC. He throws hard and would be a major bonus to our late inning meltdowns.(4 million per season)

3)Bobby Kielty-Switch hitting outfielder who is better suited to playing @120 games a year...think 4th outfielder. He would solidify our bench and give us flexability in late innings as a pinch hitter.(2 million per season)

4)Moeller-why waste $$ on a catcher when their are so few good hitting ones anyways and we are already on the hook with Ross. We should focus on being solid defensively behind the plate and Moeller is just that....a good defensive guy with low offensive numbers.(700k per season)

5)Phillips-we need to sign him to an extention with some security towards the future while we can extend him more cheaply. He is a solid youngster on the rise, and we would be foolish not to secure the middle infield for the future.

Now bear in mind these were moves that can be done with the $$$ saved by players heading into FA, none of them involved any trades being forseen. On that note I would trade anybody not named:
    Harang/Arroyo/Belisle/Bailey/phillips/Gonzo/EE/Hamilton-these guys are our future and we cannot afford to lose them, everyone else is fair game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason Priorities!

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Now bear in mind these were moves that can be done with the $$$ saved by players heading into FA, none of them involved any trades being forseen. On that note I would trade anybody not named:
    Harang/Arroyo/Belisle/Bailey/phillips/Gonzo/EE/Hamilton-these guys are our future and we cannot afford to lose them, everyone else is fair game.
    I think we can afford to lose Gonzo. He's hitting way over his head right now, and his defense isn't really that good. He's also not exactly that young. I suppose the problem is that we don't really have anyone else in the minors ready to replace him... but if he continues to have a a career offensive year, I say sell high for anything of value you can get.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

1)Livan Hernandez-this guy gives you innings, has been a bulldog over the course of his career and would fill out the back end of anyone's rotation. Good solid starter, not spectacular, but solid. (7 million per season)
    You're going to pay a guy $7 mil to fill out the back of our rotation? He has Kirk Saarloos written aall oover him. He is now a ground ball pitcher that walks a ton of guys. He has pretty good defense behind him right now, let alone the best 2B in the NL by far in Hudson.

I'd rather lose with our young guns. My rotation would be:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    4 and 5:
    Belisle/Elizardo Ramirez/Livingston/Fisher/Dumatrait/others

Much rather spend $7 mil else where, or for a better 3rd/4th starter.

For the bench, we NEED RH bats. I have to hand it to WK, although I was very down about the signing, Conine has worked out great this year. Really ten times better than I would have expected, but....Juan Castro is our best RH off the bench when we face LH starters...that is sad.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 06-16-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Would it be a wasted thought to keep Lohse and put him into the bullpen if the starters roll does'nt pan out which it does'nt look like it will. He could be used as a long innings relief pitcher if the starter gets shelled in the early innings. Or they could throw him out there in the 7th inning or so.He could be the pitcher that comes in an inning before the setup guy.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Would it be a wasted thought to keep Lohse and put him into the bullpen if the starters roll does'nt pan out which it does'nt look like it will. He could be used as a long innings relief pitcher if the starter gets shelled in the early innings. Or they could throw him out there in the 7th inning or so.He could be the pitcher that comes in an inning before the setup guy.
    that is if he would sign for less money!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Hernandez would be a gigantic waste of money. He's been on a steep decline the last few seasons. If you want a 5th starter, then the Reds would probably be better off going with an internal option like Ramirez, or someone cheaper. Guys like Hernandez are not worth the 7M a year neccessary.

Also, the Reds wont have 21M to spend. Harang and Arroyo get raises, plus arbitration raises eat up a large portion of that money. Unless the Reds trade Dunn or Griffey, they wont be major players in the FA market. The best the Reds will afford are the fill in types (ie. Conine, Weathers).

IMO the offseason priorities are as follows:

1. Remove as much salary soaking dead wood from the roster as possible.

2. Utilize the freed-up resources to make large purchases of impact players. The number of them that can be afforded depends on how much dead wood can be removed. With the contracts expiring and the raises due, there is about $8 Million available. A couple of moves to get even a few of the smaller salaries off the roster (Stanton, Freel, Castro, etc) could push that number to $15 Million or so. This is assuming Dunn and Griffey are both back and the Harang, Arroyo and other raises kick in. Big moves with Griffey and Dunn could lead to a lot more.

3. With the freed up resources the first priority IMO is a proven #2 starting pitcher. A staff with Harang, Acquisition, Arroyo, Bailey and Belisle looks pretty good. Ramirez, Fisher, Dumatrait, Gosling etc provide pretty decent depth and with the rotation in order, some decisions on the young guns can be made for the pen (I personally think that Johnny Cueto could be a late inning stud). Livan Hernandez most assuredly does not qualify here.

4. If any resources are still available, an impact pitcher for the middle innings. I'm in the camp that any decent pitcher can come in with the bases empty in the 9th and close. Here I'm talking about "the guy" that you want to bring in during the late inning game situations.

5.Young talent at areas of weakness - Catcher, SS, RH Bats, and of course always pitching.

6. Avoid the bad ideas. Maybe this should be number 1. Don't spread payflex around to mediocrities who are no better than cheaper in-house options. Don't give away too much young talent. (Although trading a prospect or two to get one of the above needs is OK in my book - I recommend Drew Stubbs and Travis Wood as primary off-season trade bait with possibly one of the young pen arms like Salmon or Guevara as sweetener.)

And Redeye, I like the idea of selling high on Gonzalez and desperately want the purge to return a MLB ready SS who has shown some offensive promise (Erick Aybar for example). But if that can't be acquired you have to keep him. I think a reliable SS (not necessarily Gold Glove material) is a must when trying to develop and evaluate as many young pitchers as the Reds will be during the second half (I'm talking about Bailey and the pen guys). As much as I'd like to flip Gonzalez, he needs to stay for the sake of the young pitchers unless a replacement is in hand.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-16-2007 at 07:06 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And Redeye, I like the idea of selling high on Gonzalez and desperately want the purge to return a MLB ready SS who has shown some offensive promise (Erick Aybar for example). But if that can't be acquired you have to keep him. I think a reliable SS (not necessarily Gold Glove material) is a must when trying to develop and evaluate as many young pitchers as the Reds will be during the second half (I'm talking about Bailey and the pen guys). As much as I'd like to flip Gonzalez, he needs to stay for the sake of the young pitchers unless a replacement is in hand.
    Good point. I just think that Castro or someone else (Janish?) could provide the reliable defense you are talking about in a pinch. Obviously, you want Gonzo there if the team is seriously trying to contend... but I don't think they really will be until at least 2009. I say if you can turn Gonzo's career offensive year at GABP into solid prospects (at whatever position) you do it in a heartbeat.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Is it just me or does it seem a little early for these kinds of posts. alas the Reds record is not that great, but I think the team is better. We'll see though. Just when I think they are coming around then bamm! Same ol same ol.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Might as well bring Eric Milton back if you want to bring in Livan Hernandez.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Is it just me or does it seem a little early for these kinds of posts. alas the Reds record is not that great, but I think the team is better. We'll see though. Just when I think they are coming around then bamm! Same ol same ol.
    Yes, the Reds could go on a 20-game winning streak. But by and large, the season is over. That's why Griff and Dunn are all over the MLB rumors pages as the first big trade targets; the Reds are some of the first sellers on the market this year.

Turn Off Ads?