Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Angels/Dunn?

Reds/Angels/Dunn?

I saw this over on the Foxsports rumor mill. I hadn't seen it posted yet.

"The Angels had preliminary discussions with Cincinnati about acquiring Adam Dunn, according to a baseball source, but those talks quickly ended when the Reds requested a proven major league starting pitcher, a major league infielder — preferably a second baseman — and a top prospect. Those demands were considered too hefty for a player whose $13-million option for 2008 would be voided if he's traded, meaning he could become a free agent after this season. The Angels probably wouldn't even trade second baseman Howie Kendrick for Dunn straight up, according to the source".

http://www.benmaller.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds/Angels/Dunn?

they probably asked for Santana, Aybar, and Adenhart or Wood

I thought Satana, Kendrick and Wood when I first read it. At least we are asking high to start with.

I'm all for starting high, but this is rediculous. Wayne K is going to run off everyone that would have any interest if this is what he is asking. Last year the angels wouldn't make a similar deal for Manny. They certainly aren't going to make it for Dunn.

High five!

Why a second baseman?

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by eastkyred View Post
    I'm all for starting high, but this is rediculous. Wayne K is going to run off everyone that would have any interest if this is what he is asking. Last year the angels wouldn't make a similar deal for Manny. They certainly aren't going to make it for Dunn.
    If he's really serious about trading, that's what you want to do: start high. After that, negotiate your way towards a deal that both teams like.

No reason to settle for less than the maximum return from anyone. See who's willing to give up the most talent rather than biting on the first offer.

Good lord, we spent 9 months breaking down we traded for too little, now we are moaning about trying to trade for too much!!! We need some therapy I think!

It's June 15th--there are six weeks until the deadline. Krivsky is under no pressure to trade Dunn now, so he might as well ask for the moon.

And if Oakland or Seattle gets involved later, Anaheim might be forced to up their offer.

This is smart negotiation. The Reds, as of right now, have all the leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Why a second baseman?
    That's exactly what I was wondering when I read that article.

Quote Originally Posted by IamWallaman View Post
    If he's really serious about trading, that's what you want to do: start high. After that, negotiate your way towards a deal that both teams like.

No reason to settle for less than the maximum return from anyone. See who's willing to give up the most talent rather than biting on the first offer.
    I'm aware that starting high is the thing to do. I just hate to see him turn everyone completely off to even dealing with him. Maybe I'm way off, but I don't think that Dunn will bring anything close to this. If he starts too high, he may turn potentially good trade partners to look in other directions. I would start high, but don't make other teams think that Dunn is basicly off limits by starting too high. I think Bowden has done this very thing with Chad Cordero. People hang up the phone in a hurry and start looking somewhere else. I think Dunn could bring possibly a top prospect, or a major league pitcher (like Santana), but asking for both plus another major league player is like asking for 25,000 for a used car that is worth 10,000. Start at 13,000 and keep them interested in talking.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    That's exactly what I was wondering when I read that article.
    I thought the same thing unless that 2B could play 3rd? The move EdE to 1st since Votto is playing some OF in the minors? That's the only thing I could think of. EdE has played really good defense since being called back up though, so I really don't know either.

yeah...

I'm aware that starting high is the thing to do. I just hate to see him turn everyone completely off to even dealing with him. Maybe I'm way off, but I don't think that Dunn will bring anything close to this. If he starts too high, he may turn potentially good trade partners to look in other directions. I would start high, but don't make other teams think that Dunn is basicly off limits by starting too high. I think Bowden has done this very thing with Chad Cordero. People hang up the phone in a hurry and start looking somewhere else. I think Dunn could bring possibly a top prospect, or a major league pitcher (like Santana), but asking for both plus another major league player is like asking for 25,000 for a used car that is worth 10,000. Start at 13,000 and keep them interested in talking.
    Well, there's still plenty of time left before the deadline and many other potential suitors. SOMEONE will get desparate enough for a bat before then.

K has the advantage right now. Best to use it for all its worth.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    I thought the same thing unless that 2B could play 3rd? The move EdE to 1st since Votto is playing some OF in the minors? That's the only thing I could think of. EdE has played really good defense since being called back up though, so I really don't know either.
    I'm beginning to think that someone wants Phillips and is offering up something really tempting. K may just be trying to get a legit prospect to fill the potential hole.

I'm beginning to think that someone wants Phillips and is offering up something really tempting. K may just be trying to get a legit prospect to fill the potential hole.
    Or he thinks he can move AGon to another team, and shift Phillips to SS.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

Well, there's still plenty of time left before the deadline and many other potential suitors. SOMEONE will get desparate enough for a bat before then.

K has the advantage right now. Best to use it for all its worth.
    I agree...no rush, but the more teams he can keep interested, the bigger advantage he will have.

Turn Off Ads?