Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Angels/Dunn?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds/Angels/Dunn?

I saw this over on the Foxsports rumor mill. I hadn't seen it posted yet.

"The Angels had preliminary discussions with Cincinnati about acquiring Adam Dunn, according to a baseball source, but those talks quickly ended when the Reds requested a proven major league starting pitcher, a major league infielder — preferably a second baseman — and a top prospect. Those demands were considered too hefty for a player whose $13-million option for 2008 would be voided if he's traded, meaning he could become a free agent after this season. The Angels probably wouldn't even trade second baseman Howie Kendrick for Dunn straight up, according to the source".

http://www.benmaller.com/

Re: Reds/Angels/Dunn?

they probably asked for Santana, Aybar, and Adenhart or Wood

I thought Satana, Kendrick and Wood when I first read it. At least we are asking high to start with.

I'm all for starting high, but this is rediculous. Wayne K is going to run off everyone that would have any interest if this is what he is asking. Last year the angels wouldn't make a similar deal for Manny. They certainly aren't going to make it for Dunn.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by eastkyred View Post
    I'm all for starting high, but this is rediculous. Wayne K is going to run off everyone that would have any interest if this is what he is asking. Last year the angels wouldn't make a similar deal for Manny. They certainly aren't going to make it for Dunn.
    If he's really serious about trading, that's what you want to do: start high. After that, negotiate your way towards a deal that both teams like.

No reason to settle for less than the maximum return from anyone. See who's willing to give up the most talent rather than biting on the first offer.

Quote Originally Posted by IamWallaman View Post
    If he's really serious about trading, that's what you want to do: start high. After that, negotiate your way towards a deal that both teams like.

No reason to settle for less than the maximum return from anyone. See who's willing to give up the most talent rather than biting on the first offer.
    I'm aware that starting high is the thing to do. I just hate to see him turn everyone completely off to even dealing with him. Maybe I'm way off, but I don't think that Dunn will bring anything close to this. If he starts too high, he may turn potentially good trade partners to look in other directions. I would start high, but don't make other teams think that Dunn is basicly off limits by starting too high. I think Bowden has done this very thing with Chad Cordero. People hang up the phone in a hurry and start looking somewhere else. I think Dunn could bring possibly a top prospect, or a major league pitcher (like Santana), but asking for both plus another major league player is like asking for 25,000 for a used car that is worth 10,000. Start at 13,000 and keep them interested in talking.

yeah...

I'm aware that starting high is the thing to do. I just hate to see him turn everyone completely off to even dealing with him. Maybe I'm way off, but I don't think that Dunn will bring anything close to this. If he starts too high, he may turn potentially good trade partners to look in other directions. I would start high, but don't make other teams think that Dunn is basicly off limits by starting too high. I think Bowden has done this very thing with Chad Cordero. People hang up the phone in a hurry and start looking somewhere else. I think Dunn could bring possibly a top prospect, or a major league pitcher (like Santana), but asking for both plus another major league player is like asking for 25,000 for a used car that is worth 10,000. Start at 13,000 and keep them interested in talking.
    Well, there's still plenty of time left before the deadline and many other potential suitors. SOMEONE will get desparate enough for a bat before then.

K has the advantage right now. Best to use it for all its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by IamWallaman View Post
    Well, there's still plenty of time left before the deadline and many other potential suitors. SOMEONE will get desparate enough for a bat before then.

K has the advantage right now. Best to use it for all its worth.
    I agree...no rush, but the more teams he can keep interested, the bigger advantage he will have.

Krivsky knows what he has in Dunn. He knows that once the market will get better when the trading deadline nears. Its just a game all GM's play when they are sending out feelers for whose available and for what price. The last thing Krivsky wants to do is realize that he could have gotten much more if he had waited.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Krivsky knows what he has in Dunn. He knows that once the market will get better when the trading deadline nears. Its just a game all GM's play when they are sending out feelers for whose available and for what price. The last thing Krivsky wants to do is realize that he could have gotten much more if he had waited.
    I'm all for it as long as he doesn't push it to the point where he doesn't get ANYTHING by the trade deadline when he could have gotten somehthing. Heck, I would have traded Dunn for Wood and a middle reliever. We don't need Hendrick or a starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I agree with you. I had heard somewhere, and it makes some sense, that because of Dunn's contract, his value is higher now than it will be in 6 weeks. Obviously this is just someone's opinion. But it makes some sense if the team looking to acquire Dunn is getting him for this year. They would have him for 6 weeks longer. I'm not sure I agree with this completely, because the desperation of teams will probably more than balance this out as the trade deadline approaches. Another thing to consider about the timing of trading him is the number of teams that will be looking to add a power bat and can afford his contract. Just to throw a number out, if its 5 teams right now and Wayne holds out too long asking too high of a price, 3 of those teams may fill their power needs elsewhere. When these teams make a move to fill their needs, even if their acquisition isn't as big as Dunn, they are probably out of the Dunn sweepstakes. If you wait too long and lose alot of your potential trade partners, the competition to obtain Dunn won't be as great. This may be another reason that whoever it was thought his value would be higher right now.

It's June 15th--there are six weeks until the deadline. Krivsky is under no pressure to trade Dunn now, so he might as well ask for the moon.

And if Oakland or Seattle gets involved later, Anaheim might be forced to up their offer.

This is smart negotiation. The Reds, as of right now, have all the leverage.

High five!

Why a second baseman?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Why a second baseman?
    That's exactly what I was wondering when I read that article.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    That's exactly what I was wondering when I read that article.
    I thought the same thing unless that 2B could play 3rd? The move EdE to 1st since Votto is playing some OF in the minors? That's the only thing I could think of. EdE has played really good defense since being called back up though, so I really don't know either.

Turn Off Ads?