Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA to Columbus?

Re: NBA to Columbus

In regards to Ohio St attendance, I'm sure Greg Oden and Mike Conley played a major role in that. Let's see how it balances out next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    In regards to Ohio St attendance, I'm sure Greg Oden and Mike Conley played a major role in that. Let's see how it balances out next year.
    They ranked 11th nationally in 2005-06.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Can we see 41 games with attendance like that? Not for the NBA if think. as soon as the Nat'l Championship game was over, football (spring practice) dominated the airwaves here. Outside of attendance, there is very little buzz about OSU b'ball. Even less for an NBA franchise.
    Witty signature.

OSU basketball support pales in comparison to that of OSU football. Columbus has its professional sports teams and that, for all intents and purposes, is OSU football.

Cincinnati has college basketball.

I can't see either city getting behind an NBA team. Oklahoma City deserves its chance.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Can we see 41 games with attendance like that? Not for the NBA if think. as soon as the Nat'l Championship game was over, football (spring practice) dominated the airwaves here. Outside of attendance, there is very little buzz about OSU b'ball. Even less for an NBA franchise.
    Well, first of all, I'll state that as an ex-Columbusite, I don't really care whether an NBA franchise comes to the city or not. Even if I still lived there, I *still* don't think I would care, because I just don't follow the NBA.

But this image of Columbus as an OSU-only town is really an outdated way of thinking. There's nearly 2 million people in the metro area, and the Bluejackets--despite being a truly godawful team since their arrival in 2000--have proven to be a consistently attractive draw. The Columbus Crew have also historically drawn well also, in spite of the fact that they, too, have been awful recently.

I think the NBA *could* be a draw in Columbus, at least as much as in Oklahoma City or Kansas City. But the team, like the Jackets and Crew, must eventually become competitive to maintain fan interest. The question is no longer *can* a major league team draw well in Columbus. They undoubtedly can. But merely *being* a professional team is no longer enough to bring people out to the game, being a competitive team IS.

EDIT: In addition, it should be pointed out that the Cavs had a hard time drawing 17000+ to games until LeBron came around. Between 1995-2004, only two seasons saw the Cavs with an average attendance above 17k.
    Last edited by registerthis; 06-15-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Well, first of all, I'll state that as an ex-Columbusite, I don't really care whether an NBA franchise comes to the city or not. Even if I still lived there, I *still* don't think I would care, because I just don't follow the NBA.

But this image of Columbus as an OSU-only town is really an outdated way of thinking. There's nearly 2 million people in the metro area, and the Bluejackets--despite being a truly godawful team since their arrival in 2000--have proven to be a consistently attractive draw. The Columbus Crew have also historically drawn well also, in spite of the fact that they, too, have been awful recently.

I think the NBA *could* be a draw in Columbus, at least as much as in Oklahoma City or Kansas City. But the team, like the Jackets and Crew, must eventually become competitive to maintain fan interest. The question is no longer *can* a major league team draw well in Columbus. They undoubtedly can. But merely *being* a professional team is no longer enough to bring people out to the game, being a competitive team IS.

I think Columbus would sell just as many tickets as OKC or KC, but I wonder, would the corporate dollar be there for two indoor, wintertime sports in Columbus and the Bucks?

Honestly, that's what really drives these pro leagues.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I think Columbus would sell just as many tickets as OKC or KC, but I wonder, would the corporate dollar be there for two indoor, wintertime sports in Columbus and the Bucks?
    That is a good point. No NHL teams in OKC or KC fighting for the corporate dollar.

Anyway, like I said, I really don't care whether Columbus gets an NBA team or not. It's the OSU-only image that precedes the town that I disagree with.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

Honestly, that's what really drives these pro leagues.
    Bluejackets had that same question and even with Conley and Oden, did well. Even during their sucktitude.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    What buzz do you expect? Coleman inquired about a few franchises. There isnt much more than that.

Would a thread on a big sport's team forum constitute as part of a "buzz"?

The last thing the NBA needs is another expansion team - ugh! (moving one a different story)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The last thing the NBA needs is another expansion team - ugh! (moving one a different story)
    I agree...that wont be happening.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

nba will never work in columbus...i live here and trust me...no way...if it wasnt for oden and conley, the basketbucks wouldnt get that much of a following and based on some events to honor the basketbucks i went to--even with them support was barely above average at best....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    nba will never work in columbus...i live here and trust me...no way...if it wasnt for oden and conley, the basketbucks wouldnt get that much of a following and based on some events to honor the basketbucks i went to--even with them support was barely above average at best....
    Uh, i live here too. I disagree with you and think an NBA team could work. Now what?

Porkchop Sandwiches

The truth of the matter is that the people of a city have to be hungry for and truly want a sports franchise for it to be successful, otherwise it will pass with time, no matter how successful. It seems from this thread alone that there is no consensus or overriding desire, which would not bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Uh, i live here too. I disagree with you and think an NBA team could work. Now what?
    I lived there for 26 years, and I disagree as well.

Basketball Bucks are traditionally one of the top-drawing teams in the nation if they're remotely competitive--Conley and Oden or not.

Turn Off Ads?