Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are the Reds looking for a second baseman?

Why are the Reds looking for a second baseman?

I'm sorry if this has been addressed in one of the many Dunn-related threads, but this item from today's Los Angeles Times has me wondering why the Reds are wanting, among other things, a second baseman in return.

From the L.A. Times:

"The Angels had preliminary discussions with Cincinnati about acquiring Dunn, according to a baseball source, but those talks quickly ended when the Reds requested a proven major league starting pitcher, a major league infielder — preferably a second baseman — and a top prospect.

Those demands were considered too hefty for a player whose $13-million option for 2008 would be voided if he's traded, meaning he could become a free agent after this season. The Angels probably wouldn't even trade second baseman Howie Kendrick for Dunn straight up, according to the source."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Why are the Reds looking for a second baseman?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been addressed in one of the many Dunn-related threads, but this item from today's Los Angeles Times has me wondering why the Reds are wanting, among other things, a second baseman in return.

From the L.A. Times:

"The Angels had preliminary discussions with Cincinnati about acquiring Dunn, according to a baseball source, but those talks quickly ended when the Reds requested a proven major league starting pitcher, a major league infielder — preferably a second baseman — and a top prospect.

Those demands were considered too hefty for a player whose $13-million option for 2008 would be voided if he's traded, meaning he could become a free agent after this season. The Angels probably wouldn't even trade second baseman Howie Kendrick for Dunn straight up, according to the source."

Trade Gonzo, move Phillips to short?

I doesn't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Trade Gonzo, move Phillips to short?

I doesn't know...
    That is the only thing I can come up with - at least, I hope that is the reason.

I think it has to do with the Angels prospects at that position more than that they are looking to move Phillips.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Hoard prospects, no matter where they play
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think it has to do with the Angels prospects at that position more than that they are looking to move Phillips.
    The shortstop position is where the Angels have depth. Cabrera and Aybar are already on the 25 man roster. Brandon Wood has been moved to third, but he has the athletic ability and range play shortstop. Sean Rodriguez at Arkansas looks like very good prospect.

Kendrick has been projected as a future batting champion by some scouts, but I would hate to see Dunn traded for a second baseman.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The shortstop position is where the Angels have depth. Cabrera and Aybar are already on the 25 man roster. Brandon Wood has been moved to third, but he has the athletic ability and range play shortstop. Sean Rodriguez at Arkansas looks like very good prospect.

Kendrick has been projected as a future batting champion by some scouts, but I would hate to see Dunn traded for a second baseman.
    Aybar's been playing 2B this year though (when Kendrick was out).
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Hoard prospects, no matter where they play
    But no "*****d" prospects who never pan out (like Yankee prospects )

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    But no "*****d" prospects who never pan out (like Yankee prospects )
    Braves too, Rob Bell!
    Go Gators!

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Didn't we then trade Rob Bell for Ruben Mateo and EdE?
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Phillips to third, new guy second, EE to 1st, Votto to LF. I could have just said Votto to 1st and EE to LF, but that would not be convoluted enough and makes Votto's recent forays into the L'Ville LF pasture completely meaningless,,,wait...that's probably it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Didn't we then trade Rob Bell for Ruben Mateo and EdE?
    indeed.

too bad mateo never made it. he really had a lot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Phillips to third, new guy second, EE to 1st, Votto to LF. I could have just said Votto to 1st and EE to LF, but that would not be convoluted enough and makes Votto's recent forays into the L'Ville LF pasture completely meaningless,,,wait...that's probably it.
    I think it would be new guy to third, Encarnacion either to first or traded. If he goes to first, then Votto will be traded.

Maybe because there's little organizational depth at the position.

From the L.A. Times:

"...according to a baseball source..."
    You know, there might really be a "baseball source" in this story, but that is a very vague reference to the source. This could have been credible front office person, but...really...why would anyone with a job in a baseball front office leak this story??? I doubt it could possibly have come from the Reds because Krivsky doesn't approve of discussing trades or possible trades. And, why would the Angels' front office strain relations with the Reds by leaking specifics of the players involved in the negotiations? I believe Peter Gammons does have front office connections (see Moneyball), but I am suspicious of the vague "baseball source". Now, I know some scouts will talk openly about minor league prospects that they are watching, but generally they merely speculate on potential moves because they are not paid to be privy to the actual moves of the big league club.

I believe this writer probably took a small particle of insider talk from the ballpark talk that goes around and built the story out of seemingly logical speculation.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?