Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Dunn market...and the Krivsky market...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: The Dunn market...and the Krivsky market...

One advantage we hold in trading Dunn this season, is that we don't actually have to do it. It's not like he's a FA after this season.

We can exercise our option on him next year, and trade him to a number of teams, as he doesn't have a full no trade deal.

No one is holding a gun to our head (yet).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We can exercise our option on him next year, and trade him to a number of teams, as he doesn't have a full no trade deal.
    I find it highly unlikely Dunn would hold up a trade next season. There is certainly no hurry or reason to trade Dunn and make a deal. Like Thom pointed out, if they deal dunn it is a trade on which they cannot miss.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Well IMHO the only guys that have any value right now for us are David Weathers, Adam Dunn, and Jeff Conine. Yeah there are others but these are the guys that might be able to net us something at the deadline. These guys can be replaced next year during free agency. We need to gain as much youth for the long haul, so here are my suggestions:

Trade #1: Adam Dunn to Anaheim for:
    Erick Aybar and Dustin Moseley
    ---the Angels get their slugging LF, while the Reds get a replacement for Juan Castro and get a 5th starter in Moseley. Aybar eventually takes over when Gonzo leaves.

Trade #2: David Weathers to NYYankees for:
    Joba Chamberlain
    ---the reds get a 22 year old power arm, who is currently at AA, While the Yankees shore up their late inning relief for another title run.

Trade #3: Jeff Conine to Atlanta for:
    Zach Schreiber
    ---the Reds get another 25 year old arm for late inning relief, who is currently at AA, while the Braves get a cheap good bat to strengthen the bench and can play 1b/of.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    ---the Angels get their slugging LF, while the Reds get a replacement for Juan Castro and get a 5th starter in Moseley. Aybar eventually takes over when Gonzo leaves.
    I see little evidence thay Aybar is an everyday SS. He is a poor offensive player and an erratic(if sometimes spectacular) defensive one.

The Reds better get their OF replacement for Dunn in the trade because that players isn't currently in the upper minors, if they are there at all.
    Last edited by flyer85; 06-19-2007 at 03:38 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Am I the only one who says "uggh" at that one?

I want to see a higher ceiling than those two guys

No, I "uggh'd" as well.

General question: if the Reds keep Dunn to the end of the season, and then don't renew his option, and he leaves via free agency, would they get supplemental pick compensation as a result for the 2008 draft? Because, if I understand correctly from the minors forum, that is supposed to be a very deep draft next year.

Rather than giving Dunn away for pennies on the dollar in a bad trade, I would rather watch him play this year, and get a high comp pick if such a thing is possible...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    General question: if the Reds keep Dunn to the end of the season, and then don't renew his option, and he leaves via free agency, would they get supplemental pick compensation as a result for the 2008 draft?
    As long as we offered him arbitration, we would.

The only problem I have with comp picks is that it gives Wayne and co. an excuse to draft later round talent in the first and sandwich rounds.

They get these comp picks, yet they don't seem to budget enough to really make something of them. They never seem to want to really go all in.

That's got John Allen written all over it.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    The only problem I have with comp picks is that it gives Wayne and co. an excuse to draft later round talent in the first and sandwich rounds.

They get these comp picks, yet they don't seem to budget enough to really make something of them. They never seem to want to really go all in.

They didn't draft any reaches in the early rounds this year though so I'm not so sure that that's the Reds M.O. anymore.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    They didn't draft any reaches in the early rounds this year though so I'm not so sure that that's the Reds M.O. anymore.
    Yes, but the spectre of John Allen still floats.

You're probably correct, but old habits (by that I mean MY old habits) die hard. Any time I think about the draft, I get kind of queasy feeling from stuff that happened in years passed.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I was typing a reply to this thread when I heard a loud clap of thunder and the power flickered. Then a sort of loud "click" and the power went out.

It's back now, but I don't EXACTLY remember what I was saying ... except for:

I can't blame you there wheels

Oddly enough, the Reds were one of the teams that picked stock that fell due to signability. Check the sticky on draft signings on the minor league board for an article about the 37th round pick Scott Alexander who was a top 5 round talent that fell because of money demands. He states he is open to signing for the right price, he may end up being a steal. Hardly the Sowersly Red of past. John Allen may still be here, but I don't think he has the same laison power.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I see little evidence thay Aybar is an everyday SS. He is a poor offensive player and an erratic(if sometimes spectacular) defensive one.
    What are you basing this on? Have you even seen him play???? I have and disagree, especially on the defenseive end.
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-20-2007 at 12:19 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Yes, but the spectre of John Allen still floats.

You're probably correct, but old habits (by that I mean MY old habits) die hard. Any time I think about the draft, I get kind of queasy feeling from stuff that happened in years passed.
    And rightly so. My hope is that John Allen is in the walk-in doing inventory on hot dogs right now.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think Wayne will make a bad deal for Dunn. The quesiton is whether he will deal him this year or pick up the option and deal Dunn next year.

Getting draft picks really isn't an option. Because the Reds would have to offer Dunn arbitration. I'm pretty sure that Dunn would gladly accept. If the Reds decline Dunn's 13.5 million option and offer Dunn arb, he'd surely accept and make more money. It seems like Dunn is comfortable here, it would definitely be a risk. On the other hand, if Jr and some of his other buddies were traded, maybe Dunn would opt for free agency.

I'm not a big fan of Wayne, but he's getting backed into a corner here. He almost has to trade Dunn to inject some desparately needed young talent into this organization. At the same time, Dunn's contract is going to be a hinderance to getting a good return.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?