Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver lining to tonight's loss

Hybrid View

Silver lining to tonight's loss

Yes, losing at home to the Rangers is no fun and having the worst record in baseball hinging on tomorrow's game is even less fun, but some identifiably good happened tonight.

Brad Salmon, Jonathan Coutlangus, Todd Coffey and Marcus McBeth pitched four innings of one hit, one walk, one HBP, no run, five strikeout baseball in a tight game. Jerry Narron used them and they delivered.

Of course there's always the worry he'll now use them every day until their arms fall off, but those four could bring some sanity to the bullpen for the remaining 94 games of this season.
    Last edited by M2; 06-16-2007 at 12:03 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Re: Silver lining to tonight's loss

Really good point. I just wish that Wayne had started to build a bullpen with youth last year. Better late than never, I guess.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Really good point. I just wish that Wayne had started to build a bullpen with youth last year. Better late than never, I guess.
    Well, all but McBeth were here last year in the organization. Coffey was doing his thing, Cout still needed time, and Salmon was the only one that could have used a bit of time at the ML level. I think the McBeth pick up will be another "rabbit out of the hat" deals he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Well, all but McBeth were here last year in the organization. Coffey was doing his thing, Cout still needed time, and Salmon was the only one that could have used a bit of time at the ML level. I think the McBeth pick up will be another "rabbit out of the hat" deals he makes.
    I guess I just think we should have brought up the kids earlier rather than trading for Cormier, Maj and Bray.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I guess I just think we should have brought up the kids earlier rather than trading for Cormier, Maj and Bray.
    Bingo. I think making a move for an arm or two last year was ok and appropriate. WK brought in Guardado, Maj, Bray, Cormier, Schoeneweiss, Franklin, Kim, Johnson, etc. Never gave any shot to some pretty well performing resources in the minors (Salmon, Shafer, Coutlangus to name 3). It seems these guys could have been tried before so many resources were expended on retreads. It may have laid a better foundation for the off-season and avoided the mess we've witnessed now. I might have even made the awful trade in some similar form with the idea that young arms coud shape the future, but more quality and less quantity was needed there. The extension for Cormier was just an abysmal idea and Germano seemed no big loss at the time, but his absence lead to the Lizard abuse and the desperate moves for Jason Johnson and whichever Kim they ended up with last year (Sun Woo I think).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

That's three of us in the same boat. The kids are cheaper and couldn't have done a worse job. That's not possible.

What we keep doing to trading offense for relief pitching. No GM alive, unless he's crazy would do that. You develop relief pitching and you covet guys who can drive in 100 runs. There are lots of relief pitchers out there (including the farm system) but the 100 RBI guys are few and far between.

Salmon, in particular, looked good tonight...as though he'd rediscovered the fun of throwing Strike One.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

McBeth seemed to have the best movement though he almost got tagged by Loften.

Coffey was hitting 95 consistently, and Salmon was hitting 93-94. That's big.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Those are some guys that you can really build around IMO. The Reds are a spectacular disaster from a won/loss perspective this year but I do think there are some good things coming together in the organization.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I've always like Salmons and Burns!! I really think if those two can figure out that they need to throw the pitch that got them up there then they would be ok. if they can learn when to throw an off speed pitch to the batter after they throw the fast ball one or twice to keep the batter off balance then I really do think we have found our late inning setup and closer pitchers for the future.If it all works out that way then it will be interesting to see were these to pitches in the games.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Those are some guys that you can really build around IMO. The Reds are a spectacular disaster from a won/loss perspective this year but I do think there are some good things coming together in the organization.
    And though we haven't see it much from this bullpen this year - I do believe we have some solid, young arms here and in AAA. The problem is - I don't think Narron is the one to properly utilize them, establish a set rotation, and give them a chance. He's gonna continue to haphazardly jerking them around, playing whoever and whenever.

I heard that Stanton "tweeked" his hammy and could be DL'd. True?

What could prove interesting is that I've been reading that Guardado and Bray are real close to coming back.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-17-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And though we haven't see it much from this bullpen this year - I do believe we have some solid, young arms here and in AAA. The problem is - I don't think Narron is the one to properly utilize them, establish a set rotation, and give them a chance. He's gonna continue to haphazardly jerking them around, playing whoever and whenever.

I heard that Stanton "tweeked" his hammy and could be DL'd. True?

What could prove interesting is that I've been reading that Guardado and Bray are real close to coming back.
    The tweaked hammy happened in his at bat last night while attempting to run to first, so I think it's legit...although I don't know if it's serious enough to be put on the DL.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    The tweaked hammy happened in his at bat last night while attempting to run to first, so I think it's legit...although I don't know if it's serious enough to be put on the DL.
    On the DL. Reds recalled Michael Gosling.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I like silver linings. I'd also like to see Todd Coffey's yoyo string get tangled while it's in the up position for a change. Maybe the youthful exuberance of his new bullpen mates will be the tonic that's needed to keep Mr. Coffey wearing the cap with the Wishbone C for his longest stint of the season?
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?