Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silver lining to tonight's loss

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: Silver lining to tonight's loss

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think it could be called a "rebuilding, go with veteran filler until the youth are ready" plan, and it might have some merit.
    It would have merit if the vets were actually outperforming the youth, which they haven't been. As is, it has just been a waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere more productively.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It would have merit if the vets were actually outperforming the youth, which they haven't been. As is, it has just been a waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere more productively.
    That's probably true, and the argument I'm making isn't the strongest one, but I'm not sure anyone expects a GM to go the full Tampa Bay $24 million payroll, 8,000 fans a night in hopes of a charmed season somewhere in the future plan.

I think this is what rebuilding usually looks like. Improvements in the system aren't as obvious as the toll it takes on the major league performance.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I don't want either of the Florida plans really, but you have to admit that both of those franchises know how to maximize the trade value of their players. I think rebuilding can look a variety of ways, but successful rebuilding always involves the savvy use of limited resources. Krivsky has been a good dumpster diver, but he's often squandered the money he's saved.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

That's probably true, and the argument I'm making isn't the strongest one, but I'm not sure anyone expects a GM to go the full Tampa Bay $24 million payroll, 8,000 fans a night in hopes of a charmed season somewhere in the future plan.

I think this is what rebuilding usually looks like. Improvements in the system aren't as obvious as the toll it takes on the major league performance.
    All I want to see is Votto playing 1B and the bullpen made up of the younger pitchers.....unfortunately, we basically have to wait until the season is wasted for this managment to try it.

Also, either sign Dunn for 6 years or trade him. His 500 ft HR's are doing little good right now.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Not sure anyone is suggesting the Tampa Bay Route. Spend it on good players not dreck.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If you are waiting for the youth to be ready, then the vets performance compared to the youth's performance is not the decision point. The vets are buying time for your year or two away guys to be ready, or to ease the young guys into every day major league life.

For example, I like that Weathers is in the pen right now as the young guys are assuming a more prominent role in the later innings in closer games. Then, if they flip him for a prospect in a month, the young guys can attempt to take another step forward. Pretty soon, you have guys learning on the job and you hope to see the performances become more consistent in the second half of the season, and all of a sudden you don't have a lost season at all.

I think if Hatty and Conine were doing terrible....Votto would be here.
    But why not give him a year in Triple A or at least half of it?

All will be settled by July......either there is a magic turnaround or half the team is gone.

The point is, if Votto were here, he could be learning from guys like Hatteberg. And, the bench wouldn't have to include Juan Castro as a pinch hitter with the game on the line.

If the BP is full of kids plus Weathers, then they could maybe pitch more than once a week without needing oxygen. So maybe the Reds could carry 11 pitchers. Then dump Moeller and let Conine and Hatteberg bolster the bench.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Those are some guys that you can really build around IMO. The Reds are a spectacular disaster from a won/loss perspective this year but I do think there are some good things coming together in the organization.
    And though we haven't see it much from this bullpen this year - I do believe we have some solid, young arms here and in AAA. The problem is - I don't think Narron is the one to properly utilize them, establish a set rotation, and give them a chance. He's gonna continue to haphazardly jerking them around, playing whoever and whenever.

I heard that Stanton "tweeked" his hammy and could be DL'd. True?

What could prove interesting is that I've been reading that Guardado and Bray are real close to coming back.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-17-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

wrong thread sorry
    Last edited by Marc D; 06-17-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And though we haven't see it much from this bullpen this year - I do believe we have some solid, young arms here and in AAA. The problem is - I don't think Narron is the one to properly utilize them, establish a set rotation, and give them a chance. He's gonna continue to haphazardly jerking them around, playing whoever and whenever.

I heard that Stanton "tweeked" his hammy and could be DL'd. True?

What could prove interesting is that I've been reading that Guardado and Bray are real close to coming back.
    The tweaked hammy happened in his at bat last night while attempting to run to first, so I think it's legit...although I don't know if it's serious enough to be put on the DL.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    The tweaked hammy happened in his at bat last night while attempting to run to first, so I think it's legit...although I don't know if it's serious enough to be put on the DL.
    On the DL. Reds recalled Michael Gosling.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?