Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I Truly Do Have a Sickness

Worth The Wait

I Truly Do Have a Sickness

I am a weak, sick, sad, little (well not so little) man. I am pathetic. A disgrace. An anti-role model.

I've been following the Reds all year, but I've avoided much of the frustration due to the fact that I've been able to involve myself so fully in the Cleveland Cavs' post-season run. Win or lose, I knew the Cavs season would eventually end-- but I figured I'd be so content by then, and we'd be so far along into the summer, that I'd be able to let the Reds just drift away into this dreadful season without so much as a blip on my radar screen.

But there I was last night, finding myself frustrated during the late innings. I found myself willing Josh Hamilton's final fly ball over the fence-- it came up way, way short.

What's the old saying about the definition of insanity equals doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Well, I keep finding myself looking at the standings and I keep finding myself saying, "well, if we could work our way into third place........"

It would be one thing if we were the 15th or 16th best team in MLB and I was concoting rationalizations for success. But we are quite possibly the VERY worst team in all of baseball (including the Cape Cod league) and yet I still find myself tuning in. It would be another thing if I tuned in just because it was baseball, and I wanted to soak in the sweet smells of the summer game. But I keep tuning in and REALLY rooting for the Reds, and I continue to wind up frustrated.

Once again, I'm Charlie Brown and the Reds are Lucy. I continue to wind up on my a**, while the Reds look down on me wondering, "how stupid can you be?"

I avoid checking the standings as much as possible thesedays, but I did take a peak this morning.

My thought? "Well, 11.5 games out isn't THAT bad...."

Please someone shoot me now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I Truly Do Have a Sickness

Shoot me next, I have the same symptoms.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

You are not sick. You are a dedicated fan. I appreciate dedicated fans. The dedicated fan doesn't always say nice things about their team, but they stick with them all the time. They will watch or listen to them regardless of their record.

The sick ones (and the ones that make me sick) are the ones that hop on for the ride during the good times. Bandwagon fans. Can't stand and don't need 'em.

Been a long and rough ride for us. But we are dedicated. Dedication is a good thing... not an illness!

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You are not sick. You are a dedicated fan. I appreciate dedicated fans. The dedicated fan doesn't always say nice things about their team, but they stick with them all the time. They will watch or listen to them regardless of their record.

The sick ones (and the ones that make me sick) are the ones that hop on for the ride during the good times. Bandwagon fans. Can't stand and don't need 'em.

Been a long and rough ride for us. But we are dedicated. Dedication is a good thing... not an illness!

All kidding aside this is pretty much how I feel also. As I've said before: I like being addicted to Reds baseball. Even when they're bad it's still fun to be a dedicated fan.

Cowbell?
    Go Gators!

I've got a fever.

Worth The Wait

You wanna delve deeper into my illness?

How about this....

My wife and I are driving up to Breckenridge in about a week to spend a few days just chilling. One of my very first thoughts was this......

Ah, it will be so nice to just sit on the porch out in nature, surrounded by the mountains, amongst the wildlife, away from the hustle and monotony of the work week............And the Reds play the Phillies that week, so I need to be sure and bring all of my XM gear and I really hope the reception is good and blah blah blah..........

There is a certain fasination in watching a car crash in slow motion.

Rem

Well, there was that episode of "The Simpsons" that made light of MLB controlling people's thoughts through satellite transmissions. Maybe there's more truth to that than we thought.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well, there was that episode of "The Simpsons" that made light of MLB controlling people's thoughts through satellite transmissions. Maybe there's more truth to that than we thought.
    "Dingers! Dingers!"
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

Very true, if it's one thing I think most if not all of Redszone can agree on is bandwagon fans make me wanna hurl!!!
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-16-2007 at 11:43 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Hi everyone, I am professional baseball player Mark McGuire, watch me hit the ball far..........
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This team is only a few short games out of second....

I'm sick too...

They are in second, second from last :-) Yea, count me in, I can't stop myself from watching and reading. I shake my head and laugh at myself sometimes for sitting in my Lazy Boy drinking an ice cold beer while I could be and should be doing something productive. But, watching the Reds is what I do, have always done, be it radio as a kid or TV now I like rooting for them. First place would be nice but just rooting one game at a time is fine too. I'll be looking on the Zone for some good tickets in the next few weeks or month so if someont gets wind of a good deal on at least four tickets please write to me.

We're behind the Pirates, the PIRATES for Goodness sakes! get HELP!
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?