Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Kyle Loshe?

What to do with Kyle Loshe?

This subject has somewhat been asked somewhat before in the thread about signing him to an extension. He is a good starting pitcher who will give you 6 inning and 3 ER a game.He is a pitcher who can be inconsistant, but he is a good back-of-the rotation starter who will help any team. The trade deadline is approaching,and if we cannot sign him to an extension, we might have to trade him. I would like to sign him to an extension if it is possible. We will have a lot of salary coming off the payroll at the end of the year,and some of that could be used for Loshe. I think we should try to keep him in our rotation. However, this may not be possible,and in this case we should look at seeing what prospects we could get for him. Would Redzone work to resign him, and/or what prospects would you like to see us get if an extension cannot be reached?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do with Kyle Loshe?

In my opinion, I think the Reds should trade Lohse by the All-Star break and get whatever they can get for him. I agree in that he has been a pretty decent pitcher so far this season, but his career numbers still scream inconsistancy. With the money that the market will be demanding for him, I just can't see any positives out of signing Loshe to a long-term contract. Just too risky and costly considering the numbers I see on the back of his baseball card.

Time is the Revelator.

I like Lohse. He isn't old, and he can be a solid pitcher at times. Yes, an inconsistent one, but no Cincinnati Red in ... say ... 10 years has been consistently good, right? Right. So, let's not act like we're better than Loshe, cause quiet frankly, we're not. I would like to see him extended, and continue to pitch in a Reds uniform. Let's be honest, he is a typical "back of a rotation" guy, but for the Reds, that equals a top of the rotation guy, amirite? Yeah, I am. At least this year, and years past - and probably a few more years after this season.

If we're offered something outrageous that we should not refuse, then I'm all for striking a deal, but if it's just going to turn into another Majewski, or some "average" minor leaguer, than no - keep him.

for whatever reason he looks good some nights and bad others.
    His fastball is impressive,but something is missing mentally.
    He's had time to show what he has, but i would trade him as
    i dont see him as part of the future.

I'd like to keep Kyle Lohse, he is still young and if we can get him cheap enough he'd be a nice 4 or 5 starter for a few years to come.

I would deal Lohse for whatever I could get for him. He's a decent pitcher, but his asking price is going to be much more than the $4M he's getting this year. The Reds can't afford to give that to a guy who is just average - especially when the real problem with the pitching staff is the bullpen, not the rotation.

Hope he goes lights out his next 4 or 5 starts and sell immediately. It will be the easiest decision the FO will make this year.

wonder if WK will actually deal him. since he brought him
    over from Minnesota. If we can get a descent arm for him
    i say do it.He is a FA after this year

His career has been defined by inconsistency and he's represented by Scott Boras. He'll be demanding market value and then some. Signing him to an extension will likely mean overpaying him. The Reds will be just getting out from under the Milton contract, lets not lock into another bad contract. They fell for career years from Jimmy Haynes and Paul Wilson, resulting in bad contracts, do not let that history repeat itself. Lohse has good stuff, better than either of them, but time after time he's proved himself inconsistent. Only a few weeks ago people were talking about DFA'ing him, now contract extensions are being discussed? Buy Low, Sell High= trade him soon, before his dark side rears it's ugly head again...

I agree, I think you have to trade him before the deadline and get what you can. He needs to pitch the way he has the past few outings and hope a team overpays. He will command much more money next season and I am not sure he is worth that.

If he would sign an extension for around the same price I wouldn't mind keeping him. I have often wondered about him as a closer. He has lights out stuff when he is on, but you just never know what you're going to get out of him.

He has been quoted as saying he is interested in an extension with the Reds. My heart says sign him to an extension,and my head tell me it will probably be too expensive for the Reds. If we could get a similar deal like the ones we did with Harang and Arroyo, I would work on it. It all depends on how he is pitching
    at the trading deadline. With Scott Boras as his agent, if he is doing well he will be trying to cash in. Krisky will sign him to an extension if he has a good year, but he will trade him if his price gets too high.

Unfortunately, the Reds don't have as much extra money as you think next year. The money saved from Milton's contract expiring is already spent in raises for current players. I realize the team salary will probably increase a certain percentage to take care of some of this money, but between Arroyo, Harang, Ross, Stanton, Weathers, and Gonzo their salaries increase a combined 9 mil. That wipes out Milton's money. If Dunn is moved, we will have some extra money(and I think this needs to happen). But, I don't think the money should be spent on Lohse. I suspect that K will try first to pick up a young starter in the Dunn trade, if it happens. This would give us Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Homer, and new guy. The reds are also going to have to pay Phillips, EE, Belisle in the next few years and locking up Lohse long term could hurt this. Without a significant increase in overall salary, the Reds can't afford to pay 7-8 mil (which is what Boras will want) for a #4 or #5 starter.

What to do with Lohse may very well depend on the alternatives, which is why I hope we'll get some looks at Livingston, Dumatrait, maybe even Gosling, Elizardo. Will we want to pay say 8 or 9 million for the difference between Lohse and, say, Elizardo next year? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What to do with Lohse may very well depend on the alternatives, which is why I hope we'll get some looks at Livingston, Dumatrait, maybe even Gosling, Elizardo. Will we want to pay say 8 or 9 million for the difference between Lohse and, say, Elizardo next year? Probably not.

Right now, I'd take my chances with Ez over Loshe. Ez might top out at a number four/five in the roation..but he showed some really good starts last year before his shoulder injury. I'd really like to see him healthy and ready to pitch in the majors again.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Like I said, it is my heart which wishes we could keep Loshe. We will probably end up trading him for a couple of prospects near the trading deadline.

Turn Off Ads?