Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez

5 7.58%
  • Josh Hamilton and Alex Gonzalez

61 92.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would you rather have?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Who would you rather have?

Reasons would be fine, too...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who would you rather have?

I'd take Hamilton and A-Gonz based on the following:

It is starting to look more and more like Felipe's '05 was more the exception than the rule on the offensive side of the equation. Also, A-Gonz's defense may have been over hyped coming in here but it is still substantially better than Felipe's D at SS imo.

Hamilton v. Kearns is maybe a little murkier at this point in time but I think I would go with Hamilton's higher ceiling for whatever that may be worth. I think he brings a better overall skill set to the table than Kearns. No numbers to back that up, just my personal feeling. Outstanding arm, maybe not as fundamentally sound in the outfield as Kearns. I guess one way to phrase it is Hamilton tends to make the more spectacular play whereas with Kearns he is very solid if not spectacular and you know what you'll get from him in the field on a daily basis. From the offensive side, if both reached full potential I think Hamilton would be a far better player, again, nothing to back that up, just my gut instinct.

I'll take Kearns Hamilton and Phillips at SS.

What I do not want is Magic and Bray

Go Gators!

I want Hamilton in the OF, Phillips at SS, and some better players in return for Kearns and Lopez.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I know Hamilton is getting all the love now but overall its pretty much a push.

2005 looks like it was the high water mark for FeLo but Gonzalez isn't what he was billed to be defensively and will come crashing back to earth with the bat. Seems they both are just meh and Gonzo is older and more expensive. If feLo was still here he could be at 2B with BP at SS and what have you really lost? AG's career year so far, big whoop.

AK was once the can't miss, wunderkid, dripping natural talent player of the future too. Both give you above average defense but CF is more important so Hamilton looks to have the advantage there. Thing with Hamilton is that for all his upside, he is always one ever so small slip up away from being gone forever.

All in all I'd take Hamilton and Gonzo but its not the landslide it looks at first glance. Also, I hope this isn't a way of trying to justify The Trade. FeLO and AK were not traded for Gonzo and JH.

honestly we could use a Right handed bat like Kearns...

I would have really liked a RF Kearns CF Hamilton LF Griffey 1B Dunn SS Phillips

2B FLO
    SS Phillips
    LF Griffey
    RF Kearns
    LF Dunn
    3B Encarnacion
    CF Hamilton
    C Ross

I think thats a sick sick offense.

If you trade just FLO for say.. Bray and Thompson and insert Gonzo at SS

2B Phillips
    CF Hamilton
    LF Griffey
    RF Kearns
    1B Dunn
    3B Encarnacion
    SS Gonzo
    C Ross

thats still a really good offensive squad and an above average defense squad.

IMO that trade set us back 2 years... I think Kearns was a guy we needed to keep due to his defensive prowess...

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'd rather have Hamilton and Gonzalez for financial reasons.

I want Harris at 2nd, Phillips at SS, and Hamilton in CF.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I want Harris at 2nd, Phillips at SS, and Hamilton in CF.
    Me too. I can't believe we let Harris go like that. So stupid... if he were here hitting the way he is now, The Trade might not look quite so abysmal.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Payroll flexibility is useful when the club is in rebuilding mode. The new guys provide the club with more of that than the old guys did.
    /r/reds

Payroll flexibility is useful when the club is in rebuilding mode.
    Wayne did wonders with it in the offseason.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Wayne did wonders with it in the offseason.
    Even if you don't like what he does with it, you have to admit that it's a big excuse for him to hide behind if he doesn't have it.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Me too. I can't believe we let Harris go like that. So stupid... if he were here hitting the way he is now, The Trade might not look quite so abysmal.
    unfortunate for us we had no place for him to play. he never showed enough(granted little chance)to move phillips to short to give him a shot at second. fortunate for harris tampa was a perfect fit for him to get that chance.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I don't think anyone really thought that the departure of AK and Lopez was wrong. It was the return that WK got for them. The question should be: AK and Lopez or Bray and Maj?

Are we sure that if AK was here, Hamilton wouldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't think anyone really thought that the departure of AK and Lopez was wrong. It was the return that WK got for them. The question should be: AK and Lopez or Bray and Maj?
    Exactly. The Reds gave Kearns and Lopez away.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?