Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo Has a Tired Arm, Per Arroyo

Arroyo Has a Tired Arm, Per Arroyo

“I’m fine,” he said. “But I don’t feel strong, but nothing’s bothering me. I don’t feel like have as much zip on my fastball. That can pose a problem. People don’t have to respect my off-speed stuff as much.”

“You’re always tooling with your diet and your supplements and your workouts,” he said. “I got a find to a way to get back where I’m strong enough to beat guys with a fastball even when they know it’s coming.”
    Quotes c/o Fay.

Does this not sound like a guy with a worn down arm? It sure sounds like all the innings and pitches he has thrown over the past year and 2 months is catching up him.

What do you do now? DL? Skip a start?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    throws 106. NBD.

Re: Arroyo Has a Tired Arm, Per Arroyo

I think the DL could do him some good. Let him get some rest and bring up Livingston for 3 or 4 starts. Bobby can't do any worse than Arroyo is now and Arroyo can give his arm a break.

Livingston will get rocked. The "can't do any worse" theory doesn't hold water.

I don't see a DL stint as an option. There's nothing close to being ready to fill in the void. Elizardo isn't ready, Dumatrait and Livingston will get rocked, and outside of that all of our prospects are a year away.

With an offday Thursday, the only option is to skip him, IMO.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Does this not sound like a guy with a worn down arm?
    It certainly does. What really bothered me during the game today was that his fastball was consistently hitting 86 on the gun. Usually he's right at 90 or even 91. That's a huge difference for a pitcher like Arroyo as the hitters are already going to be waiting on his slow breaking stuff. With the fastball only topping out in the mid 80s, it's MUCH easier to get around on the 4 seamer than it was previously. Couple that with the fact his breaking balls are nowhere near as sharp or located anywhere near as well as they used to be, and what you get is a skyrocketing ERA.

I really hope Arroyo skips a start or is even put on the 15 day DL. He's only hurting the team right now, and there's no point in risking a more serious injury when he's got the recently signed extension. It'd be one thing if this team was contending. It's quite another when they're consistently losing to the worst teams in baseball and currently occupy the cellar.

He did pitch a lot of innings last year. It is possible all those innings had a negative impact on him.

uoduck1017

I don't see a DL stint as an option. There's nothing close to being ready to fill in the void. Elizardo isn't ready, Dumatrait and Livingston will get rocked, and outside of that all of our prospects are a year away.

I understand that you might be a little pessimistic given the team's performance this year, but give it a chance. Sooner or later, the organization is going to need to know if Livingston can stay with the big club. This means many outings in a row, even if he gets "rocked" for one or two. None of us know how he will perform, and we certainly won't know if we don't give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    I understand that you might be a little pessimistic given the team's performance this year, but give it a chance. Sooner or later, the organization is going to need to know if Livingston can stay with the big club. This means many outings in a row, even if he gets "rocked" for one or two. None of us know how he will perform, and we certainly won't know if we don't give him a chance.
    He gives up too many baserunners and doesn't strike out enough guys. Not a recipe for success.

There is a reason they brought up Gosling and not Livingston today.

uoduck1017

I thought they brought up Gosling simply for the bullpen, and Livingston would be called up if a starter was needed.

throws 106. NBD.

Livingston pitched "ok" his first start and pretty damn good in his second start this year. Arroyo has been nothing short of terrible the past month. Livingston may get rocked, he may not. I just know that I do not look forward to days that Arroyo starts these days and think the rest would help. It certainly can't hurt him to skip a few starts.

throws 106. NBD.

He gives up too many baserunners and doesn't strike out enough guys. Not a recipe for success.

There is a reason they brought up Gosling and not Livingston today.
    As a short term thing I don't think it is as bad as you make it out. Sure, over the long haul I don't want to see Livingston in the starting rotation but I don't think he is a bad fill in when a guy goes on the DL.

If you look at Livingston's starts, he was very lucky.

12 IP, 17 H, 2 BB, 1 K

You're not going to have success with those numbers.

I'd much rather see Livingston come up, get shelled and Arroyo get some rest, than Arroyo continue to get shelled with a tired arm and possibly do some long term damage...

RedsFanJim

Hopefully Bronson can get some help and get a little rest and stay strong throughout the rest of the season.

PS, does anyone happen to know what the name of the song they always play on the video board before the game that is sung by Bronson?

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanJim View Post
    Hopefully Bronson can get some help and get a little rest and stay strong throughout the rest of the season.

PS, does anyone happen to know what the name of the song they always play on the video board before the game that is sung by Bronson?
    I've seen Wonderwall and I think the other song was a Hootie and the Blowfish song but I can't remember.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
    I'd much rather see Livingston come up, get shelled and Arroyo get some rest, than Arroyo continue to get shelled with a tired arm and possibly do some long term damage...
    Absolutely, I didn't need to hear any quotes from Bronson that he's tired. It was obvious from his pitches. He needs to shut it down for 2 weeks and recoup. This season's a wash and there is no reason to do further damage to one of this club's few blue chip assets.

Turn Off Ads?