Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

[QUOTE=WilyMoROCKS]Agree with everything you just said. Germany allowed themselves to be taken in by the Italians negative tactics and quit doing the things that had them playing such wonderful, attacking soccer throughout this World Cup. [QUOTE]

I thought Italy committed to attack much more than usual, and it made for periods of wide-open attacking soccer. I thought their passing was creative and intricate and Pirlo especially was very enjoyable to watch. Germany played hard and showed endeavor and pace that threatened Italy's defense at times, but they only created a few half-chances. Buffon only had to make a few saves, and none of the saves were of the "tough" variety. I think Germany's squad is young and has to be very satisfied with a semifinal loss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I must have been watching a different game. I thought this game was very open and played well. I saw nothing overly physical or wrong with the game.

I thought both teams could have claimed a deserving win and without having one side to root for, I was impressed.

I think acting like the Italian side is just a bunch of whiny, non talented players just pushing by is wrong. And saying that Italy won just because they trapped Germany into a dirty game is weird. I saw very few hard fouls, flops, or yellow cards.

My two cents.
    I also thought it was a good game, with a minimal amount of hard fouls and a lot of skill and hard work displayed by both squads.

[QUOTE=Betterread][QUOTE=WilyMoROCKS]Agree with everything you just said. Germany allowed themselves to be taken in by the Italians negative tactics and quit doing the things that had them playing such wonderful, attacking soccer throughout this World Cup.

I thought Italy committed to attack much more than usual, and it made for periods of wide-open attacking soccer. I thought their passing was creative and intricate and Pirlo especially was very enjoyable to watch. Germany played hard and showed endeavor and pace that threatened Italy's defense at times, but they only created a few half-chances. Buffon only had to make a few saves, and none of the saves were of the "tough" variety. I think Germany's squad is young and has to be very satisfied with a semifinal loss.
    They should be very satisfied. Ballack was obviously not totally fit and played a pretty poor game. Other than that they seem loaded for 06 in South Africa. If the tournament even stays in South Africa
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

OK, first off, I don't know diddly squat about soccer. But I've watched a couple of games, and I've never seen so much crying and flopping and whining in my life.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and admittedly I know little if anything about the sport. But give me a break.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    OK, first off, I don't know diddly squat about soccer. But I've watched a couple of games, and I've never seen so much crying and flopping and whining in my life.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and admittedly I know little if anything about the sport. But give me a break.
    And that's probably why it'll be quite some time before world soccer is accepted by the general population of the US. It's unamerican to flop.

I remember watching the last world cup that was held in Germany. It was the first real soccer I had ever seen. I can remember thinking "that guy might need an amputation, but they're still playing". I soon realized it was mostly a farse (the injury machinations). As a "rub some dirt on it" American, I thought this was ridiculous.

I must have been watching a different game. I thought this game was very open and played well. I saw nothing overly physical or wrong with the game.

I thought both teams could have claimed a deserving win and without having one side to root for, I was impressed.

I think acting like the Italian side is just a bunch of whiny, non talented players just pushing by is wrong. And saying that Italy won just because they trapped Germany into a dirty game is weird. I saw very few hard fouls, flops, or yellow cards.

My two cents.
    I never said they didn't have talent. I think Italy has a very talented side. I don't even mind that they get physical with the other team. It just bugs me to no end when they play rough on defense, get the ball, dive, act like they've been shot, and plead for the foul, or worse, for the card. I saw it all game. Italy on offense, Germany player challenges Italian player, Italian flops and acts like he's been mortally wounded. Whistle or no whistle, German extends hand to help up Italian. Half the time, Italian ignores it and continues to roll around like an idiot. 30 seconds later, Italian is making the same kind of hard challenge on a German. The Italians have been playing the same game all through the tournament. The Italians have one of the most talented teams in the tournament. They can win without the dramatics.

I was just disappointed to see the Germans get sucked in by that. The ref called a good half for most of the first half and for the most part let the players play, then a few calls went the Italians way, the ref missed a few against the Germans, then the Germans are running around with their arms in the air trying to draw the ref's attention to a foul rather than trying to get the ball back. A good team doesn't let the other guys' tactics or the ref's perceived slights get in the way of winning.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62

Yeah, I never thought it was possible for athletes to whine more than NBA players, but "footballers" are much further advanced in this art form than even the NBA...... even Karl Malone.

I played soccer my entire life and I love watching good soccer just ever so slightly less than baseball (the world cup even more). But diving and the dramatics is so infuriating to me that it tempts me to just stop watching altogether. FIFA has never addressed it and I'm not sure why. Even European fans admit that it's a huge problem.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I just watched the highlight of Italy's first goal and there are three German defenders standing around who didn't even attempt to defend the ball, before it was passed or after it was passed. They were already thinking about their penalty kicks. They deserved what they got. BTW, I've never been a fan of Germany at all. On the contrary, they've been one of my least favorite national teams over the past decade, so it's not like I have any love for them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I was sad to see my Germans go out, but they were soundly beaten by a better team. The fact that the game went into to ET belies the fact that Italy kicked the German's collective rear up and down the field. Germany stayed in it with grit and determination, but the deserving team won. I'm still immensely proud of the national side. Now if my homeland could just do as well as my mother's...

As for my interests the rest of the cup, I'll go with the Bleus. I have an inate genetic aversion to all things French, but I can put it aside since the other two choices are Italy and Portugal.

My two cents.
    I agree with you 100% I guess we were watching a different game.

I thought the game was entertaining though Italy went into a shell in the second half. They didn't make a seroius attack for that entire 45 minutes.

To their credit, they flipped the switch in overtime. Pirlo made an incredible play setting up that first goal.

On the subject of "worst team to make a World Cup final," IMO there's been a lot of deadly dull clubs that have done it of late. Germany in 2002 might be fresh in people's minds, but Italy in 1994 and Argentina in 1990 were awful to watch. Both those clubs specialized in pointless backwards passing. In fact, Argentina scored a grand total of five goals in seven games.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    On the subject of "worst team to make a World Cup final," IMO there's been a lot of deadly dull clubs that have done it of late. Germany in 2002 might be fresh in people's minds, but Italy in 1994 and Argentina in 1990 were awful to watch. Both those clubs specialized in pointless backwards passing. In fact, Argentina scored a grand total of five goals in seven games.
    I can't remember a more exciting national team to watch than Italy in 1994, for precisely that reverse reasoning. They never should have gotten to the final, but they pulled it out at the last minute every time. The first game against Ireland and the final against Brazil were boring as heck, but all the games in between were nail-biters. They had excellent defense and couldn't score for crap. This drew the games out and in a weird way I found that very exciting.

But I am an Italian fan til death (one reason I haven't been able to really participate in many WC discussions this year), and Maldini was still playing then, so there you go.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I can't remember a more exciting national team to watch than Italy in 1994, for precisely that reverse reasoning. They never should have gotten to the final, but they pulled it out at the last minute every time. The first game against Ireland and the final against Brazil were boring as heck, but all the games in between were nail-biters. They had excellent defense and couldn't score for crap. This drew the games out and in a weird way I found that very exciting.

But I am an Italian fan til death (one reason I haven't been able to really participate in many WC discussions this year), and Maldini was still playing then, so there you go.
    They were dramatic, but they bored me to tears. That team rarely even attempted to attack in the offensive zone. Though Baggio was freakish with the late goals. IIRC, he scored most of them on one-man rushes.

Portugal and France are playing at a furious pace to start. Portugal's had three great chances inside the first ten mintues. Looks like Barthez is going to be tested today.

I think that whenever play is stopped for an "injured" player, that player should be required to remain out of play for 3-4 minutes. That would cut out a lot of this flopping crap that kills the flow of the game.

I am SO sick of seeing players carted off on a stretcher b/c they wanted to prevent a counter and then hopping up 1 second after leaving the field of play to be reinstated into play by the ref.

Turn Off Ads?